Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460 head or gasket problem

Reply To Thread
    72torino is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 72 Torino

460 head or gasket problem

I have a 460 that was rebuilt in the spring. I had it at the drag strip and it started running rough, Had oil on the left bank where the head and block meets. Checked compression on number 5 cylinder. No compression. So I pulled the head and the gasket appeared to be leaking. Had the head checked and surfaced. Used a Fel Pro gasket. Assembled and now have no compression in 5, 6, and 8. Have 60 lbs. in 7. Engine runs very rough, Plugs are wet. Plenty of spark. How can a person determine if the problem is the head or the cylinders? Engine has Total seal rings with less than 200 miles on them. Right bank has in 1-4 cylinders 125,125,130,135 compression. Guys I'm a novice and am searching for ideas on what might be wrong. Any help here?
    Thanks for listening,
    Ralph

Ives Bradley is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 49 Ford tudor

Have u checked comp. dry and wet? Pull the valve cover and make sure valves are opening and closing? Or look for bent push rods. Hope this helps.
    Choose your battles well===If it dont go chrome it

72torino is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 72 Torino

Thanks for the suggestions. Put an air hold two cylinders with tdc and the valves closed and hear air out the exhaust on one and air through the carb on another. So I figure that the valves must be tweaked and the machine shop didn't inspect or catch it.

Reply To Thread