Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: More PCV system questions, help appreciated

Reply To Thread
    Dago Red is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 51' F1 w/429, 70' Nova w/427

More PCV system questions, help appreciated

All right guys, after looking at it more closely I see the guy that we bought the truck from has it setup wrong. breather is on driver side cover going to air filter, but PCV on passengers side is also routed to air cleaner so nothing going to front of carb.

My question, from a performance perspective what is THE BEST way to run the PCV setup, if at all??????? Also, we plan on getting rid of the Rochester, would an appropriately sized Holly have a port for the PCV intake?

All help appreciated.

Red

Ed Rodder is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red
    All right guys, after looking at it more closely I see the guy that we bought the truck from has it setup wrong. breather is on driver side cover going to air filter, but PCV on passengers side is also routed to air cleaner so nothing going to front of carb.

My question, from a performance perspective what is THE BEST way to run the PCV setup, if at all??????? Also, we plan on getting rid of the Rochester, would an appropriately sized Holly have a port for the PCV intake?

All help appreciated.

Red
    just bring the pvc valve to the intake manafold of the large vacumm line on the carb or tee to the brake booster. Ed ke6bnl
    1949 Ford F1 stocker, V8 flatty
    1950 Ford F1 pu street rod
    1948 Ford F3 pu projec
    1948 Ford 2.5 ton dually project
    1953 Chevy 3100 AD project to my 85 S10pu
    1968 2.2 Ecotec Baja Bug kingCoil etc.
    1998.5 Dodge diesel 4x4 many extras

Let me see if I understand Ed, I can go to an open system, put a breather cap on one side, then on the PCV side run the line either to the intake on the carb (I see where it is on this Rochester, has a cap on it) OR to a T going to the brake line. I am getting ready to install a power brake kit and am going to have to get vacuum from somewhere, would that be more beneficial then to tie into a t rather than put it back in the carb?

Thanks, as you can see I know very little but have lots to do.

Red

Ed Rodder is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by Dago Red
    Let me see if I understand Ed, I can go to an open system, put a breather cap on one side, then on the PCV side run the line either to the intake on the carb (I see where it is on this Rochester, has a cap on it) OR to a T going to the brake line. I am getting ready to install a power brake kit and am going to have to get vacuum from somewhere, would that be more beneficial then to tie into a t rather than put it back in the carb?

Thanks, as you can see I know very little but have lots to do.

Red

What I have mentioned I have done since I had a separate vacumm for the brake and one large one on my intake I had them seperate. Make sure there is a baffle for the PCV in the valve cover or you will suck oil, on my el camino I used a separate filter that plugged into the other side of the valve cover and did not run a line to the air cleaner. On my 327 I used the draft tube hole for the fresh air from the air cleaner and the oil fill tube off the offenhouser intake with a silver soldiered pipe fitting for the pcv fitting. both have worked fine I did not want to put any holes in the valve cover.

good luck ED
    1949 Ford F1 stocker, V8 flatty
    1950 Ford F1 pu street rod
    1948 Ford F3 pu projec
    1948 Ford 2.5 ton dually project
    1953 Chevy 3100 AD project to my 85 S10pu
    1968 2.2 Ecotec Baja Bug kingCoil etc.
    1998.5 Dodge diesel 4x4 many extras

nitrowarrior is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Never run the PCV and power booster line together don't tee into the booster line at all for PCV. Route it to the front of the Rochester and leave the vacuum line to the booster alone. Go back in earlier posts and see where Denny has posted some pics on how open and closed systems work and look like. It has been a recent discussion in the past month. As for your Holley question, try to run an application where they provide a PCV port. It's the easiest way to make your system function well.
    What if the "Hokey Pokey" is what it's really all about?

joeybsyc is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Not to rob this thread, but what's the story on these twist-in breathers with a vent tube only (no PCV)? What are you supposed to do with these exactly? Are you to run an "in-line" PCV valve between this vent tube and the carb, or can you simply hook a hose between the vent tube and the base of the carb, or is the vent tube supposed to just hook to the bottom of your air cleaner or something? I would think without some sort of check valve (PCV) the vaccuum would suck oil into the intake... just wondering, as my car currently has no PCV, just a breather on each side, and both are the twist in type, so without changing or modifying my valve covers, I can't really install a standard style PCV.
    Joe Barr
    1932 Ford Roadster

Then it sounds like the closed system is the best way to go.

would this work

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

or

or these

with these valve covers

Red

lightning1901 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

not trying to change the thread but i get oil bllowby out of my dipstick under hard acceleration, i have my pas side hooked into the plate under the carb a the other is open vented, dipstick is up front by the water pump, i put a new breather and new pcv valve and hose, but still get the same thing,

Thanks Denny, I'm glad that is the one that will work, I ordered it, the first one that is. I also ordered valve covers, but I got the dam gasket that you have to use cement on, not realizing since I was just talking to them on the phone at that point. will send back and get a different one. Also ordered nut kit from them but would prefer this

http://www.mooneyesusa.com/catalog/p...ae64fb9e552f0f

would it work? hard to find something looking good at summit because they don't really list any of the valve cover bolts for 429.

Thanks again

Red

I don't know, I haven't pulled the ones on there yet. The ones I bought from Summit were listed as working, I'd rather have something better looking though, maybe I will use them as a stop gap. I dont' want to take one out till I get the truck over for the wheel measuring and ordering. After that I can take it apart as it will be on jack stands for a few weeks.

I guess once I do that and find out what the bolts are for sure I can then order whatever is the same size. You've been a lot of help Denny, I appreciate it.

Red

Reply To Thread