Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By rspears

Thread: building a 500hp 429

Reply To Thread
    DemoDonny is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

building a 500hp 429

i am wanting a 500hp engine for my mud truck i have a 429 .30over i think they are dished top pistons also have dove heads with cobra jet valves what can i do to try to help achieve my goal what combination has worked. i think i have some pretty good parts to start with. i would appreciate any help. Thanks Donny

falconvan is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 48 Plymouth, 48,54 Heap

I'm no Ford expert but I think a set of aftermarket heads would probably make for some big power gains. Am I right, Dave?

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Once we got our first set of SCJ aluminum heads from Ford, never have bothered looking at the stock stuff anymore... With what it takes to get the old heads to flow as well as the aluminums do right out of the box the price of the good parts is very reasonable...not even counting the huge weight reduction by going to aluminum heads and intake....

That being said, haven't done a 429 for awhile, but the best way to get a 500 horse big block is to use the 501 stroker kit, the aluminum SCJ heads from Ford, good intake, roller cam, and a 1050 Dominator... We have 500 horse and torque...at the rear wheels..... Also we run E-90 for fuel which makes running 13:1 compression and the extra horsepower higher compression brings just a bonus!!!!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

mooneye777 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1948 ford anglia

first off what is the intended result of your motor. Street / strip use, just street, just strip, and also a budget margin, high, low, middle of the road. ? That is needed info for a true response to your build

Live everyday like it were your last, someday it will be.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by DemoDonny View Post
    i am wanting a 500hp engine for my mud truck i have a 429 .30over i think they are dished top pistons also have dove heads with cobra jet valves what can i do to try to help achieve my goal what combination has worked. i think i have some pretty good parts to start with. i would appreciate any help. Thanks Donny
    Donny,

If you have D0VE heads with CJ sized valves, then 500hp is easy to get to. This assumes that your D0VE heads have been ported (I would think so since the larger valves have been fitted).

500 hp with a dish topped 429 will take some good planning. You would be better off using a 460 crankshaft since it opens up endless choices in pistons while there is only 1 common forged piston for the 429. Are you stuck on the 429 shortblock as is/will not disassemble? Or will you be rebuidling the short block too? Are you absolutely certain the shortblock is a 429 and not a 460?

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

DemoDonny is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

i am using this motor in my 77 ford mud truck with 38 inch boggers i am not stuck on the short block as a matter of fact i called coast high performance about a 521 stroker kit for this motor and can get one of the better kits for around 1800.00 balanced blue printed i am not going to drive this truck on the road much the most i ever do is go pull my buddies out of the mud when they get stuck so i am going to keep this thing in 10.4to 1 ration with dished top pistons ialso called a place in colorado called cam research that only builds cams and engines for fords a said this would make a great combination for what i am building and with his cam (roller) that this would be closer to the 600 horse range with compariable torque. I dont know exactly how much money this motor is going to cost me but I have been waiting for an oppurtunity like this to build an awsome motor and dont want to screw it up. I am guessing that i will spend every bit of 4000.00 on it easily with the kit and new roller cam setup gaskets and a ton of misc. and i am o.k with that as long as this is the right thing to do. Thanks guys for all your help

Frankaba is offline CHR Junior sMember Visit my Photo Gallery

Is it possible to get 500hp from a 1970 t-bird with 429 thunder jet motor ???
    Where should I start? Anybody...

rspears is online now CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '33 HiBoy Coupe, '32 HiBoy Roadster

Quote Originally Posted by Frankaba View Post
    Welcome to CHR. Where should you start? You should start with your own thread, so that people will see that it's a new question from 2017 vs a comment to an old 2010 thread. That will help you get the attention of the guys who can help you.
    techinspector1 and NTFDAY like this.
    Roger
    Enjoy the little things in life, and you may look back one day and realize that they were really the BIG things.

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

Quote Originally Posted by Frankaba View Post
    First, how much money do you have to put toward such a project?
    Would you do the work yourself or shop it out to professionals?
    If you have the money and expertise to do it yourself, do you have the space and tools to accomplish it?

PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

Reply To Thread