Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Started Another

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SCSTRANSPORT is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 69 FORD-66 BUICK

Started Another

HOPPING PAUL KANE WILL READ THIS BUT ALWAYS OPEN TO OTHERS OPINION TO. I BOUGHT A FORD F-350 CREW CAB SHORT BED 4X4 WITH 38.5 TIRES AND A 400M MAYBE A 351M IN IT WHICH IS GOING TO BE GOING OUT THE DOOR. THE TRUCK CAME WITH A 1975-78 460 THAT HAS ALL OF THE PARTS BUT THE CAM. ANY WAYS THE PISTON AND RINGS ARE .060 OVER AND I JUST GOT THE CRANK BACK THIS MORNING 10/10. I AM NOT PUTTING ALOT OF MONEY INTO THIS MOTOR. THE HEADS ARE KILLING ME RIGHT NOW. HAD TO SHAVE THEM DOWN 8 THOUSANDths WHERE THEY MOUNT TO THE BLOCK EVERYTHING ELSE WAS FINE. I HAVE TO PUT NEW VAVES IN DUE TO THE FACT THAT THE TOP OF THE STEMS ARE MUSHROOMED WHICH NEW SEATS WILL BE DONE ALSO.MY ROCKER ARMS ARE SHOT TO SO THOSE WILL HAVE TO BE DONE ALSO. BY THE WAY THE HEADS ARE FROM A 1969 429 SCREW IN STUDS (POSITIVE STOP THOUGH).PUAL KANE MENTIONED DOING SOME THING WITH THE OIL PUMP WILL BE NEEDING THAT OR A SUGGESTIN. IM NOT GOING TO BE RACING OR REALLY MUDDING WITH IT. BUT I GO CAMPING ALL THE TIME WITH MY FAMILY AND I WANT IT TO CARRY EVERYTHING WITHOUT HAVING TO BRING THE TRAILER ANY MORE. I MAY BE PUTTING 4.56 GEARS IN IT NOT SURE UNTILL I PUT THE OTHER MOTOR IN IT TO SEE HOW IT DOES WITH THE ONES THAT ARE IN IT NOW. ANY WAYS THANKS AGIAN. SCS

Disapointed

Really Disapoinded:cry:

Itoldyouso is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '27 ford/'39 dodge/ '23 t

Well, reading your post, I take it you are asking if special preps are needed to the oil pump? I can't see why. I would buy a quality stock pump, bolt it on, and forget it.

If this was a drag engine, or other severe usage motor, then maybe a good blueprint job and matching the oil galley holes. But not for normal usage, even in a heavy duty application like this.

Some of the others on here who are true engine experts may have some other thoughts, but I thought I'd give you a bump to bring this thread some extra life.

Good luck.

Don

All right, give me another cookie.

Two in a row. Man, I'm on a roll.

Don

Thank You. I Am Always Open Minded So I Just Thought I Would Put It Up On Here Just In Case Some One Had A Food For Thought. Thanks Guys!!!!!!!! Scs

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

hmmm... with the pre-smog heads, compression ratio might get up there a bit too high, Might want to run some numbers and see what it comes out to. Are the pistons dished or flat tops???
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

THE PISTONS LOOK MORE LIKE THEY HAVE A HOLE IN THEM FOR A PISTON TOP.HAHA ANYWAYS THE ARE OEM REPLACEMENT PISTONS FOR A 1975-78 460 JUST .060 OVER. THE 460'S SUPPOSE TO HAVE 8.6:1 COMPRESSION AND THE 1969 429 IS SUPPOSE TO BE 10.5:1 COMPRESSION. AFTER THE HEADS HAD TO BE MILLED 8 THOUSANDths I JUST GUESSED THAT I WOULDNT BE ABLE TO RUN THE 429 ON PUMP GAS. THERE IN I THOUGHT IT MIGHT BE BETTER TO PUT THE ON THE LATER 460.

shawnlee28 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 c 10 fleetside longbed

http://www.highflowdynamics.com/ Paul Kanes web site.
    Its gunna take longer than u thought and its gunna cost more too(plan ahead!)

maxed_out_rpms is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 73 cougar 514

I bought one of Pauls reworked pumps for my drag car. Great pumps, Log onto his web site ( in shawnlee28's post ) and read it carefully, the important thing is to get the main oil passages reamed out to get the oil flowing.
    Since you have that much money already invested, installing a new pump is always great insurance. And since the BBF's dont have the best oiling, prepairing the block will ensure you not to have oil problems.

Its a simple fact that the oil passage threw the pump to the filter is restricted. It is a simple fix however if you enlarge the passage to get the total amount of oil flow. It is not totally nesassary in a stock aplication, but if you have the motor apart already, why not do the little bit of die grinder work.
    I know for a fact that the 514 in my drag car sure gets better oiling since i did this simple modification. Even with the baffle plates in the oil pan it used to starve for oil on deceleration after a hard run, but after opening up the passage it doesnt starve anymore.

Reread this members original post. He isn't running a drag car, it is a crew cab truck. All he wants to do is a stock rebuild. For that application a stock oil pump is more than sufficient.

Don

Maybe a stock pump might be sufficient, but then again, why would you go with just sufficient when a better pump is only a few dollars more? Its just extra insurance for those times the motor might have to work harder than normal.

Im Glad For All The Insight. Thank You. Im Still Working On The Heads While I Wait For The Block To Be Bored. Just Got New Valve Springs. I Will Take A Look At Paul Kanes Web Site. I Had Asked Him Alot Of Questions Earlier This Year But I Didnt Go Any Where With It So He May Not Be To Happy With Me On That. But I Own A Semi And The Motor Took A S@#$%@ On Me At 952,000 Miles. Since It Pays The Bills It Had To Come First. Any Ways Bla-bla-bla. Thanks Again For All The Help. Scs

I have done alot of dealings with Paul. He is the type of person who cares about others also, so im sure he wont hold anything against you.
    Good Luck on the rebuild

Funny

I Posted A Reply To All Of This But It Did Not Post. I Will Have To Check Out Paul Kanes Site. I Think I Might Have Sold The Crew Cab. I Will Find Out This Week End. If That Is The Case Then I Will Be Putting The 460 Into My 69 Ford Pickup And The 428 That Is In It Will Have To Go In...........:lol: What To Buy Next. Acually I May Be Trading It For A 64 Mercury Comet(the Crew Cab) It Has A 289 4v Automatic. I Will Have To Learn A Bit About It. Thanks For All Your Help Guys... Scs

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast