Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Picked Carb, some help on the fuel system?

Reply To Thread
    Dago Red is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 51' F1 w/429, 70' Nova w/427

Picked Carb, some help on the fuel system?

My uncle decided on the Avenger 770 for the 429. I haven't ordered just because I don't want to be placing multiple orders if I can help it. i want to get everything else I need same time.

Let me explain what I think goes on between tank and carb and help if I'm off, then help me figure out what I need to get. We are taking the cab tank out and putting one behind the cab in the bed, I am ordering it today.

fuel line from gas tank - fuel filter - fuel pump (mechanical on there now) - regulator - carburetor.

Now, it looks like it has a little in line regulator on there now, at least there is something in line between the pump and the carb and I'm guessing that is it.

I am wondering if other than braided fuel line, which is what Rick wants in there, I should get a new regulator (since right now I have no idea what the one in there is) and should I consider changing over to a fuel pump that has a seperate return? I saw on MuscleCar where they did this and ran a return line to the tank to keep the pump from getting hot. good idea or not worth doing?

Thanks all, I appreciate the help.

Red

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

How I would do it:
    Use 1/2" o.d. aluminum fuel line. http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
    Run 2 lines from tank to carb, one for supply and one for return. Use insulated Adel clamps (most Ace hardwares have a bolt/nut/fitting department that will have these nice Adel clamps) http://competitionplus.com/2004_09_1...ing_part4.html to secure the lines to the frame with the appropriately sized sheet metal screws every 12" along the frame (drill the proper size hole in the frame for the screws to get a good bite). Mount a fuel filter on the feed line immediately after the tank. Mount your electric fuel pump immediately after the filter (70 GPH minimum pump).

Go to a muffler shop and get some of their muffler-hanging rubber strap material. I have found it at Pep Boys also. It's maybe 5/8ths by 1 inch rubber that looks like it might have been cut from an old tire. Secure these pieces of rubber to the frame and suspend the pump from the rubber pieces to make it vibration and noise resistant in the cab of the truck. Use short pieces of rubber to attach the supply and discharge lines to the pump to further isolate noise and vibration.

Mount another fuel filter in the engine bay supply line before the carb. Use this Mallory #4302M adjustable fuel log that bolts to your Holley carb. http://www.malloryracing.com/Product...minselection=8
    On the inlet side of the log (right side of log in photo), use a tee that will supply your fuel pressure gauge.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

Hey Tech, thanks. I also heard that there are fuel pumps that turn off at certain pressure level and don't need return line? two guys told me that today. I sent your idea to uncle and other one as well, going to see what he says.

I better get back outside before wife smells stogie and knows I snuck in to check net.

Red

C9x
    C9x is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Deuce Highboy roadster

Installing a ball (on-off) valve in the line between tank and filter will make fuel filter changes a lot easier.

I got one from an oil field supply house, no probs in 14 years of running the car.
    C9

That's a very good and clever idea!!! I will definitely do that.

Red

Reply To Thread