Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Wanting to give my 460 some pep!!

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    1977 ford 460BB is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '77 Ford F250

Wanting to give my 460 some pep!!

Hey hot rodders;
    I'd like to do a tear down on my 460bb,clean her up,do a thorough
    inspection of everything,and build her back up with some performance
    parts.
    My question is,what few perf.parts could i add to get some pep?

What i have is a '77 Ford F250,2 wheel drive,and all stock with the exception
    of an Edlebrock 1406 carb(electric choke)4bbl and K&N air filter,MSD blaster2
    coil and dist.cap

I have had the oil pan off a couple of times and seen that she's a 2 bolt main.
    Any suggestions?

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

What kind of budget you looking at for the build??? One thing, make sure you get the timing chain set for the older 460's, the one you have is probably retarded for emissions and the older one's aren't... A set of the older 429 heads would also really help the performance... Paul Kane is our resident 460 guru, hopefully he'll stop by with some more specific recomendations on cam and other parts...... Some other's on here I'm sure will have some good suggestions, too. Look through them all and decide what works best with your intended usage....

PS---If you want to save yourself some grief down the road, and help the performance, spend some extra $$$$$$$ and go with a hyydraulic roller cam.... So many problems with the flat tappet cams losing a lobe or two cuz of the lousy oil the gov'ment has mandated we all have to use... No zinc in it, cam lobes get wiped out. With a hydraulic roller, no such problems, just put it in an go fast!!!!!
    Last edited by Dave Severson; 09-02-2010 at 04:54 AM.
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

IC2
    IC2 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

You really don't need too much 'help' for these engines - the later DuraSpark distributor and possibly an MSD box, but the OEM box is pretty good.

If you can find the D0VE-C HEADS (Dave S suggestion which were used on both the 429 and 460 from '68-'72) you will be w-a-a-a-y ahead.

The 1406 carb 750 cfm should be fine. The OEM intake - There are better!!

Camshafts - I agree with needing a roller version in today's oil world. Many choices to pick from.

Timing chain - a Ford or similar double roller with a multiple position small gear. I ran one 9* advanced in a '76 F250. What a wake up call for that engine along with a Holley 3310 (the 780cfm version) and a set of dual exhausts. That truck (std cab, 2wd, 3.70's) was a sleeper but would still pull a big 9000# camper easily.

Get more into it and we'll help you spend your hard earned dollars
    Dave W
    I am now gone from this forum for now - finally have pulled the plug

1977 ford 460BB is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '77 Ford F250

Smile

Shweeet!! thank you very much for the input!!
    I will definitly start with hydraulic roller cams and
    definitly be on the look out for some Dove-c heads.

Once again,thank you guys for your input and eventually
    when i get her all put together, i'll let you know how she runs

moparfever is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Blown 65 Coronet

I disagree with the need for a roller cam. A good flat tappet cam will outlast cheap rollers any day. If you want good mid-range to high-range rpm power, start with a good single plane intake. The single plane will require a bigger accelerator pump shot, so you'll have to adjust the carb. Better yet go to a 750-850cfm carb. Headers next. A mild cam (what we used to call a 3/4 race cam) will really wake up the intake and exhaust. Make sure you have a nice hot spark, either a late model electronic or MSD. You can make a lot more power with these items before you have to spend money on heads and roller cams.

IC2

Quote Originally Posted by moparfever View Post
    I disagree with the need for a roller cam. A good flat tappet cam will outlast cheap rollers any day.
    You didn't really read WHY a couple of us recommended a roller camshaft
    Dave W

Itoldyouso is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '27 ford/'39 dodge/ '23 t

When you make that statement about flat tappet vs roller cams you insert the word "cheap" in there. Not sure where you find a "cheap" roller cam, but if you are comparing apples to apples, a roller cam is far superior to any flat tappet cam, hands down. This has become even more important with the reduction the oil companies are making in all the good additives that kept flat tappet cams and lifters alive in the past. Even the car manufacturers are realizing this and is the reason so many new motors come stock with roller cams.

I also question your advice about a single plane intake. He wants this engine to have a little more zip on the street, and common wisdom is that single planes are great for drag strip use, but fall on their face in daily stop and go driving.

Don

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

First thing I'd be finding out is what the gear ratio in the diff is. If you change cams, you will need to change gears anyway. If you determine that the truck has, for instance, a 3.00 gear and you change to a 3.89 gear, you might find that you have no need to do any work to the motor and that the additional performance from the gear change will satisfy your needs.

