Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

  •  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

 
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By cffisher

Thread: New here need some help
          
   
   

Reply To Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    NickM is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Rockford
    Posts
    6

    New here need some help

     



    Hey guys Im nick i have a 1980 AMC spirit that is going to get a sbc dropped in it

    i was looking to build a turbo sbc but i didnt want to build a twin turbo set up i was wondering what size turbo i should look for
    id like to run around 10psi on stock internals besides the cam probably i found a cheap 57mm and a 64mm are these too small? the 64mm comes off a 6.6l diesel so maybe it would come with a lot of lag? any help is appreciated

  2. #2
    NickM is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Rockford
    Posts
    6

    also thisll be carb not injected

  3. #3
    stovens's Avatar
    stovens is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Petaluma
    Car Year, Make, Model: 48 Ford F1
    Posts
    9,780

    Welcome to the forum, I'm sure some of the chevy folks will chime in, myself, I know nothing about turbos.
    " "No matter where you go, there you are!" Steve.

  4. #4
    34_40's Avatar
    34_40 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    New Bedford
    Car Year, Make, Model: 34 Ford 3W Coupe Replica
    Posts
    14,656

    Welcome aboard, good to see you here. Personally, I would select the vendor of the turbo I wanted buy from and get his guidance on which turbo to use and at what compression ratio and to boost numbers etc. etc., We don't mind helping spend your money at all. But if it all goes south, you are left holding the bag!

    But maybe there's someone here who can offer some guidance / opinion.. Sounds like an interesting build too. Maybe share some pics when you've a chance!

  5. #5
    rspears's Avatar
    rspears is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Car Year, Make, Model: '33 HiBoy Coupe, '32 HiBoy Roadster
    Posts
    11,070

    What would you think of a ProCharger Supercharger instead of a turbo? I think it would be a better fit for your 350, but just my opinion. And welcome to the forum, too. Glad to have you here.
    Roger
    Enjoy the little things in life, and you may look back one day and realize that they were really the BIG things.

  6. #6
    cffisher's Avatar
    cffisher is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Constantine
    Car Year, Make, Model: 57 chevy 2 dr wagon
    Posts
    9,476

    Quote Originally Posted by rspears View Post
    What would you think of a ProCharger Supercharger instead of a turbo? I think it would be a better fit for your 350, but just my opinion. And welcome to the forum, too. Glad to have you here.
    this could be a great option as it would be easier to hook up and take up less room
    glennsexton likes this.
    Charlie
    Lovin' what I do and doing what I love
    Some guys can fix broken NO ONE can fix STUPID
    W8AMR
    http://fishertrains94.webs.com/
    Christian in training

  7. #7
    NickM is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Rockford
    Posts
    6

    sorry for taking so long but i was going to build this "ratrod" style using secondhand parts and such... im broke but i still want something cool haha. ill look around for a supercharger but the turbo setup doesnt seem very complicated but then again ive never built one

  8. #8
    rspears's Avatar
    rspears is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Gardner, KS
    Car Year, Make, Model: '33 HiBoy Coupe, '32 HiBoy Roadster
    Posts
    11,070

    ProCharger makes centrifugal style engine driven superchargers, which is like a belt driven turbo that doesn't suffer from the system lag inherent to the turbo - ProCharger Supercharger Technology They are a very cool alternative that has proven effective on a lot of vehicles.
    Roger
    Enjoy the little things in life, and you may look back one day and realize that they were really the BIG things.

  9. #9
    NickM is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Rockford
    Posts
    6

    so with a supercharger is there anything thats going to be a problem like : size of the super charger, use on a carb, so on... theres a billion used superchargers off of the 3800 pontiac v6 could that be used on a v8?

