Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 newbie questions

Reply To Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SnakeHerder is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '69 GT500, '57 Chevy, '02 Vette Convert

When I saw the start of this, I was hoping I'd have some good news - hoping the PI motor was the same as the 429CJ/SCJ motor. A guy I knew in the mid-1970s had one, and it moved out sharply. But that was only in 1971.

For TedIII, you're right for cars like yours and mine - the shock towers are too close for the 429/460 motors without some shock tower surgery. 1971, with the big body, was the first year that would take the 429 without it. That's where KarKraft made their name with the Boss 429 in 1969/1970 - fixing the width of the engine bay. And with crescent heads, the plugs were right up on top where you could actually change them.

Back to the question at hand. The 429CJ/SCJ heads look like they were D0OE-R, with screw-in rocker studs and factory guide plates. The block would be the D0VE-A block, and the SCJ had the four-bolt mains. They ran 11.3:1 compression, but the later ones would be lower.

I have only limited specs on the 429 police engine, but it should have D2OE-AB heads. 89cc chambers, 2.08 intake/1.66 exhaust valves, 1.65x2.19 intake, 1.47x2.06 exhaust ports.

The D0OE-R heads are much better for making power. 73.5cc chambers, 2.24 intake/1.72 exhaust valves, 2.12x2.56 intake/1.32x2.24 exhaust ports.

That's all I've got on these. Good luck - the 429 will bolt in with the right motor mounts, and the C6 is plenty tough. Don't know what rear end you've got - could be the weak link, both in terms of handling power, and (if it's an open diff) traction.
    Tim -

"Tho' much is taken, much abides, and tho'
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are..."

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

All good info above, except that I'd like to correct the valve sizes. The D20E-AB heads did not have the stock passenger car valve sizes (as noted above). Rather, they were 2.19" intake and 1.72 exhaust.

Paul

RickinMN is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 75 F100, 73 Tbird, 67 Cougar, 93 mustang

If you need a new balancer you can order new ones at cnc-motorsports.com Part number PP-80008 for $69.65 I have one on my 429 in a 75 1/2 ton 4X4 and my 73 tbird. They are made by powerforce and I haven't had any problems soo far.

RickinMN is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 75 F100, 73 Tbird, 67 Cougar, 93 mustang

Now days you can buy really cheap small block crate motors, even from ford. If you need a damper ford a ford 429-460 them cnc-motorsports.com has Powerforce 6.7 " street damper for $61.00 Plus shipping.

tugboatj is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery

My father was a mechanic for over 30 years and he passed away recently. He had recently purchased a 1972 429 police interceptor motor with the C6 transmission. Reportedly the engine only has 10K miles on it. My family is looking to sell the motor but I need to get more information from the motor itself in order that I can place an add or post it on Ebay. From reading previous posts, I take it there are three(?) locations to find serial numbers. Where exactly are the serial numbers, head information etc. and any other information that may be relevant in order that I can be more descriptive in my add and sell the engine. The engine runs great, no smoke and he had it running on a block in his shop shortly before he died.

I am not the most mechanically inclined and help you could provide would be greatly appreciated.

460_fan is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 86 F250 4X4

the block casting numbers are above the starter and also on the right rear portion of the block, heads castings are under the valve covers, about half way back. atleast on mine anyways...

also I think there is a casting number on the block under the intake valley pan, but that would require pulling the intake to find it, the one near the starter will get you what you need, and should be easy to find if the engine is clean.
    Last edited by 460_fan; 05-19-2005 at 04:13 PM.
    460_Fan

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Originally posted by 460_fan
    the block casting numbers are above the starter and also on the right rear portion of the block, heads castings are under the valve covers, about half way back. atleast on mine anyways...

also I think there is a casting number on the block under the intake valley pan, but that would require pulling the intake to find it, the one near the starter will get you what you need, and should be easy to find if the engine is clean.
    Tyhe numbers that the enthusiasts concern themselves with--and you should look for--are as follows:
    • Head casting numbers are on the outside of the cylinder heads, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd & 4th exhaust ports. Police should be D20E-AB. If not, let us know what you find.
    • Cylinder block casting is behind the starter and reads vertically.
    • Intake manifold casting number is next to (behind) the carb mouning pad and starts with D0OE-9425-(X).

Paul

Reply To Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2