Also, don't be too quick to pull the trigger on those early heads without doing your homework. The factory used smaller chambers in those days, resulting in higher static compression ratios that could be supported by the high octane gasoline that was available on every corner. That isn't the case anymore, so we have to build the motors to operate on the available fuels. Using the early heads with a 22cc piston would yield 9.9:1 static compression ratio and could be run on premium pump gas or E85 with the right camshaft and a good tight squish. Heads produced 1973 or later (such as D3VE) will have larger chambers so that you could run a flat-top piston for 9.7:1 static compression ratio and again, could work well on pump gas with the right cam and squish. Don't expect too much from any combination you put together though, if you don't use the right gearset in the differential.

The key to good performance on most any motor is to open up the intake and exhaust so that the motor can breathe. This means, on a street or street/strip motor, 850 carb on a Edelbrock RPM or Weiand Stealth intake manifold and long-tube, equal-length tuned headers. Don't waste your money on shorty headers. They're not much better than stock OEM cast iron exhaust manifolds.
    Last edited by techinspector1; 09-06-2010 at 08:21 PM.

NTFDAY is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '66 Mustang, 76 Corvette

I would take tech's advice and add a good set of headers and go from there.
    Ken Thomas
    NoT FaDe AwaY and the music didn't die
    The simplest road is usually the last one sought
    Wild Willie & AA/FA's The greatest show in drag racing

Quote Originally Posted by NTFDAY View Post
    I would take tech's advice and add a good set of headers and go from there.
    Ken added this before I edited my post with more info. Thanks buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
    You didn't really read WHY a couple of us recommended a roller camshaft
    Actually I did. Todays oil is just fine. Roller tappets weren't designed for better wear characteristics, they came about due to the need to follow steeper profiles. With advances in cam profiling flat tappets now enjoy pretty fast opening ramps. Think about how much force bears down on the tappets. Now compare how much contact area bears all that force is on rollers vs. flat tappets. Rollers have very little area bearling the load. Honestly, with today's oil I'ld expect a good flat tappet cam to last >100,000 miles, especially if he keeps the spring pressure in line with a street engine that won't be hitting 7000rpm. Also don't forget that materials and quality control on cams and lifters are considerably better than yesteryear.

Now for the single plane intakes. Yeah, conventional wisdom does say it's not as streetable as a dual plane, but real experience says something different. As a matter of fact, that "wisdom" probably comes from those small block folks. A big block generates a great signal to the carb at the beginning of each stroke due to the large cylinder cross-section. I've been using single planes on the street many years and never found them to be even slightly non-streetable, and they kick butt!

pat mccarthy is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery

Actually I did. Todays oil is just fine. Roller tappets weren't designed for better wear characteristics, they came about due to the need to follow steeper profiles. With advances in cam profiling flat tappets now enjoy pretty fast opening ramps. Think about how much force bears down on the tappets. Now compare how much contact area bears all that force is on rollers vs. flat tappets. Rollers have very little area bearling the load. Honestly, with today's oil I'ld expect a good flat tappet cam to last >100,000 miles, especially if he keeps the spring pressure in line with a street engine that won't be hitting 7000rpm. Also don't forget that materials and quality control on cams and lifters are considerably better than yesteryear.
    no the oil is not better it has more detergent in the oil. so the oil is not better now? a roller cam can and will go for 300.000 miles on junk oil will a flat lifter cam ? lifters and cam cores are not better then older iron cores put the zinc back in the oil then i may think about more flat lifter cams every thing gets roller cams but the older stuff i build and i send the old core in for a regind for stock use . and then we use hi zinc oil but thats just how i build them
    Last edited by pat mccarthy; 09-06-2010 at 09:29 PM.
    Irish Diplomacy ..the ability to tell someone to go to Hell ,,So that they will look forward to to the trip

Todays oil is just fine.
    No, today's oil is not just fine. It is missing the extreme pressure lubricants that it used to have. They were removed because most motors these days are roller tappets and rollers do not require the zinc and phosphorus. Also, those chemicals had a tendency to plug up catalytic converters, creating warranty claims for the dealerships, so the car makers leaned on the oil companies to remove the chemicals. As soon as that happened, we began seeing a slew of flat tappet motors pooch the cam and lifters. You cannot run an off-the-shelf motor oil in your flat tappet cam motor without some kind of extreme pressure lubricant additive to the engine oil and even then you have to have good kharma for it to work.

