Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 build questions.

Reply To Thread
    BigNasty is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: !982 Bronco

429 build questions.

My bro-in-law has a 429 in a 67 or 68 something TBird.
    He is wanting to yank it and scrap most of the internals, keeping the crank block and heads to drop in a hot rod truck he is working on.

He wants to get at least 600+ horses without resorting to anything too exotic, such as a super charger or nitrous.

My question is - with all the available parts for the engine, such as pistons, cams and valves etc, what should he (we, I'll prolly help out on this one )plan on for pistons, the cam, valve sizing etc to reach his goal of a big horse carbed 429?
    wise man says WHEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Why not just try a Ford SVT 514 ci?? Part #M-6007-D514 is rated at 625 HP and 600 ft. lbs. torque. Available at your local Ford parts counter.
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

BigNasty is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: !982 Bronco

I believe it's a matter of want.
    He already has the engine, and wants to build it himself rather than simply going crate.
    Can't say I blame him, hard to learn about engine internal parts and how to assemble, work on, trouble shoot and understand the how and why without getting dirty or by dropping a crate in.
    He has a lot of body and paint experience and wants to learn engines and other mechanical workings so he can have more experience and knowledge

And besides.. if he got the crate engine.. my wife would chop off my head when I got the 429 for myself from him
    I'm kinda attached to it!
    wise man says WHEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Big, I would encourage him to get the crate motor, if you can't keep that 429 hid from your wife just let me know and I'll come pick it up!!!! Tee Hee Hee
    Carroll Shelby

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool Re: 429 build questions.

Originally posted by BigNasty
    My bro-in-law has a 429 in a 67 or 68 something TBird.
    He is wanting to yank it and scrap most of the internals, keeping the crank block and heads to drop in a hot rod truck he is working on.

He wants to get at least 600+ horses without resorting to anything too exotic, such as a super charger or nitrous.

My question is: What should we plan on for pistons, the cam, valve sizing etc to reach his goal of a big horse carbed 429?
    The 1968 429 Thunderjet from a T-bird is a great engine. The block and heads are strong, capable pieces in a performance application, and those parts can handle the 600 HP you are shooting for.

The heads should be casting number C8VE-A. This number can be found on the outside of the head, along the valve cover and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust ports. The Block should also be a C8VE-A casting, and its number is located behind the starter moter and reads vertically. Please confirm these numbers before moving forward, as different casting numbers may mean a different approach to your intended build.

For 600+HP, you must ditch the stock cast pistons and I strongly recommend replacing the rods. With proper rod prep and a few oiling mods, an occasional 6000 rpm is not a major issue, but for the amount spent on rod prep and good rod bolts, etc, you can buy some Eagle SIR I-Beam rods and they have a higher HP rating. A little overkill in the connecting rod department goes a long way, as the stock rods are prone to breaking in the mid-beam area.

One thing that will make your 600HP goal easier to achieve would be a 460 crankshaft. The only difference between a 429 & 460 is the crank stroke and the pistons (pin location). Every other internal component is identical and interchangable. IF you could stroke your motor another 31 cubic inches for an extra $50-$100, wouldn't you do it? Sure you would! So find a good condition 460 crank and make that engine a 460.

The C8VE cylinder heads have been dyno proven to 700 HP in a normally aspirated engine. Proper porting and oversize valves are necessary and this rings true for your 600HP build. Stock valve sizes are 2.08" Intake and 1.65" Exhaust. Re cut the valves seats for a 2.19 Intake and a 1.76 exhast. Enlarge and blend the valve bowls accordingly. Intake port is okay as cast, but the exhaust port will require significant grinding to free up exhaust flow. I strongly recommend you investigate proper porting of the exhaust port as removal of the wrong material can hurt flow.

For 600Hp from a 460, you should be looking at solid lifter camshafts

Suggested Ballpark Build:
    • 460 Crankshaft, Eagle I-Beam Rods & forged pistons 10:1 to 11:1 compression ratio
    • Solid lifter cam kit about .600 lift and 275* intake/280* exhaust duration @ .050" Roller rockers.
    • C8VE heads big valves and ported properly
    • Double roller timing chain
    • Eldelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold.
    • Holley 850 cfm carburetor
    • Headers
    • Quality aftermarket distributor

The above combo will get you in the ballpark, but I think it will take very good porting and perfect tune to pull off 600 HP. A reasonable alternative/upgrade would be the TFS SCJ aluminum street/strip heads or better yet the John Kaase SCJ aluminum heads. Either pair of heads purchased completely assembled will bolt on and then get a slightly bigger cam and Holley 950 HP carb on an Edelbrock Victor single plane intake. You will have your 600Hp for sure.

Another option is to keep the C8VE heads and instead of making a 460, you can buy a 502/514 stroker kit for about $1400. This kit includes crank, rods, pistons, bearings and rings. Simply bring to your machine shop for balance, block overbore, etc. Be sure to get a name-brand kit such as SCAT of Eagle. Buy from source and not ebay no-name kits.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Kane; 10-04-2004 at 09:36 PM.

mxtodd9495 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 70 ford torino, 99 expedition

check this out: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...blockshootout/

613hp BBF with a majority recondition stock parts, including rods and crank-

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Interesting Parallel:

PHR Shootout Article:
    "You'll see that we're using a stock block, crankshaft, and connecting rods in our Shootout engine because they can take the 600hp-level abuse. They will be inspected and prepped, of course, but they are factory parts," and, "once final tuning and timing had been accomplished, the largest-displacement V-8 entered in our contest had churned out 618 hp (at 6,100 rpm) and 554 lb-ft of torque at 4,600 rpm."

Previous Post:
    "With proper rod prep and a few oiling mods, an occasional 6000 rpm is not a major issue."

It's too bad that AEW went with only a 9.5:1 compression ratio with the aluminum heads. Had they gone up a point in compression, I feel certain that the Ford engine would have beaten the Chevy entry.

Paul

Thanks for the link, Todd. Great article.
    Carroll Shelby

Reply To Thread