Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 thunderjet???? HELP!!

Reply To Thread
    gostr is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery

429 thunderjet???? HELP!!

First off Hello. I am new guy here. I have a ? on a 1968 429 thunderjet. I have the engine at a local engine builder who I am having assemble the entire engine. I got a call today from him and he is looking for the water pump block off plate. I looked all over for it and can't find it. I was careful not to misplace any parts when taking the engine apart. He said some engines did not have this plate but he was not sure what ones did or did not have it. So anyone know if the 68 429 thunderjet had one?? I think there were diffrent timing covers, mine has the dipstick going through the cover.

Also I have the ford racing stock chrome oil pan a melling m-84 oil pumd with the press in pickup. Trouble the pickup hits the pan leaving a gap approx 1" between the pan and block anyone ever have this trouble????

Thanks!

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Reposition the pickup on the pump, might have to modify the tube a bit to get the proper clearance to the bottom of the pan, just be sure not to get any kinks in the tube. Not unusual at all. Sorry I can't be of help on the plate, Check an old Chilton book, or dig in the archives at your local Ford shop.??
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

john gemmer is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

try here if no one can help you with your question http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/ they have a lot of ford tec online to help my 70 429 had one but you know ford they change every year
    Last edited by john gemmer; 09-25-2004 at 07:02 PM.
    drive it like ya stole it

heavythunder is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery

your engine

Your engine and all Ford big blocks has a thin metal plate that is installed between the water pump and timing chain assembly.Its called timing chain cover.its an important part part. Without it all your oil and coolant will mix. If you were carefull with your parts,and yours is missing,i would hve to say it wasnt removed from the water pump.Check the pump im sure youll find it stuck on there.Its about an 1/8 inch thick, flat,and has an offset to acomidate the waterpump impeller.it also has all the holes for all the mounting bolts of the pump.If its still missing well then someone took it.There is a reqtangle hole that allows water to pass from the pump through the plate through the timing housing and into the block.At this location on the plate there is a problem with rust and there is not much metal there.Its common to have to replace the plate because of this.Your engine builder worries me.Some engines have this plate and some dont. If he infact said that to you,well he doesnt know much about Fords.Only the big blocks had this plate.The small blocks did not. For example,the 351 does not have this plate.The 351 is a small block.But because the 351 is such a large engine, your builder is not thinking small block / big block. Hes just thinking "Ford engine". And telling you some do and some dont,when the fact is ,he dont know. There are a lot of small details that are very important when rebuliding Ford engines.Dont let him continue,esspessily if your bumping things up in your motor. Take your engine to a builder that knows Ford engines, and not your buddy who thinks he knows. if you dont it will cost you,,,i promise you. good luck,Mike

tbird is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 ford tbird

Like Mike said, mine also has a plate

tbird is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 ford tbird

my plate has a square hole on each side, inlet and outlet

RickinMN is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 75 F100, 73 Tbird, 67 Cougar, 93 mustang

The water pump backing plate is part number C8SZ 8508 A and is available at your local ford dealership for about 25 bucks. I bought a couple in the last year.

Reply To Thread