Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 Mystery

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ryanmax88 is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery

Question 429 Mystery

I have a C9VE-B Block and DOVE-A Heads on my engine and what can anybody tell me about these to things. 2nd when im driving for some reason everything will be normal then all of the sudden i lose power and when i hit the petal it has a VERY dificult time moving the vehicle. also it diseal's. So does anybody have any ideas on the matters.

mooneye777 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1948 ford anglia

A C9ve-B block is a 2 bolt main 429 CJ for a 69 or 70 torino.
    71 429 mustangs have a casting on the block

Slightly larger thermact-air boss, being used for passenger cars D0VE-A is a less revised version and very similer to the D0VE-C's The cylinder heads used from '68 to '71 are interchangeable.
    Valve sizes are 2.09" intake and 1 65" exhaust.
    Last edited by mooneye777; 07-08-2008 at 12:02 PM.

Live everyday like it were your last, someday it will be.

shawnlee28 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 c 10 fleetside longbed

I am pretty shure those are both desirable pieces...the block and heads....
    Its gunna take longer than u thought and its gunna cost more too(plan ahead!)

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

The motor is dieseling because you are operating a high compression motor on low compression fuel. Dieseling is detonation. The fuel is exploding before the piston gets to top dead center. This can result in broken pistons and rings or pistons with a hole burned through the crown if you continue to operate it on junk fuel. Either lower the static compression ratio by changing to dished pistons or bolt some later heads onto the block that have a larger combustion chamber, such as D3 (1973) or D4 (1974) heads. Do not use D2 heads, they're junk. Or, use high octane fuel in the motor.

Back when these motors were built, we had good quality leaded fuel available at the pumps. The tetraethyl lead in the fuel slowed down the burn in the combustion chamber so that the motor could operate at a higher static compression ratio without detonating. We no longer have that fuel available to us at the corner gas station.

The power loss could be anything. I'd start with the least expensive first. Run a ground cable from the motor to the firewall and from the firewall to the frame. Disconnect and clean all wire terminals and tighten them up. Make sure you have a ballast resistor or resistor wire in the feed line from the switch to the coil. This will allow a full 12v to the coil for starting, then the wire/ballast will begin to cut the voltage after warm-up to keep from frying the coil/points.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmax88
    I have a C9VE-B Block and DOVE-A Heads on my engine and what can anybody tell me about these to things.
    The block and heads are standard passenger car block and heads from the 1969 & 1970model years. The heads may or may not be drilled for Thermactor (smog air pump passages drilled into the heads...not a big deal). The heads are considred to be the desirable facotry iron passenger car heads.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmax88
    2nd, when im driving for some reason everything will be normal then all of the sudden i lose power and when i hit the petal it has a VERY dificult time moving the vehicle. also it diseal's. So does anybody have any ideas on the matters.
    Does it act this way as soon as the engine warms up? Check to make sure that the automatic choke is not stuck in the closed poisiton...for starters....

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mooneye777
    A C9ve-B block is a 2 bolt main 429 CJ for a 69 or 70 torino.
    No, it is not. It is a widley used passenger car block, usually used in 1969 model year passenger car vehicles that had 385 Series engines (which the 1969 Torino did not). CJ/SCJ blocks are almsot always casting "D0VE-A."

Quote Originally Posted by mooneye777
    Slightly larger thermact-air boss, being used for passenger cars D0VE-A is a less revised version and very similer to the D0VE-C's The cylinder heads used from '68 to '71 are interchangeable.
    Valve sizes are 2.09" intake and 1 65" exhaust.
    The Thermactor bumps are essentially unchanged over the years. Tom Monroes book is filled with incorrect techincal data; please do not refer to it as gospel because it is filled with erorrs.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

LAZYTORINO is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery

Hello, my name is travis, iv been reffering to these threads, hoping to find out what kind of 429 i have,i think the info you guys posted shined light on my situation,i purchased a 70 torino that happen to have (not stock) a 429 w/ a c6 auto for $500 bucks, well i thought it was just a plain jane 4v block, well it has D0VE-C heads,and D0VE-A block,which with the info posted it could OR could not be a 4bolt, but should have thick webbs, either way i gotta pull the damn oil pan off to find out if it is 2 or 4 bolt, o well i want to pull the motor & tranny to clean up the engine bay,ill find out soon,( even has a dual point distributer are those as good as every one says they are?......lazytorino

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

"even has a dual point distributer are those as good as every one says they are?"

