Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

  •  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

 

Thread: 46 Ford Coupe Rear end and Suspension Questions
          
   
   

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    KOULAIDE's Avatar
    KOULAIDE is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Meridian
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1946 Ford Coupe Super Deluxe
    Posts
    39

    46 Ford Coupe Rear end and Suspension Questions

     



    Wanted to know if anybody has some suggestions about a rear axle to put into my 46 ford super deluxe. It has the original flathead for now, but will be upgraded after it bites the dust. I was told to find a 9in rear end. The rear suspension is going to be upgraded to a POSIES SUPER SLIDE ADJUSTABLE
    REAR SPRING KITS- BOLT-IN or a weeder rear suspension, not sure yet. I want to be able to put wide tires in the rear.

  2. #2
    turbo74pinto is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Willoughby
    Car Year, Make, Model: 74 pinto, 41 ford, 34 dodge
    Posts
    60

    i have an 8.8 out of a 2001 explorer going into my 41. it is roughly 3/4 inch wider than my stock axle. in my opinion, 9in fords are overpriced. i got my 8.8 out of a truck with 65k. the axle has 373s, locker, disc brakes and sway bar still attached (which im going to try to make work on my frame). i paid about 220 after tax.

    bob

  3. #3
    turbo74pinto is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Willoughby
    Car Year, Make, Model: 74 pinto, 41 ford, 34 dodge
    Posts
    60

    i thought i had a pic of the axles side by side, but i dont. you can see the axle behind the frame of my car in my thread about my 41 ford build. if you want, i can get a better shot of it for you. although its heavy so i dont really want to move it next to the original for a shot, at least not until im ready to move the frame again.

    bob

  4. #4
    slowpoke's Avatar
    slowpoke is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Tulsa
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1940 ford Cpe, 1946 Ford B Cpe, 1953 F10
    Posts
    94

    I have a 72 Mustang under my 46 with 8" wheels with 3 3/4 backspace [225/70/15tires] and it fits good and fills fender opening. Don't recall exact width but there is lots of info on comparable width rears out of other vehicles on the internet. Joe

  5. #5
    KOULAIDE's Avatar
    KOULAIDE is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Meridian
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1946 Ford Coupe Super Deluxe
    Posts
    39

    Anybody know a good place to find a drive shaft or if i need a different one with a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear end and the stock flathead/transmission?

  6. #6
    tudorkeith's Avatar
    tudorkeith is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    claremont
    Car Year, Make, Model: 47 ford deluxe
    Posts
    150

    I used a chevy truck unit to start on mine. then for like $60 the local race shop shortened and balanced it. they did an awesome job for that little cash

  7. #7
    Itoldyouso's Avatar
    Itoldyouso is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    fort myers
    Car Year, Make, Model: '27 ford/'39 dodge/ '23 t
    Posts
    11,036

    Quote Originally Posted by KOULAIDE View Post
    Anybody know a good place to find a drive shaft or if i need a different one with a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear end and the stock flathead/transmission?
    It sounds like you are going to use the stock 46 transmission, is that correct? If so it is going to be some work to convert it to open driveline. Right now it is set up for an enclosed driveshaft and you don't just bolt a regular shaft/u joint in place. There are ways to do it.......never done it myself, but not sure if the components to do it anymore are available.

    Some people are putting t5 transmissions (5 speeds) behind flatheads with an appropriate bell housing/clutch set up. Looks like that has become a popular swap.........but again, it takes parts to get you there. Same with the C4 swap called flatomatic.

    Don

  8. #8
    KOULAIDE's Avatar
    KOULAIDE is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Meridian
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1946 Ford Coupe Super Deluxe
    Posts
    39

    Quote Originally Posted by Itoldyouso View Post
    It sounds like you are going to use the stock 46 transmission, is that correct? If so it is going to be some work to convert it to open driveline. Right now it is set up for an enclosed driveshaft and you don't just bolt a regular shaft/u joint in place. There are ways to do it.......never done it myself, but not sure if the components to do it anymore are available.

