Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By 40FordDeluxe

Thread: rollback engine build

Reply To Thread
    Rivithead is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 52 hudson

rollback engine build

suggestions
    410 rear ,t19 4speed hydro clutch ,f350 no engine, 87 octane build
    usage haul car, drag trailer with car loaded, freeway miles 80 mph.
    gas mileage well LOL:
    have 385 dive aa out of Lincoln,10.30 block I think? is aa first production thin web?
    list of parts I have for build.
    4.39 bore
    bc crank journal
    4.140 stroke
    6.70 rod
    4032 srp -28 invert dome
    dove c heads 74cc stock.
    head gasket?
    oil pump?
    stealth intake

HOSS429 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

what is the question again ?
    iv`e used up all my sick days at work .. can i call in dead ?

what combo of parts will work best?
    cam, lifters, spring height.?
    cc of combo?
    carb?
    head gasket?
    any insight

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

Quote Originally Posted by Rivithead View Post
    suggestions
    410 rear ,t19 4speed hydro clutch ,f350 no engine, 87 octane build
    usage haul car, drag trailer with car loaded, freeway miles 80 mph.
    gas mileage well LOL:
    Yeah, LOL for sure on the gas mileage concept, with this package.

have 385 dive aa out of Lincoln,10.300" block I think?
    I'm thinkin' you are correct here, D1 was 1971 and I don't think they went to 10.322" until '72. Won't matter much anyway, you're probably gonna have to cut the decks to get to a zero piston deck so you can have a tight 0.040" squish to prevent detonation on pump gas. 9.0:1 with a 0.040" squish is what I'd be thinkin'.

is aa first production thin web?
    Not really a Ford guy, don't know. Maybe Denny knows. I doubt that it will be a problem anyway, I don't think you're gonna tear the webs out of the crankcase unless you go with a blower or N2O or both on nitromethane.

list of parts I have for build.
    4.39 bore
    I too would keep the cylinder walls as thick as possible.

bc crank journal
    I wouldn't spend money on changing journal size, not for a low rpm tow motor. I'd simply use the proper length for the crank and piston that I would use.

4.140 stroke
    Nope, makes the static compression ratio too high for pump gas with the 74cc iron heads. Use the stock stroke crank and rods, unless you have to go stroker in order to find pistons with a large enough dish to bring the static compression ratio down to around 9.0:1 for running on pump gas without detonating the motor.

6.70 rod
    I would only use a different rod length over stock if I had to in order to match up with the piston compression height to make the stack work out.

4032 srp -28 invert dome
    I'd use the largest dishes I could find for use with the 74cc chambers. I would want to make the static compression ratio down around 9.0:1 so that I could use a fairly short cam, 200 to 205 degrees duration @0.050" lift, that would put the peak torque down low in the rpm range for pulling.

dove c heads 74cc stock.
    O.K, but it will be tough to find pistons that will work to bring the static compression ratio down to where you want it to use a short cam. This is not a lumpy cam build.

head gasket?
    Composition, about 0.040" compressed. Cut block decks to zero piston deck height to make 0.040" squish to prevent detonation on pump gas.

oil pump?
    Stock

stealth intake
    Yes, good choice

First gear ratio is 4.02, making a 16.482:1 final drive ratio with the 4.10 rear gears
    Second gear ratio is 2.41, making a 9.88:1 ratio with the 4.10 rear gears
    Third gear ratiio is 1.41, making a 5.78:1 ratio with the 4.10 rear gears
    Fourth gear ratio is 1.00, making a 4.10 ratio with the 4.10 rear gears.
    Last edited by techinspector1; 10-30-2017 at 08:36 AM.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

40FordDeluxe is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 40 Ford Deluxe, 68 Corvette, 72&76 K30
    Blog Entries

What year F350 is this? I'd be finding a 7.3/5 speed and a 3.55 rear and enjoy not feeding this thing gas.
    34_40 likes this.
    Ryan
    1940 Ford Deluxe Tudor 354 Hemi 46RH Electric Blue w/multi-color flames, Ford 9" Residing in multiple pieces
    1968 Corvette Coupe 5.9 Cummins Drag Car 11.43@130mph No stall leaving the line with 1250 rpm's and poor 2.2 60'
    1972 Chevy K30 Longhorn P-pumped 24v Compound Turbos 47RH Just another money pit
    1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR Stage 3 cam, SuperT10
    Tire Sizes

rollback

crank and rod combo I think it makes 501 cc with 30 over bore?
    with o deck block, 74 cc heads, -28 dish, 0.040 gasket what would be compression ratio?
    would a hydraulic scj cam profile work well ?
    what oil pump stock or high vol, high pressure?
    also need to find neutral balance flywheel, clutch ,disk and throw out bearing ?
    I appreciate all your help

truck is 86 it used to hove 460 in it. diesel is great just using what I have.

thanks the read was great its real important to have the 6015 between dive and aa.no 6015 no thick web. thats how I ended with this block thinking it was thick web,live and learn

with o deck block, 74 cc heads, -28 dish, 0.040 gasket what would be compression ratio?
    10.17:1 SCR. I doubt it would work with iron heads on pump gas. You could change to D3VE heads that have 95cc chambers that would yield 8.72:1 SCR. That build would probably work OK on regular pump gas. If I wanted to gamble on a flat tappet cam, I might use a Crane 353902, although a better bet would be to use a hydraulic roller tappet cam due to changes in lubricating oil chemistry. The oil companies don't put extreme pressure lubricants in their oils anymore, so you must add zinc and phosphorus in the form of extreme pressure lubricants with every oil change.