Not compared to what's available today in the aftermarket.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

roostracing is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery

this is some very good info... i have a d3ve block...cant remember the following letter...i was curious to as to what i have..a 429 or a 460...i will post up with the exact info for clarification
    Tricked Out Racing
    1991 Mustang LX Coupe 5.0, 5 spd (white) for sale!
    2009 Harley Davidson Crossbones (denim black)

LAZYTORINO is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery

Cool dual point

well of course i can get an electronic ignition, but i am using ford stuff,i was asking if they are a desirable, good to use, i hate electronic ignitions, there to easy, any ways nobody answered my question,D0VE-A blocks could be a 2 or 4 bolt, and they were used as CJ s ? i know CJs were D0VE-R, but all the info is stepping over its own toes. let me know....lazytorino

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by roostracing
    this is some very good info... i have a d3ve block...cant remember the following letter...i was curious to as to what i have..a 429 or a 460...i will post up with the exact info for clarification
    D3VE-A2A is a cylinder head casting number. Those heads were used on both 429s and 460s from 1973 through 1986, but they were on 429s for only one year: 1973.

What you can do is remove a valve cover and look for the alphanumeric casting date in the valve train area. Should be something like "3B20" or "7D27." If you can get this number and your engine is original as from the factory (not rebuilt), then we can determine if it is a 1973 or later engine which in turn will tell us whether or not you have a 429 or 460 (unless it is a 1973 casting, in which case it could be either a 429 or 460....but there are deeper probiing markings to look for that may confirm one way or the other).

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by LAZYTORINO
    well of course i can get an electronic ignition, but i am using ford stuff,i was asking if they are a desirable, good to use, i hate electronic ignitions, there to easy, any ways nobody answered my question,D0VE-A blocks could be a 2 or 4 bolt, and they were used as CJ s ? i know CJs were D0VE-R, but all the info is stepping over its own toes. let me know....lazytorino
    The OEM dual point distributor is not to be confused with the aftermarket dual point performance distriubtors. If you want to use OEM Ford stuff in a performance application, then use the Dura-Spark electronic box and distributor (with a recurve kit). Where do you think MSD get's their pickup coils?

D0VE-A blocks are indeed CJ applicable blocks, but they were actually used throughout the entire 1970 productin model year. 1971 is where most of the 4-bolt D0VE-A blocks are to be found. Look for your cylinder block's casting date in the lifter valley, which will be alphanumeric like the cylinder heads. This is not a garantee that your block is 2 or 4 bolt but might be encouraging....gotta pull the pan to be 100% sure. Lastly, all D0VE-A blocks are thick-webbed, there is no "D0VE-R" blocks but only "D0VE-A." The factory CJ & SCJ head castin number is "D0OE-R."

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

vara4 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1947 International Pick Up

Try this; Kurt
    http://www.aacncclub.com/

whatisit? is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 79f150 4by4 429 65chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kane View Post
    No, it is not. It is a widley used passenger car block, usually used in 1969 model year passenger car vehicles that had 385 Series engines (which the 1969 Torino did not). CJ/SCJ blocks are almsot always casting "D0VE-A."

The Thermactor bumps are essentially unchanged over the years. Tom Monroes book is filled with incorrect techincal data; please do not refer to it as gospel because it is filled with erorrs.

Paul
    First off sorry for reopening a old thread but i have a couple of questions. My 429 has the DOVE-A block i was told this was a thunderjet now your telling me it might be a cj or scj?. Or did they just use the same casting numbers sorry i'm very confused.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by whatisit? View Post
    My 429 has the DOVE-A block i was told this was a thunderjet now your telling me it might be a cj or scj?. Or did they just use the same casting numbers sorry i'm very confused.
    Most all 1970 production 429s and 460s, used D0VE-A blocks, whether they be Thunderjets, Cobra Jets, or whatever.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast