Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: My 429

Reply To Thread
    Krebskolonie is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 72 Ford T-Bird

My 429

Hello! I'm new here and a big sorry first for my bad English!

I've some question about my 429engine in my 72 ford t-bird. What are the possibilities to get more horsepower without a blower? And does anyone know where can i find some performance-headers?

Now there are some D2VE-AA cylinderheads mounted. The pre-owner have also mounted a EdelbrockPerformer460 intake manifold.

I read something about some heads from older series, but I am now a little confused and where can I buy it? If i change them, I think I have also to change other engine parts, perhaps the timing gear kit? And is it better to mount a new, stronger oilpump?
    I come from Switzerland and its not easy to find some parts.

I don't know what's in your country the minimum octane number. We have here min. 95 octane, if it uses you.

I hope i can start to do something over the winter soon.

Thank you a lot for helping!!

HOSS429 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

you can make it perform a tiny bit better with a cam and perhaps a set of headers but your major problem is that 4000 lbs car you`re dragging around .. if you want speed you need to go on a diet

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

'72 is still a "good" year for the big block Fords. The heads should be ok for street use. Big Block Ford's react well to cam changes, if the correct cam is selected!!! I always use one of the questionaires the cam companies have, just fill it out completely and accurately and study their recomendations. What are the miles on the engine? If it's got a lot of miles it could be in need of a good rebuild. Best way to tell is to do a leak down test on the engine, this will give you a good indication of the engine's condition.

Anyway, welcome to CHR!!! Always good to have new members from other countries and gain a bit of insight on Hot Rodding in other countries!!!! Ask away on your questions, there are lots of very knowledgeable folks here that are always glad to offer advice!!!!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Krebskolonie
    I've some question about my 429 engine in my 72 ford t-bird. What are the possibilities to get more horsepower without a blower? And does anyone know where can i find some performance-headers?

Now there are some D2VE-AA cylinder heads mounted. The pre-owner have also mounted a Edelbrock Performer 460 intake manifold.

I read something about some heads from older series, but I am now a little confused and where can I buy it? If i change them, I think I have also to change other engine parts, perhaps the timing gear kit? And is it better to mount a new, stronger oil pump?
    I come from Switzerland and its not easy to find some parts.

I don't know what's in your country the minimum octane number. We have here min. 95 octane, if it uses you.

I hope i can start to do something over the winter soon.

Thank you a lot for helping!!
    The D2VE-AA heads are single year heads (1972 only) and are the only open chamber head for the 460. Ford stopped using them after just one year because they are detonation prone, and in a performance application they are virtually unusable with a tremendous amount of rework.

What is lucky for you is that you have 95 octane fuel available, and therefore you may not experience detonation.

If you chenge your D2VE-AA heads for some earlier 460 heads (C8VE, C9VE or D0VE) your compression ratio will rise to about 10.5:1. With some port work on the heads, your engine will have more power. In order to use these early-style cylinder heads, you need to change the valve train because the D2VE valve train will not work on the C9VE/C9VE/D0VE heads.

A more simple head change is the D3VE heads, which will not raise compression on your engine but will use the same valve train as your D2VE heads, and they are a closed chamber cylinder head design. If the D3VE heads are ported and installed onto your engine, you may see a 50hp increase...of course, more hp is possible with other engine upgrades.

We sell these heads if you need them. We sell bare castings, fully assembled heads, or ported/assembled/ready to bolt on.

How much horsepower do you want?

Paul
    Last edited by mrmustang; 12-03-2007 at 01:58 AM.

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Dago Red is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 51' F1 w/429, 70' Nova w/427

Welcome to the forum! I have a 429 in my truck and have another question, sorry for hijacking your thread,

Paul, the guy that we bought the truck from said that he had ported and polished the heads. I don't know if he had this professionally done or did it himself, so I have two questions:

1. If I pull the heads, how can I tell what was done on them (they are dove-c)
    2. is it true that a good port and polish job on the dove-c heads can give 75hp increase?

thanks much guys.

