Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Ignition Issues

Reply To Thread
    CV Gwin is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Baja Performance Boat

Unhappy Ignition Issues

Hello Guys! I've got a 460 in my Baja boat that I thought I would attempt to upgrade the ignition system as my first step in progressively improving its performance. Well, heres the problem: Got a NEW Mallory Dual Point distributor installed and all went well. Then added a NEW Mallory ProMaster coil (part #28880) and got the Mallory resistor (part #700)....now I have no voltage to the coil ??? I followed the connection instructions to a tee (a half-dozen times!) and still nothing (?). I realize this series ProMaster is actually for Mallory's Hy-fire system, but it says I can use it for a dual point distributor also...no voltage past the resistor input. Got 12 volts going into the resistor...nada out the other side....are they directional like a diode? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

I've had it over the years with Mallory crap. Never again. If you want a bulletproof ignition system for a boat, talk to these guys..
    http://www.performancedistributors.com/marinedui.htm

Unbolt the Mallory stuff and sell it on ebay.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

Thanks for the input Tech.... sad news, as I just spent the money. However, it should work shouldn't it? Good, bad, etc...but at least fire the dang thang!

C9x
    C9x is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Deuce Highboy roadster

Sounds like your resistor is open or there's a bad connection to the resistor.
    Corrosion is a problem with boats is it not?

Bypass the resistor which will apply a full 12 volts to the coil and see if the engine fires.

Don't run it very long.
    The resistor is there to cut the voltage down to about 7 volts or so which keeps the points from burning up.

Most cars have an ignition switch that applies a full 12 volts to the coil during startup and when the starter drops out, the ignition voltage reverts to approx. 7 volts for constant duty running.
    C9

Ed ke6bnl is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 50 ford F1, 53 chevy AD 3100, 48 Ford F1

Re: Ignition Issues

Originally posted by CV Gwin
    Hello Guys! I've got a 460 in my Baja boat that I thought I would attempt to upgrade the ignition system as my first step in progressively improving its performance. Well, heres the problem: Got a NEW Mallory Dual Point distributor installed and all went well. Then added a NEW Mallory ProMaster coil (part #28880) and got the Mallory resistor (part #700)....now I have no voltage to the coil ??? I followed the connection instructions to a tee (a half-dozen times!) and still nothing (?). I realize this series ProMaster is actually for Mallory's Hy-fire system, but it says I can use it for a dual point distributor also...no voltage past the resistor input. Got 12 volts going into the resistor...nada out the other side....are they directional like a diode? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    I have had two go bad on me the instruction give a dozen causes for a failure to occur, and I think one of them is if you look at it the wrong way, they have some sort of voltage spike protection device that is an add on that is highly recommended and since you have invested this much it would be worth it about $30. While they are working they are fine and nice looking check there sight and you may have long good service from them Ed ke6bnl
    Ed ke6bnl@juno.com
    1963 Ford Econoline 5 window
    1950 Ford F1 pu
    1948 Ford F3 pu
    1953 Chevy 3100 AD
    1970 Chevy Short bed c10
    1972 El Camino chopped top

Thanks for the input guys! I think I'm going to jerk the Mallory parts out and return to the old parts (they worked!).

Having read some posts in another forum on this site, the general opinion was that a performance ignition doesn't increase performance enough to consider, unless its a 'full race' application where 10ths of a second make a difference. I'm not in that catagory, so I'll go back to the basics. So much for my mechanical abilites....lol. Thanks again for your help C9x and Ed !!

chappy_692000 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 74 f250 hi boy

this is what i use on my pulling truck and i believe that it is all you need http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm i use the flame thrower module and make sure the duraspark distributor is good and tight. i've seen my engin sitting at 8000 rpm b4 (not by choice) works great
    even a good thing can be made better
    never get angery because you lost be grateful you were able to try

Ed ke6bnl is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 50 ford F1, 53 chevy AD 3100, 48 Ford F1

Originally posted by chappy_692000
    this is what i use on my pulling truck and i believe that it is all you need http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm i use the flame thrower module and make sure the duraspark distributor is good and tight. i've seen my engin sitting at 8000 rpm b4 (not by choice) works great
    Thats what I did for my wifes 67 mustang 289 I have a bosh coil with a new duraspark dist and a genuwine gm modue. Works great the dist was a lifetimer from AutoZone $25 the module from Ebay and the coil is a Porche orange top Bosh coil I believe .5 ohms. fired right up and I also regapped the plugs to .055 because of the increase spark over the points. NO MORE POINTS and gapping and setting the dwell. Need to mount the module on an aluminum heat dissapation plate or finned plate and use a heat transfer grease to cool the module , I bolted it to the intake and even polished the aluminum still has the small cap. There are guy out there selling the large cap HEI for the Ford all in one unit with the coil.and module. not too expensive maybe $150.
    Ed ke6bnl@juno.com
    1963 Ford Econoline 5 window
    1950 Ford F1 pu
    1948 Ford F3 pu
    1953 Chevy 3100 AD
    1970 Chevy Short bed c10
    1972 El Camino chopped top

chappy_692000 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 74 f250 hi boy

the distributor can be used with the ford big cap all that is needed is the spacer in between. the gm hei systems out there have their place when a very neat engine bay is desired but they have no gain over the duraspark with the module, really they would be identical less the wiring
    even a good thing can be made better
    never get angery because you lost be grateful you were able to try

Reply To Thread