Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Like Tree27Likes

Thread: 37 Ford build--IE: old Header issues thread /37 Ford/5.0/GT40P heads

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 105 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 51 101 ... LastLast
    randyr is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 37 Ford tudor humpback

37 Ford build--IE: old Header issues thread /37 Ford/5.0/GT40P heads

Hey guys,
    I'm new to this forum and have a question to run by you guys. I have a 37 Ford tudor with a '69 302, C4 auto, 9" rear. I'm currently rebuilding the engine with a few extras to up the performance. One addition is the GT40P heads from the 98-01 Explorer. With the different spark plug angle this creates issues with the headers. I need to use streetrod blockhugger headers to clear frame & steering but they will require modification on some of the tubes to clear the spark plugs. Many posts on Mustang sites I've read suggest dimpling the tube and various other methods for clearance. Wouldn't that restrict exhaust flow by dimpling a tube half shut for clearance? I don't know if the "P" headers by Mac will clear my steering & frame. Anybody have any experience with this on a fat fendered Ford? Thanks for your thoughts.

cffisher is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 57 chevy 2 dr wagon

I was having this problem once .I beleave they make more than one style block hugger, not sure my memory ain't what it used to be. You could do what I had to do once(for angle plug heads) buy a header that requires very little modification(dimples) and buy some prebent tubing and just change the tube thats in the way.
    Last edited by cffisher; 02-26-2007 at 06:56 AM.
    Charlie
    Lovin' what I do and doing what I love
    Some guys can fix broken NO ONE can fix STUPID
    W8AMR
    http://fishertrains94.webs.com/
    Christian in training

Quote Originally Posted by cffisher
    I was having this problem once .I beleave they make more than one style block hugger, not sure my memory ain't what it used to be. You could do what I had to do once(for angle plug heads) buy a header that requires very little modification(dimples) and buy some prebent tubing and just change the tube thats in the way.
    Hey Charlie.....thanks. Not a bad idea. I'll check that out.

Randy

Irelands child is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Ford 5.0L '31 A Brookville Roadster

Try Sanderson FF1 - they were the only ones that fit mine w/GT40P heads - out of 4 sets of headers tried. You can access the plugs. I also ended up with Breslin's fasteners because of wrenching space. The photo shows them in my TCI "A" chassis with lots (??) of room .
    Attached Images
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Irelands child
    Try Sanderson FF1 - they were the only ones that fit mine w/GT40P heads - out of 4 sets of headers tried. You can access the plugs. I also ended up with Breslin's fasteners because of wrenching space. The photo shows them in my TCI "A" chassis with lots (??) of room .
    Hey man, thanks a bunch! I was just looking at Sandersons online last night. It's great to know it actually worked for somebody and the pic is worth a thousand words. I should have more clearance than you since my frame is a bit wider. This may be the perfect solution.
    Nice looking engine! Hope mine looks as good....
    All the best.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyr
    Hey man, thanks a bunch! I was just looking at Sandersons online last night. It's great to know it actually worked for somebody and the pic is worth a thousand words. I should have more clearance than you since my frame is a bit wider. This may be the perfect solution.
    Nice looking engine! Hope mine looks as good....
    All the best.
    Randy
    Suggestion - if you buy Sandersons, don't get their coating. I had to do a bunch of cleanup inside where they left excessive globs of weld, pieces of MIG wire still attached and a couple of too long pieces of pipe that needed grinding off. A buddy got his already coated, and he had the same crap and couldn't do anything about the problems. Mine were Jet-Hot coated AFTER I built the exhaust system and the total price of the headers still ended up about the same.
    You will need gaskets as well - Sanderson says use high temp silicone which doesn't work - I ended up using Earl's:

(http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku)

This is from Summit

I have more than enough clearance and a '37 will have plenty.

As far as the engine - all it takes is patience, $$$$ and some imagination. Mine is a bit beyond the photo now.
    Dave

hey Dave,
    I just got off the phone with Sandersen and they now make the FF1-GT40 which is tweaked just a bit more for plug clearance. Thanks for the advice about their coating.

Randy

Hey Dave,
    What color did you paint your block - black? dark gray? It's hard to tell with all the bling on the engine! LOL! I'm trying to decide what color to paint mine. The traditional Ford blue isn't working for me this time.....

