Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Got info on the 429, translation please

Reply To Thread
    Dago Red is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 51' F1 w/429, 70' Nova w/427

Got info on the 429, translation please

Hey guys, I have got some more information on the engine in the truck, please convert from gearhead to newbie for me. I would like a bit more info on what I've got here and maybe a conservative idea of ponies we're dealing with.

Rochester CobraJet Quadra Jet (not sure the significance of it being a cobra jet carb, guy said they are hard to find. we're replacing it with a Holley Avenger 770)

Edelbrock performer RPM manifold summit # EDL-7166

Summit aluminum racing radiator #SUM-380428

in line filter RUS-645150

COMP cams magnum steel roller tip rockers CCA-1411-16

COMP cams 4x4 cam and lifters (why 4x4 I don't know) CCA-K34-235-4

magnum push rods CCA-7651-16
    pushrod guideplates cca-4838-8

connecting rod bolts arp-155-6003

Accel magnetic breakerless distributor 52000 series

MSD Blaster Coil

It has Dove C Heads, but other than a note that they were rebuilt and stainless valves installed I have no idea what other work might have been done. he said they were ported and polished, but I doubt it was the kind of port job talked about here that nets 50-75 horses.

Also made a note that the motor was clearanced for hi-performance and to check oil often and use a straight 40 or 50 weight. what does "clearanced" mean?

Thanks for any interpretation guys. I've got more to post other places I guess on the non-engine stuff.

Red

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

For any of you with a desktop dyno, the cam is a Comp Extreme Energy 4x4 hydraulic flat tappet.
    Good mid-range, largest for stock converter, heavy towing, noticeable idle, good for daily driver. Makes power 1,400 to 5,600 r's, advertised duration 262/270, 0.050" duration 218/226, valve lift 0.515"/0.524", lobe separation angle 111*.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

Thanks Tech inspector. Was there a better cam to go with for a hotrod? Daily driver sucks at about 6mi to gallon (maybe with the lower gears better, running the 3.70's in it now).

I have the little card here from Comp Cams and those numbers match.

Red

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

The camshaft .....MUST.... be matched to the static compression ratio. I have no idea of your scr.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

It does seem to perform well. I am curious as to what it might be doing since I don't know where in town I could get to a dyno.

Turns out the receipts show the shop I am having narrow the rear end he bought a lot of the components from before, that's a confidence boost.

Also, ith as sanderson headers if that means anything? I think that the right side need tightening as it sounds like there is an exhaust leak.

Red

double up with a copper and a composite maybe? do you use some sort of sealer between the gaskets?

would you bother having the headers recoated? there si a company locally that supposedly does the exhaust for Orange County Choppers, a ceramic coating that has a chrome or other shiny silver finish on it. I don't know if it would hold up to the heat though.

Reply To Thread