I see no need for any more oil pump than stock.

Call McLeod for the stick shift stuff.
    http://www.mcleodracing.com/

Here's a tutorial I wrote several years ago, after the oil companies stopped putting extreme pressure lubricants in the oil and we had a rash of cam and lifter failures........
    http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...ips_and_tricks

I have a set of d3ve heads I use instead. thanks
    probably use flat tappet and add zinc.
    353902 crane cam, springs and lifters
    timing set 70 year straight up?
    dizzy duraspark spring kit? coil?
    what carb 600 vac secondarys
    timing set at?
    thanks for your help I only want to do this once

jmarks99 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

I have a set of d3ve heads I use instead. thanks
    probably use flat tappet and add zinc.
    353902 crane cam, springs and lifters
    timing set 70 year straight up?
    dizzy duraspark spring kit? coil?
    what carb 600 vac secondarys
    timing set at?
    thanks for your help I only want to do this once
    If you want 510 hp and about 610 torque with what you have now,6015aa block do not deck it (already short enough height) if you want to drive it on the street, stock 71 crank, DOVE heads, dished replacement pistons (forged or hyperutectic). Makes CR right around 9.0:1. Use the Performer RPM upper end kit w/out heads (all are matched to work together).port match the heads and intake to the intake and exhaust gaskets and smooth out the thermactor bumps in the exhaust ports on the heads. use high volume standard pressure Manley oil pump and drill out the oil entry galley to 1/2" to match pump but be careful to not go to deep. Always a good idea to increase pump volume on the 385 series blocks if you're towing or bracket racing. No need to spend mega bucks on the 1968 - 1971 BBFs they were under rated at 385HP stock (DOVE C or D1VE C heads) more like 410- 425 HP. Had a totally stock(flat top pistons about .040 below deck,stock crank and rods) 71 429 engine that I rebuilt and only cammed it up a bit (Crane camshaft) made 549HP and 624lbs.torque (max values). Had to use premium fuel and 104 octane booster even though I installed hardened seats on the exhaust with stainless replacement valves on both the intake and exhaust. Use a good double roller timing set (think it comes with performer rpm kit anyway). Ford BBs tend to wear out chains and gears when they are run hard and often. Stroked BB Fords are recommended for racing purposes and bragging rights only. I put the above mentioned engine combo in a 71 Cougar XR7 and it is enough to be scary, especially with a loose front end and almost no brakes - LOL! Additionally, shortly afterwards did the same build on a customer/friend 74 highboy 4x4 and he kept twisting driveshafts in half. After about 3 1/2 months he pulle dout that engine and stuffed a mildly built 390 back in it. With the performer RPM kit in it I'm relatively sure you won't have that problem. Glad you're not concerned about fuel mileage though cause it will be a gas eater unless you detune it and use a conservative carb (650-680 cfm) as the performer rpm kit I believe uses the 800cfm carb or spend a little more for the Fitech tb fuel injection setup. While the d3ve and up heads will work ok with decked block and flattops I wouldn't use them as they are severely restricted on the exhaust side. If you must use a set from 72 - up look for the police interceptor heads. Forget CJ or SCJ heads they are not about efficiency at all (you can almost stick your hand in the intake ports. Ford only put them in street cars (tuned down) to comply with NASCAR rules so that they could use them in the Talladega Torinos and Fairlane Cobras for racing. They were also popular in SS and some pro-street drag racing brackets. The Mustang and Cougar CJs and SCJs were very popular weekend warriors as well. However, you have to remember gasoline was only 28 cents a gallon back then and high octane fuel can easily be purchased at your local SUNOCO station. You could actually select octane level by turning a knob on the pump. If I remember correctly it was available up to 110 octane (almost aviation gas). Anyway have fun with your build you will be able to tow single wide mobile homes with your truck/engine combination.

oh yeah forgot. Using an additive or oil (still available as specialty) that has it in the oil of any flat tappet (mech or hyd) engine is a necessity! Especially so in in a performance build.That is if you don't want to replace cams and lifters all the time and risk other serious engine damage from the metal pieces going through the whole engine!

Just noticed they're not making hyperut pistons for the 429 anymore. So, your limited to flat top forged units (custom cut dish) or stock cast pistons. Assuming you won't be racing then Sealed Power 413ap/cp will work with the DOVE heads 72cc. They have .120 dish which will have a 10.5:1 CR if .040 below the deck and .040 thick head gaskets. That's still to high for a tow/hauling truck. The afformentioned 1973 police interceptor heads would kick it down to about 10:1 with 80cc chambers and 9.5:1 with the D3ve heads 95cc. If you find a set of P.I. heads make sure they're not the standard police cruiser heads. think they are d3ae-fa castings.

Reply To Thread