Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Putting Rebuilt 460 in 30 Foot Cruiser

Reply To Thread
    Pacifier is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Question Putting Rebuilt 460 in 30 Foot Cruiser

Hi All, I'm a newbie to this forum, though I've surfed it quite a bit and found that it is chuck full of knowledge. The reason I'm posting is that last fall my 30 ft. boat which had a 460 in it broke the top off a valve and destroyed the piston,rod, windage tray, and bent the oil pan and am not sure yet what else. I bought a rebuilt 460 from a guy that claims he is a master mech. I have not opened the motor to verify but he told me that he built it to the following specs, D9TE truck block bored .30 over and surface trued, D3VE heads milled and completely rebuilt using new rockers, pushrods, springs, guides, seals, etc., Crankshaft, rods, pistons, harmonic balancer, and flexplate are all balanced. 9.0:1 Hypereutectic pistons., New cam (not sure what brand or size) @ .50-.214/.224 Dur., .293/.303 Ad. Dur.,518/.544 Lift 1700-5200 RPM Range, New Cloyes double roller timing chain, New Melling high vol. oil pump, New Weiand Stealth high rise intake, Rods shot peened and magnafluxed, all new Fel-Pro gaskets, Clevite bearings, lifters, etc. I need to know if this cam will work in a marine application and any other info that would be of importance to me about putting this in my boat. I also need to find a pan and windage tray or modify my new panto accept the dipstick tub that screws into the drain bung for checking the oil level and pumping the oil out when changing oil. The old 460 had a rated hp. of 340 and I'm hoping to improve on that, maybe 350-375. I am putting a Edelbrock 750 marine carb on this and using all the stock exhaust which is thru the prop exhaust. I hope some of you could give me some input as to your thoughts and concerns. Thanks, Rick

Hurst01 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 29 Buick 4Dr Sedan LT1 Stroker

Sounds like the engine will work OK. Doesn't seem to be a high performance cam. Make sure that it is the correct rotation. I had a 30' Chris Craft. One engine turned clockwise and the other counter clockwise. Basically, the engine is the same. the only difference is going to be the oil pan, possibly the water pump and rotation. Check for them all.
    What is the price of his engine? Also, check with Auto Zone for a crate engine. They are usually fairly reasonable.
    Ed
    Ed in Jeffersonville, IN
    Street Rod Builder / Enthusiast
    Journeyman Machinist / Welder / (Ret)
    Viet Nam Vet (U.S. Army) USAF (Ret)
    Disabled American Veteran
    Patriot Guard Rider
    Moderator Mortec Forum

Thanks for the reply Ed, The rotation of the engine is correct , I only have the one engine in my Bayliner that is why I would like to have a little more hp. as long as I don't tear up my outdrive. Yes I'll have to use my old marine water pump or get a new one if mine isn't any good. I got the engine for $2800.00 + frgt (approx. $250.00) Now I have to start to rebuild my old motor, the block is ok except for a crack in the cylinder wall of the broken piston which I'll sleeve, didn't do a lot of damage to the ld motor, I just wanted to get the boat up and running as soon as possible with a little extra hp. Thanks, Rick

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

The engine spec's sound fine for your 30-foot cruiser and this includes the cam. The Weiand intake is a somewhat overkill for that particular build in such a big boat but will get the job done.

There is no need to worrry abour reverse rotation in this case.

Paul

Thanks for the reply Paul, I need to get busy and get this motor ready to install, my wife thinks that I am going to tinker with it all summer and not get it in the water ( a direct quote from her would be * Just put that thing in there by that other thing and lets go*) haha. Paul, would you use the stock intake in place of the Weiand or just go ahead and use the Weiand . I could use the stock intake and the stock carb, I just thought that I might get a little more out of it allowing me to get it up on plane a little quicker and with more ease, with the old motor it was a fair load getting up on plane at about 4K. I would like to maybe be able to bring the RPM's up to around 46-48 get up on plane then back off and just cruise at a lower RPM . I'm open for any and all input and advice, thanks again, Rick

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Originally posted by Pacifier
    Thanks for the reply, Paul...would you use the stock intake in place of the Weiand or just go ahead and use the Weiand? I could use the stock intake and the stock carb, I just thought that I might get a little more out of it allowing me to get it up on plane a little quicker and with more ease, with the old motor it was a fair load getting up on plane at about 4K. I would like to maybe be able to bring the RPM's up to around 46-48 get up on plane then back off and just cruise at a lower RPM . I'm open for any and all input and advice, thanks again, Rick
    Tough call, for your application. Personally, I would probably try the new 750 Carb over the old carb currently on the boat.

Assuming your intake manifold is a production piece, it will have a casting number cast into it, on the topside and next to the carburetor mounting pad. If the number on it is D0OE-6425-C, then this might be a more suitable manifold for your application, albeit a bit heavier than the Weiand. The casting number I gave you is a 460 marine intake that is also the factory 429 Cobra Jet intake (both engines used the same intake manifold). But if it is not the above number, then for sure use the Weiand.

(If your other intake is something else altogether and not a D0OE-6425, then the above cannot apply.)

The Weiand is a really nice piece and your engine will certainly run well with with it; I just wonder if it will cost you a bit of low speed throttle response in such a big boat.

The CJ intake is more suited for 1500-4500 (where your 30- footer's engine operates) than the Weiand which may offer better performance in the upper rpm range than the CJ intake.

On a jet boat that doesn't really hook up until 3500-up rpm's, I'd opt for the Weiand no question. But an outdrive with a prop? In a 30-foot boat? Sorry, I can't say for sure, Rick, but knowing me , I'd give the Weiand and new carb a shot, I suppose. If you want to go 4500 to get on plane and then settle back to 3000-3500, go ahead and try the Weiand...

Paul

Reply To Thread