Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: question about a 460

Reply To Thread
    kenny is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

question about a 460

alright here is my question, i will be getting a 1969 ford torino gt. my main goal is to get the engine compleated and the interior, paint will be last. as i know from reserch there wasnt many 429s out there. so this is what i want to do, i was told its possible but i duno. i want to get a 460 block and bolt on 429 heads to make it a hemi. is this possible to bolt on those heads to that block? also about the transmission, i do not like automatic at all. my dad informed me that i could take the transmission of, get a new one from a diffrent ford fairlane or torino and bolt it on and take the break and clutch peddal from that car and place it in the torino because the break and clutch hang from the same hinge. then i think i have to punch the plug out of the fire wall and hook the cluch up. is this correct or is there somthing else?

sdogget is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 64mercparklane

Angry what do i need to fit a 460 in my parklane

i need info on what motor mounts etc. to fit the 460 into the park lane

The Al Show is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: .

Kenny,
    They didn't make many 68 or 69 Torinos with a standard transmission so it might be hard to find one that you can get parts from after 35 years. But I found that a lot of Mustang parts were interchangeable with the 69 Torino parts. There's a lot more Mustang parts cars around. 65 to 70 Mustangs all used the same platform so the pedal assembly should all be the same. I have a 69 Torino and a few Mustangs but there's still to much snow to get in them and check it out.
    AL
    " Im gone'

kenny is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

this is what ive got, 460 block and i bolted a 351 mustang tranny to it, it works, also the 460 fits into the torino with the engine mounts. almost all the parts manufactured that went into torino, fairlane, mustangs, and rancheros are interchangeable

shaginosh is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery

kenny, yes the heads are interchangeable, also look into other popular cars with similar engine sizes. big blocks with big blocks, small blocks with small blocks.

Dan
    Dan is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1966 Merc. Comet Conv.

There are alot of helpful books out there to help. You will want to check casting numbers to know what parts you exactly have. Some heads are equivalent to each-other between the 429 & 460 engines. Remember to make sure you use a 429 timing chain set and you will get used to smoking the tires. Good Luck

DynoDon is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 55 Chevy Pick-up

It's been 30 years since I wrenched on Fords (1970 Maverick 429 C-6), but I believe the 429 & 460 2-bolt main blocks were the same except for the bore (385 motors). The 429 SCJ blocks had 4-bolt mains and are much more desireable. The C-6 auto trans is very stout & should perform as well or better than a 4-speed. Get a copy of the Ford SVO catalog ... lots of goodies available for the 385's.

Mempho is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 56 Ford F1 429ci

Hey Kenny, this is a super site that should answer your questions, http://www.reincarnation-automotive...ns-1-index.html

Mempho is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 56 Ford F1 429ci

xanth is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 71 granda

kenny I'm attempting to put a 460 into a 71 granda the motor fits better then the cleavland did but I have't to move the motor mounts back about a 1.5 In. to 2.0In. and I can't find any mounts that will allow me to do this do you know how to manage this.

vara4 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1947 International Pick Up

Kenny; those street boss hemi heads don't use regular head gasgets they have grooves inthe heads and used a o-ring gasget. You might get the head to bolt on,but finding the right stuff to make them work on a 460 might not be so easy. Like your not supposed to use a grooved head with a groved block, Why?The valves in a 460 are horizontal and the valves in the hemi are vertical so differant pistons will probably be needed to keep the valves from hitting. My book does not go into a great deal of stuff with the problems you might run in to, but I'm sure your going to have quite alot of problems with this o- ring in the heads for each cylinder. I don't want to be the guy that gives you bad news, So I'll just say good luck and I hope every thing works out for you buddy.

~ Vegas ~
    Last edited by vara4; 02-25-2004 at 04:24 PM.

junkyardjeff is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 37 chevy p/u 55 ford convertable

I dont think the 69 torinos came with the 429s but the 70 and 71 did and I think the engine compartments are the same so all you will need to do is find the mounts ans clutch pedals for the 70/71 and you are in business. You might want to contact Dan Horine in portland oregon 503-282-6666 as he deals in torino parts,he helped me out a few years ago getting the correct mounts for my 70 torino cobra that a previous owner must have bought without a motor and had made hacked mounts. Jeff

Reply To Thread