Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: problems with starter breaking teeth on flywheel

Reply To Thread
    jeffs71fastback is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 71 Ford Torino fastback

problems with starter breaking teeth on flywheel

I have went through 2 flywheels(chewed up) Can anyone help? Its a 164 tooth flywheel and a stock starter for a 71 torino. My c-6 transmission came out of a truck would that be my problem?

t0oL is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: track T (toronado drive)

can only guess- perhaps the starter gear is not engaging the flywheel fully?
    As they mark the ring/pinion setup in a rear end you could check what it looks like
    with grease. Open the inspection cover and look (two bolts)

Are the teeth breaking of the flywheel only at a certain depth on the tooth?
    Two different ways to improperly engage the gear, one from bendix not engaging to the forward horizontally. The deepness of engagement in the vertical direction is determined by the starter design and any shims installed.

In any event, if the starter is messing with the flywheel, you should not wait around before purchasing a new/rebuilt starter made for the application, as changing a flywheel soon will be a REAL pain and expense

jerry clayton is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

what kind of bell housing do you have????

wrenchinrick is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 45 ford truck

just a guess did you check to see if there is a bushing that is worn out in the front of the starter.this could possibly cause the starter teeth to not engage properly.had this problem on a chevy starter before .not sure if ford starters have the bushing? good luck

vara4 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1947 International Pick Up

Hey Jerry; Not sure that his is the same but my C - 6 trany and bell housing is one piece.
    In other words you can not remove the bell housing from the trany.
    I also have the small block C - 6, he may have the big block C - 6.
    I'm wondering if he has the right starter for that trany, I know that there is at least two differant starters for those. I had the same problem before and called Summits tech department, I think my trany had the bigger flywheel origanaly. Kurt

I was thinking that I might have the wrong starter since my c-6 trans came out of a truck and my 429 is a car motor. My flywheels teeth are completely broken off. They are not just chipped or anything. I think I am going to have to get a truck starter instead of a starter for the car. Plus a new flywheel???? If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. Thanks Jeff

My teeth on the flywheel are gone completely no chips or anything. I am using a big block C-6 tranny out of a truck. My engine came out of a car. The starter is a 429 car starter. I think I may have to get a truck starter. I am using a stock bellhousing. block plate and 164 teeth flywheel. If anybody has anyother ideas It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Jeff

hotrodstude is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 2006,ford,f-150,v-6,5-speed manual

dose the manual trans take a different starter than an auto??? i don't know i only buy manuals.

i con't think the flywheels are the same for a truck as a car. check with a for parts dept.
    Last edited by hotrodstude; 07-07-2010 at 06:48 AM.

Reply To Thread