Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: New Project

Reply To Thread
    SCSTRANSPORT is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 69 FORD-66 BUICK

New Project

LOOKING FOR A FEW SUGGESTIONS. ALWAYS DONE FE MOTORS NOW LOOKING TO GET INTO ANOTHER MOTOR FAMILY. I HAVE A 69 429 I WILL BE PUTTING IT IN A 69 FORD PICKUP WITH A CAR 4 SPEED WITH A 1 3/8 INPUT SHAFT AND 12" CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL. I HAVE 3.55 GEARS AND A DETRIOT LOCKER. I LOVE RPM'S. I ONLY DRIVE IT ABOUT 30 MILES A WEEK (DRIVE SEMI TRUCK) I THOUGHT I WOULD BORE IT .060 OVER ADD FLAT TOP PISTONS ALL NEW ARP BOLTS, I'LL BE LINE HONING THE BLOCK, REWORK THE OIL HOLES IN THE CRANK WILL PROBABLY BE A 10/10 CRANK AFTER TURNING AND 0 BALANCE(VIRGIN MOTOR NEVER BEEN APART) I HAVE CJ OR SCJ EXAUST MANIFOLDS (TO CHEEP TO BUY NEW HEADERS AT THIS TIME) I PLAN TO RUN FULL 3" EXUAST AND QUIETER FLOWMASTERS THEN THE 2 CHAMBER 40 SERIES. I DONT REALLY LIKE HOLLYS BUT I THINK ILL WANT A BIGGER CARB THEN EDELBROCKS 800. I DONT PLAN TO DO ANY PORT AND POLISHING OTHER THEN TO PORT MATCH THE HEADS AND INTAKE MANIFOLD. NO GEAR DRIVE AND THE CAM I WANT EXTREAM FROM 3000 TO 7000 RPMS. ANY WAYS JUST LOOKING FOR SOME ONE ELSES IDEAS OR EXPERINSE. AND THIS TURBO THING THAT SOME ONE ELSE HAS DONE IS VERY INTREGING. THANKS SCS

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Sounds like a nice motor, you sure that 800 Edelbrock wouldn't handle it??? I ran one on a 460 with Edelbrock heads and intake, worked great. Never went past 6 grand on the revs, it was all done making torque by then anyhow.

Hopefully Paul Kane will be around and lend some insight, he is the BBF guru!!!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Thanks very much, Dave, but I am not a Guru...I am just a passionate 429/460 enthusiast that eagerly offers info when and where I can.

SCS Transport, if you want your engine to run 3000-7000 rpm, you may wish to consider headers sometime down the road, as they will help significantly in that rpm range. Exhaust manifolds with large pipes will get your motor running well enough for now.

Also, before I knew this was a high rpm deal, you were inquiring about a 2x4 low rise intake and I steered you toward a Blue Thunder (the only people I know of that are making a 2x4 low rise for the 429/460). I don't believe that this manifold has very good flow characteristics as cast, as far as high rpm goes, but on a little 429 you might be okay with it to 7000 rpm. Frankly, I can think of a few single 4-barrel intakes that will offer up more HP at those rpms.

If your block is standard bore (you said virgin motor), then go .030" over only. Save your future overbores for later, as jumping to the next oversize will not net you more power. Flat-top pistons will get you at about 10.8:1 compresion ratio, assuming you have C8VE, C9VE or D0VE heads. If you have any other head casting number, STOP. You will not make any power with this 429 unless you get the right heads. You will be wasting your time if you have D2VE heads or D3VE heads (on a 429 with flat tops).

Speaking of heads, for 7000 rpm, it would be very wise to port the heads, particularly the exhaust side. This is time & money well spent, as the stock exhaust port will choke this motor down at the high rpms you wish to run it. Good idea to clean up the intakes too. If you don't have the right heads on your engine, I sell them and can port them.

In regards to the oiling, the stock oiling system is pretty damn good, once a few very simple things are ironed out. There are a few small oiling mods to do to the block, and a good oil pump is paramount. (It just so happens I sell modified oil pumps too.) The crankshafts are very, very strong units and can handle lots of horsepower.

Holley carbs are much more tunable than the Carter/Edelbrocks. Depending on which intake manifold you end up with (2-BBL or 4-BBL) will determine what carb(s) you should get.

