Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: feesability of a 460

Reply To Thread
    ANT
    ANT is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 69' Camaro RS

feesability of a 460

i'm thinkin bout droppin in a 460 into a 92' f-150 and putting 4" lift and 35 inch tires. I know there are factors but what kind of gas mileage you think i will get. I know it wont be much it's a gas hawg but i would like to drive it often.

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

If gas mileage is a concern, don't even think about a 460. On a good day, they might do 10mpg in a 4wd truck. 460's are made for power, not economy.
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

ANT

yeah your right, i want it cause it's made for power but i dont want to refill the tank every time i lay the hammer down. hmmmmm any suggestions

Matt167 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '51 Chevy Fleetline and a Ratrod project

351 Fuel Injected. Or a 460 Fuel Injected made between the years of 1988 - 1989. With ur original plan I don't think that Dave put the 35" Swampers in to the gas miliage equasion, I think with that setup you'll get 6 MPG if ur lucky, lock it up in 4X4 3-4 MPG drop in 4 low probably less than a gallon a mile. Fuel Injected engines are usually far more echinomical.
    You don't know what you've got til it's gone

Matt's 1951 Chevy Fleetline- Driver

1967 Ford Falcon- Sold

1930's styled hand built ratrod project

1974 Volkswagen Super Beetle Wolfsburg Edition- sold

junkyardjeff is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 37 chevy p/u 55 ford convertable

Fuel injection and a trans with overdrive,there are adapters made to install smallblock AODs to the 460 motor and there is someone in canada who will build a AOD cheaper than a add on unit.

ANT

allright this sounds good but the truck has an automatic so i dont need to worry about overdrive correct?

and does somebody have a link for fuel injection kits for a late 70's 460 out of a lincoln car (i think not sure on year)?

ANT

allright another question if a 351 made 420 total hp and 380 from 1500 to 4000 would the engine still wear out fast cause i heard that 351s did not have a very long life span? Questions before these are still important!
    thanks guys

p.s. i have to form a decent amount of knowledge in order to make an educated decision on what i want to put in my truck!

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

If it's built right, a 351 W. will last as long as any other engine. There's lot of them around with over 100,000 on the ticker. The engines that don't last (whatever size or flavor) or usually because somebody used cheap parts, poor machine work, careless assembly, or all of the above.
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

domestic demon is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery

460 help

i have a question ive got an 89 ford 250 with the 460 and im spilling oil out all over the place"piston rings " the engine has over 300,000 on it should i rebuild it or will it be cheaper to just buy a crate engine?

drg84 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1996 Aurora Autobahn edition

Also if you rebuild it, you can add any mods you want. With a crate motor, its kind of "this is what you get" theology. Be sure to have the block checked before doing anything, and TBI might be something worth checking out.
    Right engine, Wrong Wheels

460_fan is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 86 F250 4X4

I am not sure what your looking for out of a crate engine, but most of the decent 460 crates are $5000 or more. I am rebuilding mine at the moment, and am getting it complete for about $2500. That is with performance parts, stock, you could do it for less. If you just dumping alot of oil on the pavment, replacing all the seals and gaskets is alot cheaper than a crate. I got a complete engine gasket and seal kit from Jeggs for $65.00 One thing to remember about rebuilding, you always gonna find more than you bargained for. I am running into the "Well, it is already apart, might as well replace that too." problem. It is spendy, but I am sure it is cheaper than buying a crate engine.

Good luck,
    Cheers
    460_Fan

Ives Bradley is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 49 Ford tudor

Fellas dont forget about the awsome stroker windsors. U can get up to 454 cubes and they are torque monsters so they live a long time.
    Choose your battles well===If it dont go chrome it

RickinMN is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 75 F100, 73 Tbird, 67 Cougar, 93 mustang

IF it was a small block I would definetly say the best buy would be a crate motor. You can't build a good small block for what Ford is selling the crate motors for. My brother bought a brand new 351W for $2500 with tax in 98 and its been a great motor Although I looked at the big blocks and all they are selling is the higher compression motors. Which is fine if you want to go all out. I wanted a daily driver in the Minnesota winters and run on cheap gas. Everything that I found is around 10:1 or more compression. I built a motor with 8.5 compression so I could run the cheaper gas since I am getting 10 MPG. I think I still spent more than $5000 on parts. I don't want to add it up. IT runs great though. I would recommend it you can find a good new crate motor with the compression ration you want to buy it. You will probably be money ahead.

Reply To Thread