Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460 vs 408 stroker

Reply To Thread
    TyphoonZR is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 86 S-15 Jimmy sb 400

460 vs 408 stroker

Is a 460 engine a good platform to work with? I am not familiar with the bore and stock combinations. I am thinking of building a 408 stroker out of a 351 Windsor but maybe going to a 460 is easier and cheaper?
    Objects in my rear view mirror are a good thing unless,.... they have red and blue lights flashing.

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Get the 460, then do the 532ci stroker kit on it!!! Not cheap, but man, do the run!!! The 408 is a good motor, if weight is a consideration, I would go that way. The 460's are of course heavier, but even a mild 460 with a good cam packs a bunch of torque. One of my books sez that shipping weight on an aluminum head 351 Windsor is 545 lbs, and an aluminum head 460 is 640 lbs. Weights are for a long block on both. Hope this helps ya. Ford rates the 392 stroker Windsor at 430 HP, 450 FtLbs torque. The 514 stroker from Ford is rated at 625 HP, 600 FtLbs toruqe. Both are available at your local Ford dealer in crate or kit form.
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Thanks Dave. 95 lbs is nothing in the overall picture when you take the huge number differences. 460 all the way.
    Objects in my rear view mirror are a good thing unless,.... they have red and blue lights flashing.

Hey Richard, ews da man! I saved it to my favorites. I will look over those posts later.

Reply To Thread