A good double roller chain is all you need and they are good to WAY past 7000 rpm. Unless you are always playing with cam timing or need to swap cams lickety split, you don't need a gear drive.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

SCSTRANSPORT is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 69 FORD-66 BUICK

THANK YOU PAUL KANE

I REALLY APPRECIATED ALL YOUR HELP. THE MOTOR IS A C9VE-B AND SO ARE THE HEADS. THE CRANK IS A 4U. SUPOSE TO BE A VIRGIN MOTOR, BUT...........I HAVE FOUND A COUPLE OF THINGS THAT MIGHT SAY OTHER WISE. ONE THING THAT REALLY STANDS OUT IS 5" OF GREASE (ALL OVER) ON A MOTOR THAT THE BEARINGS(MAINS,RODS)CRANK LOOK LIKE THEY HAVE NEVER RAN PAST BREAK IN TIME. FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE BLOCK I CAN STILL SEE THE CROSS HATCHING FROM BEING HONED. I CANT GET UNDER THE HEADS THEM SELFS AT THIS TIME TO SEE WHAT THE RING GROOVE LOOKS LIKE OR FOR SURE ON THE PISTON SIZE AND BORE. I HAVE ALL THE BOLTS OUT OFF OF ONE HEAD AND HAVE BEATEN THE LIVING %@%^#%$&%$%$& OUT OF THE HEAD (BIG RUBBER MALLET OF COURSE) BUT IT WONT LET GO. AND THE OTER HEAD HAS ONE HEAD BOLT THAT HAS BROKEN 2 OF MY 1/2 INCH DRIVE RATCHETS AND ONE BREAKER BAR WITH AN ADDNED LONG BAR HAS NOW SPUN THE SOCKET ONCE. I FIGURE MACHINE SHOP TIME NOW FOR THAT PROBLEM. AS FOR THE DUAL 2X4 INTAKE PART OF THAT THEORY IS IT LOOKS GOOD, BUT MORE OF THE REASON IS ON MY 428 I HAVE TWO 500 EDELBROCKS THAT ARE IN DANG GOOD SHAPE THAT I WANTED TO USE. THE PRICE OF A NEW INTAKE OR A NEW CARB IS PRETTY CLOSE. I HAVE A SPREAD BORE INTAKE ( I THINK C8VE ) BUT ILL HAVE TO CHECK THE NUMBERS AGAIN ITS BEEN ON THE SHELF FOR A WHILE. I ALSO HAVE A 1" SPACER THAT GOES FROM THE SPREAD BORE TO SQUARE. THE MOTOR DOESNT REALLY HAVE TO HAVE POWER ON THE HIGH END , BUT I DO WANT IT TO STAY TOGETHER SINCE I HAVE A VERY ABUSIVE LEAD FOOT. SUGGESTIONS I WILL DEFFENTLY LISTEN TO. I JUST KNOW IF I DONT DO IT RIGHT I WILL KILL IT GARRANTEED. AND AS FOR THE THINGS THAT YOU HAVE OFFERED FOR SALE ,MODIFIED OIL PUMPS FOR SALE AND SUCH DO YOU HAVE A WEB SITE ??? AND NO DISRESPECT INTENDER BUT IT MAY BE CHEAPER ( FREIGHT WISE )TO GET SOME THINGS FROM SALEMS PERFORMANCE RACING. IM ASSUMING THAT THE BAY AREA UNDER YOUR NAME IS IN CALIFORNIA?? I AM VERY OPEN MINDED AND LIKE I SAID BEFORE THIS IS MY FIRST 429/460 MOTOR AND IVE ONLY DONE 5 390/410/428 MOTORS AND ONE CHEVY 350(THOUGH I DONT TELL ANY ONE THAT. HE HE) ANY WAYS I HAVE BLABBED ENOUGH FOR NOW THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND SUGGESTIONS. SCS

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Hey Paul, in my book your ARE the BBF guru on here!!! Gotta talk with you someday when I get ready to start on the Ranchero, possibility you could PM me some contact info??? Thanks
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Re: THANK YOU PAUL KANE

SCS,

The C9VE block and heads will suit you just fine. At .030" overbore with flat-top pistons, you'll be approaching 11:1 compression ratio. Port those heads properly and that motor will have the potential to really fly.

In regards to High Flow Dynamics, we are a new company and the website is under construction, almost completed and should be launched Jan 2006. I said the same thing last year, but a lot is going on over here and now finally getting back to the website it is at 90% launch ready and will launch.

At this time, we don't sell pistons or stroker kits or this or that. We sell ONLY the performance parts that we make in-house for the 429/460 engine family, and at the time of this writing you won't find these parts available anywhere but through me. I've tried to upload pics of our products but for some reason, they don't come up on my posts. I have no trouble anywhere else in cyberspace getting my pictures uploaded. If someone can shed light on this, then please let me know how to get my images to show up, because everything that works for me elsewhere will not work for me here on this Forum.

We sell several levels of modified oil pumps that are better than any other Modified Mellings I have seen (and sell for less than what I have seen elselwhere). We have really trick timing covers for drag racers that allow for cam timing changes or even complete camshaft changes without removing the timing chain case. We have lots of stuff coming down the pipeline that I am not talking about yet, but is truly amazing stuff that has been needed for the 429/460 Ford for a long time.

You have my email and I'll send you my phone number...we'll talk that way. Too much towrite here.

Paul

P.s. Dave, check your PM's ...sent you my number.

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Reply To Thread