  10. #10
    40FordDeluxe's Avatar
    40FordDeluxe is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Prairie City
    Car Year, Make, Model: 40 Ford Deluxe, 68 Corvette, 72&76 K30
    Posts
    7,297
    Blog Entries
    1

    I like your idea. I'm planning on putting 2 57mm Holset HX35w's on my 354 Hemi in my 40 Ford. Everyone wants me to go supercharger too. I sure would if I was loaded. The problem with a supercharger engine is, they love the gas. Anyone I know with a rotor type blower engine, do not drive them much or far. The prochargers are nice and make good power. Basically a turbo with a gear box on the back with a pulley and a drive belt ran off the crank. If I wasn't on a budget, I'd get one for sure. Anyhow, I've got some friends that have turbo'd carb'd engines and they make great power and still get good mileage. Here's an example of a guy that put 2 HX35's on his 350. I've talked to him on and off for a while and that truck is reliable and street driven. I know another guy that has a twin turbo 496 in a 69 Vette. It's carb'd as well. Runs awesome, once it was tune'd. Here's a link for the truck.

    Parked Indefinite - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

    I can't really say what turbos work well on gas engines and such as this will be my first build with one. Good luck with your project. I picked the HX35's because I have a few laying here and they are a great turbo and take the abuse. plus parts are reasonable for them as well.
    Last edited by 40FordDeluxe; 10-17-2014 at 05:47 PM.
    Ryan
    1940 Ford Deluxe Tudor 354 Hemi 46RH Electric Blue w/multi-color flames, Ford 9" Residing in multiple pieces
    1968 Corvette Coupe 5.9 Cummins Drag Car 11.43@130mph No stall leaving the line with 1250 rpm's and poor 2.2 60'
    1972 Chevy K30 Longhorn P-pumped 24v Compound Turbos 47RH Just another money pit
    1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR Stage 3 cam, SuperT10
    Tire Sizes

  11. #11
    slincoln 3 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Ocean City
    Car Year, Make, Model: 69 LTD,76 Cordoba,71 Mark iii
    Posts
    86

    Wink

     



    I think the turbo is a banging idea!!!! But I also would put a 401 Amc in it,so what do I know. lol. Though I know it would cost 3 times as much to do. I love Amcs and while I don't have any now I will one day. We do have alot of friends that have Amcs.

    Amc rocks!!!
    Last edited by slincoln 3; 10-17-2014 at 10:16 PM.
    It is our wits that make us men!!!!

  12. #12
    techinspector1's Avatar
    techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Zephyrhills, Florida, USA
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway
    Posts
    12,423

    Nick, I doubt you'll find all the answers to installing turbo(s) on this site. Not that we don't have some sharp minds, but there is so much to doing this that you may be better off reading books that have been published by those who have done this over and over and can make you aware of all the pitfalls and how to do proper sizing of the project. Go to Amazon books and type in "Turbocharging". There are always used books to consider, just to keep the cost down. I buy used all the time to save a little.

    .
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

  13. #13
    NickM is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Rockford
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by 40FordDeluxe View Post
    I like your idea. I'm planning on putting 2 57mm Holset HX35w's on my 354 Hemi in my 40 Ford. Everyone wants me to go supercharger too. I sure would if I was loaded. The problem with a supercharger engine is, they love the gas. Anyone I know with a rotor type blower engine, do not drive them much or far. The prochargers are nice and make good power. Basically a turbo with a gear box on the back with a pulley and a drive belt ran off the crank. If I wasn't on a budget, I'd get one for sure. Anyhow, I've got some friends that have turbo'd carb'd engines and they make great power and still get good mileage. Here's an example of a guy that put 2 HX35's on his 350. I've talked to him on and off for a while and that truck is reliable and street driven. I know another guy that has a twin turbo 496 in a 69 Vette. It's carb'd as well. Runs awesome, once it was tune'd. Here's a link for the truck.

    Parked Indefinite - The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

    I can't really say what turbos work well on gas engines and such as this will be my first build with one. Good luck with your project. I picked the HX35's because I have a few laying here and they are a great turbo and take the abuse. plus parts are reasonable for them as well.
    same here... the turbo i will buy costs 250 bucks.... used of course but i would use a supercharger because of simplicity

  14. #14
    NickM is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Rockford
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by slincoln 3 View Post
    I think the turbo is a banging idea!!!! But I also would put a 401 Amc in it,so what do I know. lol. Though I know it would cost 3 times as much to do. I love Amcs and while I don't have any now I will one day. We do have alot of friends that have Amcs.

    Amc rocks!!!
    yeah... im hated on the amc forum because i cant afford a 390 or find one... i love my car and id rather have 360 or a 390 heck a 304 would do it

Reply To Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Links monetized by VigLink