Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: new cam for 429

Reply To Thread
    DemoDonny is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

new cam for 429

hey guys i want to put a cam in my mildly built 429 it has dove heads with 2.25 int 1.72 ex. dished pistons complete msd system with coil and distr. holley 750 edelbrock rpm airgap balanced. Iam putting this motor in my 77 ford mud truck which i occasionall drive on the road i have 4.56 gears and
    35" tall boggers i was thinking a roller cam(hyd) maybe but this truck will turn about 6000 rpms hopefully with most of the power being usded in the 2500 to 6000 range i also have a 2500 stall converter i also have adjustable roller rockers on there . any ideas where to get what i am looking for or what i even need. thanks for all your help.

pat mccarthy is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery

i would look at a solid roller cam if in mud use and to the hi side of 5000+rpm i just did do alot of work on a set of the dove c head put the cleveland valves in them with 2.250 and 1.710 a cam that may work good would be 246/254 @050 lift 640/640 on 110 your stall may need to be abit more .but in low lock you may get away with it ? i use erson cams that what that cam is a shelf cam #e260901 lifters rl957 springs 3850 #220@1950 open 580 lbs a custom roller can be ground with hyd lifters with rl963 lifters but are $$ thats why i would run the solid roller as well there abit less $$ and will take the rpms ..better if your past 5000 alot . the last two 460 i did i used a solid roller both off road sand snow mud racing
    Last edited by pat mccarthy; 01-09-2010 at 12:11 PM.
    Irish Diplomacy ..the ability to tell someone to go to Hell ,,So that they will look forward to to the trip

DemoDonny is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

thanks for the info iguess the only reason i was looking for a hyd. cam was to have less maintnance but for no more than this truck will be used it will not be an issue.

pat mccarthy is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by DemoDonny View Post
    thanks for the info iguess the only reason i was looking for a hyd. cam was to have less maintnance but for no more than this truck will be used it will not be an issue.
    what maintnace ? the only time they need to be set is if some thing is going to hell i used solid roller on the street and off road for over 25 years i set them maybe one time a year . you can go hyd roller and for alot of stuff i build for the street or mild use i go that way but not for what you are doing. i seen guys rpm them more then they say they are the hyd lifters are $500 and solids are less then $300 but that up to you and take all the rpms you can throw it them
    Irish Diplomacy ..the ability to tell someone to go to Hell ,,So that they will look forward to to the trip

Reply To Thread