Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Question For Paul Kane

Reply To Thread
    SCSTRANSPORT is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 69 FORD-66 BUICK

Question For Paul Kane

OR ANY ONE ELSES ADVISE. I HAVE A FRIEND WHO BLEW THE MOTOR IN HIS 37 FORD DRAG PICKUP. HE IS NOW STARTING ANOTHER MOTOR BUT HE WAS ASKING ABOUT HEADS. HIS QUOTE(.700 LIFT ON THE CAM AND 1968 HEADS, BLOCK BORED .100 OVER AND THE REST IS ALL 460 CRANK ,TRW CONNECTING RODS) HE WANTS TO GO TO AN ALUMINUM HEAD NOW TO SHED WEIGHT. WANTS TO KNOW WHAT HIS BEST CHOICE WOULD BE. HE CLAIMS 9.90 IN THE 1/4 MILE AND IT IS ONLY USED FOR THAT. THANKS FOR THE INPUT. SCS

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

SCS,

There is really not a great deal of info in your post by which to go. How much does the truck weigh? Gearing? trans type? Etc.

Unfortunately, I am not an asphalt drag racer (I am into boats), so I cannot make an educated guess if you were to furnish me the above info. But motor-wise, I may be able to help.

Is he running a stock stroke 460 crank and .100 overbore pistons? This makes a 481 cubic inch engine, and with flat top pistons he will have about 11.5:1 compression ratio, more if he has dome tops.

As far as weight savings go, switching from the 1968 heads to aluminum heads will save only anbout 35-40 pounds. But the modern day combustion chamber and port designs will make for more HP potential. There are over 20 aftermarket cylinder head options for the 429/460 today, and what he needs really depends a bit more on build specifics. If it is drag race only, he may want to consider the Ford Super Cobra Jet aluminum heads with the relocated intake valve, but Jon Kaase has a new head about to be released (the "P-51") that promises to be superior. For a higher rpm screamer, TFS heads might be better suited on the 460.

Again, this all depends on actual displacement, compression ratio, rpm usage, etc.

Can't really offer much help for an awesome combo with the info provided.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

SCSTRANSPORT is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 69 FORD-66 BUICK

THANKS

I WILL HAVE TO FIND OUT MORE FROM HIM. YEAH HE DID SAY 100 THOUSANDS OUT ON THE BORE. I APPRECIATE YOUR TIME. PERSONNALY IN MY OPINION IF HES DONE THIS ONCE I WOULD THINK HE WOULD KNOW WHAT HE MIGHT WANT ALREADY, BUT THEN AGAIN HE DOESNT HAVE A COMPUTER. I KNOW THAT HIM AND HIS DAD HAS WORKED ON THE BODY FOR ABOUT 5 YEARS AND IT LOOKS GREAT BUT I DONT KNOW HOW BARE IT MAY BE. AGAIN THANKS SCS

Reply To Thread