Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: So who is your insurance carrier and what do your rates look like

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    1923tbucket is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1941 Willys Pickup

So who is your insurance carrier and what do your rates look like

I went and got a quote through Hagerty and they want 641 per year at 30k in coverage on the car. My normal insurance provider wont cover the street rod yet they covered my 69 mustang as a classic w/ 25k of insurance on that(cant really figure that out).

Oldmanb is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 31 Chrysler

Wow, ! That's a lot. In my area, in Canada, my rate in $247.00, for full coverage, except glass, 1 million dollar liability,$100.00 deductible,through a company called Aviva, (Not sure if this is a USA company or only in Canada. A freind of mine has used them for years, had a few claims and never a problem.Brian

rspears is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '33 HiBoy Coupe, '32 HiBoy Roadster

Nate,
    You might ask them how much of that premium is linked to your age, which was stated to be 25 in your first post not long ago. I expect that is jacking your premium some.
    Roger
    Enjoy the little things in life, and you may look back one day and realize that they were really the BIG things.

itsmeb is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1930 chevrolet 2 dr Sedan

I am in S.C. and have my insurance with Grundy. Excellent coverage at $188 per year on $20,000 replacement.

Bob Parmenter is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 32, 40 Fords,

Comparing premium rates across state lines is pretty much a waste of time. Each state has it's own requirements for minimum coverages for such things as uninsured motorist, property damage, personal liability, and so on. Secondly the insurance company calculates loss probability based on local loss experience. So, for instance, if you live in a high auto theft area, the likelihood of theft is higher, therefore the premiums will be higher. Also, for example, if you lived in a comparatively low crime, low population area like South Dakota, your premiums for the same company, same car, same valuation, same driver profile, would be lower because the risks for loss would be lower.

I have policies on old cars with both Hagerty and Grundy. On completed, road worthy cars I use Grundy because in comparison of IDENTICAL coverage their premiums are somewhat lower. However, they would not cover my cars under construction, but Hagerty will. In your area, others of the companies that some may recommend may be more competitive, but it's up to you to do the legwork to get quotes for exactly the same coverage to determine who will give you the best overall deal.
    Last edited by Bob Parmenter; 05-06-2010 at 10:21 AM.
    Your Uncle Bob, Senior Geezer Curmudgeon

It's much easier to promise someone a "free" ride on the wagon than to urge them to pull it.

Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity converge.

Oldmanb is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 31 Chrysler

Ya, The age thing is probably a big factor for sure.

John Palmer is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 High Boy, '60 VW, Teardrop Trailers

I have been with Grundy for over seven years. They easy to work with and IMO have very fair rates for the coverage. Not sure you can compare rates state to state because of all of the variables.

I see that AAA is trying to get into the collector car business and have had booths at many car shows. It made sense to me that I have all of my insurance policies with a single company (my home, car, p/u truck, motorcycle, and my hot rod). So I stopped by to talk it over with the AAA collector car insurance rep's at Del Mar Good Guys and have them give me a quote. They called me back three weeks later, and told me that they would be happy to write my hot rod for the $45K agreed value (at the same rate as my current Grundy policy). But they could not increase the policy value to the $65K that I desired, because they place the policy value ON THE AVERAGE PRICE OF A 1932 FORD ROADSTER AT AUCTION, and NO 1932 FORD ROADSTER IS WORTH MORE THAN $45k! I told them that they have to be kidding, there is no average car, only a average of prices between many different quality levels of cars. This is not agreed value, it's more like stated value. They obviously have underwriters that do not understand the collector car market (yet), IMO.

I renewed again with Grundy. They made the change in agreed value and sent me a bill with 30 day terms, very easy.

hmmm ok thanks guys, im a member through AAA as well and could check them out but I think i'll look at Grundy. Yea my age probably does have something to do with it but im not sure as "adult rate" here supposidly starts at 25. Im fortunate to have a car like this and just happened to be in the right place at the right time, ive been spending hours in the garage with her going over and cleaning every nut and bolt.

IC2
    IC2 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

I've had Sneed but Grundy was about half of their price on my agreed value of $35K @$316. Hagerty was significantly more and with driving limitations for miles and type of driving (parades, shows etc) - at least for NY State.
    Dave W
    I am now gone from this forum for now - finally have pulled the plug

1gary is offline Banned Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1985 high top Astro van

I think like so many times I have been advise,you can never have too much insurance.If a claim is resolved in court and it goes beyond the coverage,you pay.That could get very scarcely in a hurry.Also the replacement costs of our beloved hot rods in a crash without enough coverage could be a real heart breaker.
    Good Bye

Well I went and received a quote from grundy at 195 I think thats every 6 months so that a little more reasonable. So I submitted that and should be good to go.

HOSS429 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

i did not have a pleasant expierence with hagerty on my hot rods ,, my insurance is with my normal carrier ,, alfa

Yea hagerty seems outrageous on a car that im lucky to drive 2000 miles a year that sits 98% of the time and never sees weather. Not to mention around here will be parked 5 months out of the year.

Bruce lee is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 27 Ford Roadster

Grundy, agreed value 35000. 2000 miles a year, 70 years old, 225 a year.

26Tudor is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 26 T Tudor, '57 VW ragtop

Grundy, $30k replacement, agreed value on a 1926 T Tudor, 58 year old guy, 171 a year.

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast