Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

  •  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

 
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Advice on engine build
          
   
   

Reply To Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 76
  1. #61
    84Monte is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    38

    The 305 I'm taliking ab had 4 barrel carb stock. I think it is ho. But either way to me it seems the better choice, correct me if I'm wrong but the longer a engine sits it's more likely for seals and gaskets to rot. And I will not be taking the Pistons out of the 350 to replace rings or pistons. And the 350 was not a 4 barrel I think. Wouldnt the 305 be the smarter choice? And oh, which transmission do you guys think is better? 350 turbo or 700r4?

  2. #62
    53 Chevy5's Avatar
    53 Chevy5 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Doon, Ia
    Car Year, Make, Model: 53 Chevy 3100
    Posts
    2,710

    You said that the wiring scared you away from the Ls, that was what scared me out of a steal of a deal 98 Ls1 when I started my build. I still kick myself for that one Anyway, go with the 350 unless you find a 400, which are not as plentiful. If you say you have limited money for this, going down in cubes doesn't come close to making sense. I've been around gen 1 stuff my whole life and not once have I ever seen or heard of anyone building a 305 or 307 because it's a waste of money. As said before its a smog motor, a puke motor. You can google all the specs you want and argue but it doesn't change the fact it's a paper weight. As for the trans, the TH350 would be fine unless you have some short gears and plan on some long interstate driving.
    Seth

    God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing. C.S.Lewis

  3. #63
    84Monte is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    38

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry clayton View Post
    If you really want a gen 1 engine with some power look for a 400--------
    I would absolutely love to have a sb 400 but the ones I can find are bare blocks that need honed and bored. And I do not have money for pistons, crank, connecting rods, machine work, maybe sometime in the future I will get a bigger engine but for now I would like to stick with a 305 or 350. And in this situation the 305 does seem to be the better choice in the conditions of each engine

  4. #64
    53 Chevy5's Avatar
    53 Chevy5 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Doon, Ia
    Car Year, Make, Model: 53 Chevy 3100
    Posts
    2,710

    Quote Originally Posted by jerry clayton View Post
    I had a 1986IROC Camaro with 305 like your talking about--------My John Deere lawn mower felt faster---------however, if it is a roller cam block you'll have the opturnity to use decent cam-------If you really want a gen 1 engine with some power look for a 400--------
    Crap, I got a guy wanting to sell me his 82 Z28. It's almost to nice and to cheap to pass up though.
    Seth

    God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing. C.S.Lewis

  5. #65
    53 Chevy5's Avatar
    53 Chevy5 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Doon, Ia
    Car Year, Make, Model: 53 Chevy 3100
    Posts
    2,710

    Quote Originally Posted by 84Monte View Post
    I would absolutely love to have a sb 400 but the ones I can find are bare blocks that need honed and bored. And I do not have money for pistons, crank, connecting rods, machine work, maybe sometime in the future I will get a bigger engine but for now I would like to stick with a 305 or 350. And in this situation the 305 does seem to be the better choice in the conditions of each engine
    If you made up your mind earlier, then it doesn't need to be asked here
    Seth

    God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing. C.S.Lewis

  6. #66
    84Monte is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    38

    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by 84Monte; 08-16-2017 at 09:02 PM.

  7. #67
    53 Chevy5's Avatar
    53 Chevy5 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Doon, Ia
    Car Year, Make, Model: 53 Chevy 3100
    Posts
    2,710

    Quote Originally Posted by 84Monte View Post
    I've beaten many ls engines with gen 1 sbc and a 289 sbf. One of the ls engines was a the 6.2 in a 2016 camaro ss
    I think it's time for me to go away.
    Attached Images
    techinspector1 and NTFDAY like this.
    Seth

    God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing. C.S.Lewis

  8. #68
    84Monte is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    38

    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by 84Monte; 08-16-2017 at 09:01 PM.

  9. #69
    NTFDAY's Avatar
    NTFDAY is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Springfield
    Car Year, Make, Model: '66 Mustang, 76 Corvette
    Posts
    5,353

    Quote Originally Posted by 84Monte View Post
    But also about the ls, I've beaten many ls engines with gen 1 sbc and a 289 sbf. One of the ls engines was a the 6.2 in a 2016 camaro ss
    Only if they were running on 4 cylinders. I think you need to take that "smack" talk and go elsewhere with it. You're talking to grown men here, some of which have more time on the track than you probably have behind the wheel. As ole Dandy Don used to sing out "Turn out the lights the party's over".
    glennsexton likes this.
    Ken Thomas
    NoT FaDe AwaY and the music didn't die
    The simplest road is usually the last one sought
    Wild Willie & AA/FA's The greatest show in drag racing

  10. #70
    84Monte is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    38

    Thanks for the help
    Last edited by 84Monte; 08-16-2017 at 09:02 PM.

  11. #71
    84Monte is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Neverland
    Posts
    38

    Is there a way to delete your account on this website? As I won't be using it anymore because I cant get help on here.

  12. #72
    53 Chevy5's Avatar
    53 Chevy5 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Doon, Ia
    Car Year, Make, Model: 53 Chevy 3100
    Posts
    2,710

    Quote Originally Posted by NTFDAY View Post
    Only if they were running on 4 cylinders. I think you need to take that "smack" talk and go elsewhere with it. You're talking to grown men here, some of which have more time on the track than you probably have behind the wheel. As ole Dandy Don used to sing out "Turn out the lights the party's over".
    Before he edited everything he said his dad beat the 2016 SS camaro with a 289 sbf. He doesn't need us about building engines, he needs to talk to his dad. Lol
    NTFDAY, glennsexton and Rdobbs1977 like this.
    Seth

    God cannot give us a happiness and peace apart from Himself, because it is not there. There is no such thing. C.S.Lewis

  13. #73
    shine's Avatar
    shine is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    bluff dale texas
    Car Year, Make, Model: 47 inderweed
    Posts
    2,117

    and the troll leaves .
    astroracer, NTFDAY and 53 Chevy5 like this.

  14. #74
    glennsexton's Avatar
    glennsexton is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Tigard
    Car Year, Make, Model: 63 Nova SS
    Posts
    2,581

    Oh my!! Maybe with this 289..
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/thumpr455/17187196300

    The 2016 Camaro SS is a 3.9 second 0-60 car!! Does it look like we all fell off a turnip truck??

    Best of luck and hope you find what you're dreaming about 84Monte.
    "Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty." John Basil Barnhil

  15. #75
    astroracer's Avatar
    astroracer is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Byron, Mi.
    Car Year, Make, Model: '88 Astro Van-BAD AST
    Posts
    871

    Quote Originally Posted by glennsexton View Post
    Oh my!! Maybe with this 289..
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/thumpr455/17187196300

    The 2016 Camaro SS is a 3.9 second 0-60 car!! Does it look like we all fell off a turnip truck??

    Best of luck and hope you find what you're dreaming about 84Monte.


    And it probably runs mid 14's on a good day...


    2016 4 cyl turbo Camaro's run 14 flat. The V8's run mid 12's all day long.
    glennsexton likes this.
    If money is the root of all evil... Women must be the fertilizer...
    Link to my BAD AST Build Thread:
    http://www.clubhotrod.com/suspension...van-build.html

Reply To Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Links monetized by VigLink