Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 454 or 460?

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    tigers83 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 84 Caballero 400 SBC

454 or 460?

I have a pulling truck with a 454 BBC and it has the best of everything in my opinion but I was told that 460 puts out a lot more torque than a 454. Is that true?

pat mccarthy is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by tigers83 View Post
    I have a pulling truck with a 454 BBC and it has the best of everything in my opinion but I was told that 460 puts out a lot more torque than a 454. Is that true?
    i guess you looking to start trouble here well i would say you have a bigger bore with the 460 ford but the chevy is the ones i build and do have a customer with a 496 that i help out on that beats the $hit out of the fords in his pull class the bbc is the way i would go i have machine up some fords still like the bbc
    Irish Diplomacy ..the ability to tell someone to go to Hell ,,So that they will look forward to to the trip

I beleive that chevy is superior to any other engine you can buy.

I am probobly picking a fight with one of these die hard ford fans

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Both engines react well to a build.... To say one is better then the other is just a matter of preference... I like Fords, mainly cuz I'm just obstinate enought to always go with the exact opposite of what the majority of folks like!!! We run two BBF's on the drag strip....both do 500 horse at the rear wheels and stay together great doing 100 plus runs every summer....

If money were no object, would be fun to go hang out with Pat, build one of each with equal parts, and do a dyno session....
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

I beleive that chevy is superior to any other engine you can buy.
    over 25 years i have had bbc for low buck power a is tough as nails in stock form. are EZ to build from many stock parts and have many stock heads that work good better rods then the ford at this point i hear the hate mail comming
    Last edited by pat mccarthy; 12-05-2008 at 06:10 PM.
    Irish Diplomacy ..the ability to tell someone to go to Hell ,,So that they will look forward to to the trip

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Severson View Post
    Both engines react well to a build.... To say one is better then the other is just a matter of preference... I like Fords, mainly cuz I'm just obstinate enought to always go with the exact opposite of what the majority of folks like!!! We run two BBF's on the drag strip....both do 500 horse at the rear wheels and stay together great doing 100 plus runs every summer....

If money were no object, would be fun to go hang out with Pat, build one of each with equal parts, and do a dyno session....
    i am game but like anything money has to put a damper on the party

Also about BBF or SBF for that matter their parts are so much more expensive IMO compared to SBC or BBC. The only good part I beleive IMO is the Ford 9in rear end

jerry clayton is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

I have raced Ford, GM,and Mopar-----I have said for a long time--the crankshaft doesn't know what it says on the valvecover--these days about any of the more budget builds will have an Eagle, Scat or Callies crankshaft, same deal on rods but they will be Chevy size, forged after market pistons, Edelbrock, Air Flow, Dart,etc heads, Edelbrock manifold, holley carb ----probably only one or two pieces from a dealership---the only thing different is the gaskets because of the bolt patterns

Now if your budget is bigger, you can run a smaller rod (Honda)

Quote Originally Posted by jerry clayton View Post
    I have raced Ford, GM,and Mopar-----I have said for a long time--the crankshaft doesn't know what it says on the valvecover--these days about any of the more budget builds will have an Eagle, Scat or Callies crankshaft, same deal on rods but they will be Chevy size, forged after market pistons, Edelbrock, Air Flow, Dart,etc heads, Edelbrock manifold, holley carb ----probably only one or two pieces from a dealership---the only thing different is the gaskets because of the bolt patterns

Now if your budget is bigger, you can run a smaller rod (Honda)
    i like the chevy head bolt pattern and rod and main size ..i still build bbc with stock rods and gm cranks stock 781 049 heads around here scat H beams and 4.250 + china cranks are not really budgets builds.i not getting picky with you but the last two callies cranks were not the same price as the scat s oh and just find a gm crank and turn the rods to 2.100
    Last edited by pat mccarthy; 12-05-2008 at 07:36 PM.

jerry clayton is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

If your interested, I have a BBC crank at 3.5 stroke, 2.0 rod size from project around 1977---also several 4.0 stroke 2.1 rod that are pretty lite---

These days you'll probably find more vehicles with Ford 9 inch rears and Chevy rod size than anything else out there-----

Quote Originally Posted by jerry clayton View Post
    If your interested, I have a BBC crank at 3.5 stroke, 2.0 rod size from project around 1977---also several 4.0 stroke 2.1 rod that are pretty lite---

These days you'll probably find more vehicles with Ford 9 inch rears and Chevy rod size than anything else out there-----
    hey them cranks would work geat i will have to dig up a world pro block and bore it to 4.625 and some heads like this make a stem winder
    Attached Images

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Also about BBF or SBF for that matter their parts are so much more expensive IMO compared to SBC or BBC. The only good part I beleive IMO is the Ford 9in rear end

Well, we're all certainly entitled to our opinions.... But the cost factor is hardly a factor anymore... And if the 9" rear is the only good parts you think a Ford has, you obviously have never messed with any of the well built Fords!!!!!

I've raced Fords, Mopars, Chevy's, and even once an AMC... Preparation and the skill of the machinist and assembler is far more important then anything the valve cover may have written on it......

Loyalty to a brand is fine, but blind loyalty can lead to problems......
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Severson View Post
    Well, we're all certainly entitled to our opinions.... But the cost factor is hardly a factor anymore... And if the 9" rear is the only good parts you think a Ford has, you obviously have never messed with any of the well built Fords!!!!!

I've raced Fords, Mopars, Chevy's, and even once an AMC... Preparation and the skill of the machinist and assembler is far more important then anything the valve cover may have written on it......

Loyalty to a brand is fine, but blind loyalty can lead to problems......
    i like my bbc and will build and machine any engine and want it to run the best it can. if i build and machine up a ford or others and out runs a chevy thats is just fine with me. but not looking for the weak link s in the chain so to speak of your engine you start with you are asking for problems when you start making big power
    Last edited by pat mccarthy; 12-05-2008 at 08:15 PM.

GMC400 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 78 GMC pickup

One other thing to take a look at is the rules. Which organization's rules to you pull with. Most of the lower classes are required to stay with an engine offered in a one ton or less truck of the same manufacturer.

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast