Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 1972 429 info?

Reply To Thread
    TheDude is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1965 Ford Mustang, 1965 Galaxie 'vert

1972 429 info?

Hi,

They guys I talked to today said the 429 came from a '72 Ford (see my post below). I read my old Ford book and in 1972 it listed the 429ci engine horsepower as 212. I cannot verify the year yet but if it is in fact a '72, is it still a good candidate for a performance build up? I am thinking that the 390 in the Galaxie right now has more horsepower than the 429.

Thanks,

Justin
    - 1965 I6 Coupe -

Dual out header
    Dual exhaust
    Borla ProXS mufflers

1953 Buick Super
    1965 Ford Galaxie 500XL Convertible
    1962 Ford Econoline

Matt167 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '51 Chevy Fleetline and a Ratrod project

1972 was a 1 of the gas wars times when engines were getting low compression for economy, and the 212 HP sounds right, I'd have to say no, the most desirable 429's are the '69 - '70 429's, the 390 is the better choice.
    You don't know what you've got til it's gone

Matt's 1951 Chevy Fleetline- Driver

1967 Ford Falcon- Sold

1930's styled hand built ratrod project

1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle Wolfsburg Edition- sold

2wdBroncoPrject is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 78 Ford Bronco

I had a '72 429 in my Bronco, when I first bought it. What a turd. Thankfully, it's since done itself in, and has been replaced with a '70 429. MUCH better than before

I HAD thought about doing everything the techinspector has suggested, but had decided that spending $500 for a rebuilt '70 with 30K on the clock, was a far better, and easier, deal
    78 Bronco, 3" lift, 36" swampers, 429, C6, stock axles and gears, David-built F&R bumpers and HD roof rack

Hope to have soon - 79 Bronco, to convert to 2wd, to be lowered, bagged and tubbed

I've been building bumpers, rock sliders, and anything else I can, to TRY to support my hobbies

Mike P is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 57 Ply, 68 Ply Valiant, 83 El Camino

Techinspectors overview of the reasons for the performance drop on these engines is correct, but I want to add a little bit for those of you to those of you who are tempted to compare factory HP ratings of the engines from the 60's to the HP ratings of the 70's engines. In 1972 (if memory serves correctly) the HP rating system changed from gross to net Horsepower. The result was an instant drop in HP numbers even though in some cases the engines were unchanged from the 71 versions. Comparing gross and net numbers is comparing apples and oranges.

The 70 429s did make good HP however they did it with either 10.5 to 1 or 11.3 to 1 compression (the specs tech provided). From personal experience trying to run this much compression on the street is not a lot of fun. If you do build the 429, I would strongly suggest keeping the compression down to 9 to 1 (stock compression on the 72 was 8 to 1).

Also for the 429/460 owners I want to highlight what Tech said ".....use a 68-70 timing chain and sprockets......." in a effort to reduce emissions Ford retarded cam timing on the 72 and latter 385 series engines with a resulting loss of performance. Dollar for dollar using the earlier timing set likely the most cost effective performance mods you can do for these engines.

TheDude is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1965 Ford Mustang, 1965 Galaxie 'vert

Thanks for the responses. I will not be able to verify the year until I get the engine later this week. Still assuming it IS a '72, is it a good candidate for a build up (can I get it to perform as well as the earlier 429s) or should I sell it and make a profit? The price of the engine was $150.00. I already know of two people who want the engine that would probably take it for at least $250.00.

Matt167 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '51 Chevy Fleetline and a Ratrod project

I'd sell it and make profit, you will spend less time and money making the 390 a performer than the low compression 429 unless it is a 1969- 1970 or 1971 and not a 1972 up.
    You don't know what you've got til it's gone

Matt's 1951 Chevy Fleetline- Driver

1967 Ford Falcon- Sold

1930's styled hand built ratrod project

1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle Wolfsburg Edition- sold

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Originally posted by TheDude
    ...assuming it IS a '72, is it a good candidate for a build up (can I get it to perform as well as the earlier 429s) or should I sell it and make a profit? The price of the engine was $150.00. I already know of two people who want the engine that would probably take it for at least $250.00.
    In answer to your question, you need to look at the casting numbers of the cylinder heads. The head casting numbers are located on the outside of the heads, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust port. If you have D0VE or D1VE heads, you ought to be okay, but if they are D2VE-AA heads, then you will need to ditch the heads as they are not performance pieces and are prone to detonation in performance build-ups.

The later model D3VE-A2A heads can be made to work, also, depending on what you wish to do.

The rest of the engine is worthy of rebuilsing for sure.

Paul

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Originally posted by Matt167
    ...you will spend less time and money making the 390 a performer than the low compression 429 unless it is a 1969- 1970 or 1971 and not a 1972 up.
    I don't know how much might be spent converting the Galaxie to accomodate the 429, but I believe rebuilding a 390 will be much more expensive than a 429, when it comes to buying aftermarket parts for the two engines.

Paul

import600 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

What about the 71' 429s? is there a way to remove the emission stuff to free up some power?

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

I've ran the Edelbrock Performer RPM heads on a few big blocks. With a good cam they will make gobs more torque than and FE engine. Torque works great in heavyweight (over 3,000 pounds) street machines. I have also ran the Edelbrock Air Gap intake, thought it worked great..... JMO
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Reply To Thread