Red

Ok, thanks for your answers!

I think I'm going to test the compression first. The car has a lot of miles, but I'm not sure if the preowner has rebuild the engine anytime.
    Last edited by Krebskolonie; 12-05-2007 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kane
    How much horsepower do you want?

Paul
    Hmm...I think between 400 and 500hp. I hope the vehicle is always drivable for going to work (sometimes) . You have sure a good set-up!?!

Mempho is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 56 Ford F1 429ci

Heads and Chain

I've got a 72 in my truck. Like Paul said the heads are not much to talk about. I put a pair of rebuilt 69's on mine with roller rockers and made a big difference. Also, put a pre 72 timing chain and gears on and really makes a lot more grunt and loads of fun. The 72 timing chain is retarded and prior to that they were set straight up. Have Fun!

RadRidesByDan is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

big ooooooooooooops
    Last edited by RadRidesByDan; 08-11-2011 at 04:47 PM.
    Never take life too serious.....You wont make it out alive

mrmustang is offline Global Moderator Lifetime Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1970 GT 350 convertible, 289 FIA

Quote Originally Posted by RadRidesByDan View Post
    D2VE aa heads are not bad at all. they are 90cc chambeer heads and one of the better flowing heads, with 262 duration 112degree lobe overlap cam, and timing chain change you can straighten that out pretty good. these heads can handle up to 1500HP. As for detonation....polish out the chamber area to remove any burs or sharpe edges, set the timing according to the fuel used and make sure you have the fuel mixture set right for the atmospheric presure that you live in. Too lean will cause detonation......I have a 460 with D2VE heads.....for your mild buildup daily driver.....dont worry about it...the heads are fine
    Dan,

You do realize you just brought up a thread last posted in 2008
    Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by RadRidesByDan View Post
    D2VE aa heads are not bad at all. they are 90cc chambeer heads and one of the better flowing heads, with 262 duration 112degree lobe overlap cam, and timing chain change you can straighten that out pretty good. these heads can handle up to 1500HP. As for detonation....polish out the chamber area to remove any burs or sharpe edges, set the timing according to the fuel used and make sure you have the fuel mixture set right for the atmospheric presure that you live in. Too lean will cause detonation......I have a 460 with D2VE heads.....for your mild buildup daily driver.....dont worry about it...the heads are fine
    Generally speaking, the above statement about the D2VE heads is true. By that I mean that they can be made to sustain big horswerpower in the right applications. I am aware of a twin turbo D2VE headed engine that produced dyno numbers in excess of 1700 horsepower on methanol fuel, for example. And as I posted above in post #4, given the 95 octane fuel available to the forum member who started this thread, 400-500 hp might every well be doable.

But there are better OEM 460 cylinder head choices for high performance engines using pump gas fuel here in the United States. And the majority of the members on this forum are in the United States and limited to 92 octane pump gas.

When it comes to typical 450+ hp builds here in the United States which must operate 92 octane (or less) pump gas, the D2VE open chamber head should be considered as the last choice, and for reasons of detonation. (This is particularly true for engines with compression ratios of 10:1 or higher.) But forunately, today many states now offer E85 ethanol fuel and this would work excellenty in a D2VE-heded engine since the detonation is not an issue with E85 and the open chambers and port shapes do indeed offer good cylinder head flow chateristics among the OEM iron heads.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

HOSS429 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    Dan,

but oddly enuff he was on just a few days ago

RadRidesByDan is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
    Dan,

As funny as it may be.....I realized that after......I was googling additional info on the D2VE heads to try to understand what the big stink that has everyone in a knot about these heads......and this post cam up and seeing that I am a member i thought ide answer to it not seeing that iwas a very old post......MY BAD
    Never take life too serious.....You wont make it out alive

Reply To Thread