    Some people are putting t5 transmissions (5 speeds) behind flatheads with an appropriate bell housing/clutch set up. Looks like that has become a popular swap.........but again, it takes parts to get you there. Same with the C4 swap called flatomatic.

    Don
    Yes it is the original trans. So what transmission can I swap if I wanted to still use the flathead and maybe relocate the shifter to the floor?

  9. #9
    KOULAIDE's Avatar
    KOULAIDE is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Meridian
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1946 Ford Coupe Super Deluxe
    Posts
    39

    Quote Originally Posted by tudorkeith View Post
    I used a chevy truck unit to start on mine. then for like $60 the local race shop shortened and balanced it. they did an awesome job for that little cash
    Your not running a flathead are you?

  10. #10
    tudorkeith's Avatar
    tudorkeith is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    claremont
    Car Year, Make, Model: 47 ford deluxe
    Posts
    150

    sorry, mine is bastardized with a 350 combo. but it sure made my driveshaft cake. I'll be reading to see how this is solved.

  11. #11
    Itoldyouso's Avatar
    Itoldyouso is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    fort myers
    Car Year, Make, Model: '27 ford/'39 dodge/ '23 t
    Posts
    11,036

    Quote Originally Posted by KOULAIDE View Post
    Yes it is the original trans. So what transmission can I swap if I wanted to still use the flathead and maybe relocate the shifter to the floor?
    I don't know a whole lot about this swap (putting a T5 behind a flathead) but I read a lot. Without a doubt the best source of info on anything flathead related has to be the HAMB.........that is their area of expertise. I would go on there and do a search under T5 flathead and read all the threads and posts related. I didn't want to start posting their threads without permission, but there is one in particular that cites a Hemmings Motor News article outlining the differences between various T 5 transmissions and what cars/trucks to get them from.

    I do know Wilcap makes an adapter to put this transmission behind your flathead, their 59A-350BH. http://www.wilcap.com/webdoc8.html

    With a little keyboard searching you should be able to learn everything you need to know about this swap. It is the only easy way I know to get an open driveline behind your flathead, much easier than converting your existing transmission, plus you pick up 2 more gears.

    Don

  12. #12
    tudorkeith's Avatar
    tudorkeith is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    claremont
    Car Year, Make, Model: 47 ford deluxe
    Posts
    150

    check out this link, not sure if it may or may not help you, I just skimmed it a little.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...B8zQlAem9u2bBw

    it's an article on an open driveline conversion kit from speedway

  13. #13
    KOULAIDE's Avatar
    KOULAIDE is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Meridian
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1946 Ford Coupe Super Deluxe
    Posts
    39

    Quote Originally Posted by tudorkeith View Post
    check out this link, not sure if it may or may not help you, I just skimmed it a little.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...B8zQlAem9u2bBw

    it's an article on an open driveline conversion kit from speedway
    This would be used if i used a different engine with the stock rear axle. I am trying to do the opposite. I want to use my flathead with a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear axle. I wish I did this stuff for a living and I might have a clue on what to do or what different components are called.
    thanks

  14. #14
    tudorkeith's Avatar
    tudorkeith is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    claremont
    Car Year, Make, Model: 47 ford deluxe
    Posts
    150

    Quote Originally Posted by KOULAIDE View Post
    This would be used if i used a different engine with the stock rear axle. I am trying to do the opposite. I want to use my flathead with a Ford Explorer 8.8 rear axle. I wish I did this stuff for a living and I might have a clue on what to do or what different components are called.
    thanks
    I'm tota;;y unfamiliar with the whole torque tube idea, I didn't know if both ends could be changed in a similar fashion. almost looks like you could go off their Idea and make an adapter for the front.

  15. #15
    Itoldyouso's Avatar
    Itoldyouso is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    fort myers
    Car Year, Make, Model: '27 ford/'39 dodge/ '23 t
    Posts
    11,036

    Going back into my memory banks, there was a way years ago to accomplish converting the old Ford transmission tailshaft to open drive. But that technology is long gone and I bet the parts to do it are obsolete too. The T5 swap is such a good way to get there it just makes sense to do it like that IMO.

    Don

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Links monetized by VigLink