Randy

Randy,
    I paint my engines black to emphasize the glittery stuff. I had been using DuPont Centari but switched over to an SPI epoxy primer and black. This photo is the other side of the engine. Even better room for headers here. I just installed red Taylor Spiro Pro plug wires for a bit of contrast and the fact the previous were spares and over 8-9 years old.
    Attached Images
    Dave

The black looks really good. Maybe I'll copycat you...LOL....
    I won't have any clearance issues on the right side either.
    I especially like the "coolwhip air cleaner"!!! Does that come in billet, too??
    LOL!

You're doing some really nice work there!

[QUOTE=randyr] Maybe I'll copycat you...LOL....

.... "coolwhip air cleaner"!!! Does that come in billet, too??
    LOL!

[QUOTE]

The Cool Whip air cleaner IS a one off, special order, (un)professionally crafted, high density, food grade billet plastic.

Copycat away - the black really sets off the goodies you choose
    Dave

Hi again, Dave. Was just looking at your pics again as I'm getting ready to place my order for headers......did you use an angled collector supplied by Sanderson to start the exhaust pipe on it's route to the back or did your muffler shop come up with something else? Did you route the exhaust through that first frame bracket or under it? How far down do the headers hang? Obviously if they hang too low it makes for a pretty sharp bend to curve back up to go thru the frame, you know? What mufflers did you go with? I'm thinking about the Flowmaster 3 chamber 50 series...I want good flow and a nice sound but don't want to rattle the neighbor's windows, you know? Any pics of how you routed the exhaust from the headers? You've been a great help, man! I really appreciate it!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by randyr
    Hi again, Dave. Was just looking at your pics again as I'm getting ready to place my order for headers......did you use an angled collector supplied by Sanderson to start the exhaust pipe on it's route to the back or did your muffler shop come up with something else? Did you route the exhaust through that first frame bracket or under it? How far down do the headers hang? Obviously if they hang too low it makes for a pretty sharp bend to curve back up to go thru the frame, you know? What mufflers did you go with? I'm thinking about the Flowmaster 3 chamber 50 series...I want good flow and a nice sound but don't want to rattle the neighbor's windows, you know? Any pics of how you routed the exhaust from the headers? You've been a great help, man! I really appreciate it!

Randy
    Randy, remember that I have an "A" rather then a '37 and the frames are way different.

I used the flange adapters supplied by Sandeson though they are a bit puny. If you can find heavier, I recommend it - you will also need the donut header to flange seals - gaskets wont do it.
    They were trimmed at an angle, pieces of mandral bent "U" tubing (Summit/Jegs) welded on as extensions so they wouldn't project too low. I then made up the rest of the exhaust using a 10 foot length of 2.25 tubing for various straight lengths and 2 or 3 "U" or "J" bends. As I have a '32 style gas tank, chose to go under the rear end.

I'll take some new digital photos later today and post - I used a film camera for most of my exhaust pictures and are a pain to scan.

These are my mufflers - Flowmaster Delta Flow #942452 / in and out= 2.25” 50Series. A bit tight on an "A" but should fit great on a '37. Noise is a problem here with neighbors - one is a NY State cop with an attitude
    Dave

A few photos

Here are a few photos - this forum wont allow but 2-3 per post. This should give you an idea. Never know how much dust is on stuff until you take photos. Looks like I need some shorter flange bolts as well.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Irelands child; 03-07-2007 at 09:03 AM.
    Dave

Man, Dave, you are so thorough! Thanks so much! Yes, I know the frames are quite different but I thought if I could see yours, I could assimilate to mine. I'm kinda visual like that....my frame has the large X-member which has holes for the exhaust to pass through. Using an angled collector like you did should allow me to route the exhaust through that first part of the X without having to go underneath it. My master cylinder is currently on the firewall (long story) but I'm thinking about putting it back under the floor, in which case there's room for my exhaust to go to the outside of it rather than underneath it like yours. I also notice you put in a "H" pipe, which many people don't do. I've read different things about the advantages of that but not sure how feasible it is for mine yet. Thanks again for sharing your experience. You're saving me tons of hassle trying to re-invent the wheel...LOL

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 105 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 51 101 ... LastLast