Think about how much force bears down on the tappets. Now compare how much contact area bears all that force is on rollers vs. flat tappets. Rollers have very little area bearling the load.
    I'm gettin' the idea that you're saying all this because you read it somewhere or some galoot down at the Sonic Drive In told you this. You have obviously not taken much time to look at flat tappet cams and study their operation. There is only a pencil point of contact at the lobe/lifter interface on a flat tappet and pressure can easily reach 250,000 lbs per square inch.

Now for the single plane intakes. Yeah, conventional wisdom does say it's not as streetable as a dual plane, but real experience says something different. As a matter of fact, that "wisdom" probably comes from those small block folks. A big block generates a great signal to the carb at the beginning of each stroke due to the large cylinder cross-section. I've been using single planes on the street many years and never found them to be even slightly non-streetable, and they kick butt!
    It's all about making power under curve. If you are applying more power to the tires from idle to 4000 rpm's and less power to the tires from 4000 to 5500, guess what, you're going to be faster than the guy in the other lane who makes less power idle to 4000 and more power 4000 to 5500.

I have no idea what you're saying when you say "large cylinder cross section". Would you please translate it into English so the rest of us can make heads or tails out of it.

IC2

I'm glad that Pat and Tech stayed up late to do the camshaft wear/oil part of the response. And I didn't get into the intake part either - thanks guys - my two typing fingers were tired.
    Dave W

Quote Originally Posted by techinspector1 View Post
    No, today's oil is not just fine. It is missing the extreme pressure lubricants that it used to have. They were removed because most motors these days are roller tappets and rollers do not require the zinc and phosphorus. Also, those chemicals had a tendency to plug up catalytic converters, creating warranty claims for the dealerships, so the car makers leaned on the oil companies to remove the chemicals. As soon as that happened, we began seeing a slew of flat tappet motors pooch the cam and lifters. You cannot run an off-the-shelf motor oil in your flat tappet cam motor without some kind of extreme pressure lubricant additive to the engine oil and even then you have to have good kharma for it to work.

I'm gettin' the idea that you're saying all this because you read it somewhere or some galoot down at the Sonic Drive In told you this. You have obviously not taken much time to look at flat tappet cams and study their operation. There is only a pencil point of contact at the lobe/lifter interface on a flat tappet and pressure can easily reach 250,000 lbs per square inch.

It's all about making power under curve. If you are applying more power to the tires from idle to 4000 rpm's and less power to the tires from 4000 to 5500, guess what, you're going to be faster than the guy in the other lane who makes less power idle to 4000 and more power 4000 to 5500.

I have no idea what you're saying when you say "large cylinder cross section". Would you please translate it into English so the rest of us can make heads or tails out of it.
    Well if the oil's not fine then all of my 4 vehicles should have worn out cams by now, but they don't. I get to look at my BMW's cam regularly as it's a solid lifter motor and needs the valves adjusted.

No, it's not something I heard at Sonic. I don't work that way. Really, I'm 52 years old and have been doing everyhting on my cars since I was 15. You don't have to insult me. Yes, at any given moment there is only a small contact point on a flat tappet, but as you know that contact point rotates acting in a similar fashion to a ball bearing and also distributes that wear over a larger area. Sorry for not getting into details. Really, as many old engines as I've torn apart I've rarely seen enough wear on a flat tappet cam to give me much concern.

Okay, power under the curve. Did you read that in a book somewhere? Nobody races from idle. Not with either automatics or standards. A single plane can give plenty of power starting at a reasonable rpm. Now take a look at these numbers. Note test 3, Victor manifold:
    http://www.hughesengines.com/TechArt...st07142002.php
    Do you really think with 450 ft-lbs of torque at 2500rpm you'ld be down to unusable at 1500rpms, which is really where most cars begin using power?

Now on the cylinder cross-section. It's just another way of saying big-block. If you look at how much air gets sucked through the carb during the initial 30 degrees of crank rotation after tdc, a big block sucks considerably more volume than a small block due to the larger cross-section of the cylinder, hence a faster signal to the carb. Of course it's more complicated than that, and takes into account runner volume as well, but in my real-life experience, a single plane works great on big blocks on the street. You do what you want, everybody has an opinion and everyone goes their own way.

Reply To Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast