Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Fords are expensive!!!!

Reply To Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by josh bichard View Post
    I am trying to think of all angles of my bbf build and want to be sure about what I want to do before I start buying parts. I started doing some price checking on some things so I called a couple machine shops to get some figures and was rocked by what I heard. To get my dove-c heads rebuilt to stock form, (no porting, cheap valves, small valve springs) is going to be around 700 bucks. 700 bucks for some 40 year old stock heads. I already have a couple hundred in just buying these heads. I am not saying these guys were bsing me, just that I didnt know it would cost that much.
    So now I am thinking about taking a little more time on the car and getting some performer rpms or some john kaase p51s. I am leaning toward the edelbrocks because I am worried that my 429 would need a crazy big cam to move the air that the john kaase heads can.
    Any input would be great.
    Machine work is machine work, it doesn't matter what heads you have, Ford, Chevy, etc. Generally, when it coes to american V8s (with rare exception) valve job is a valve job whether small block heads, big block heads, chevy heads, olds heads, etc, as is valve stem seals, locks etc. Has nothing at all to do with Ford.

What are you building that cannot use OEM style valves and springs? If you need more than stock componentry in your build then I certainly hope you are willing to spend WAY more than $700 on heads and not complain about it. All this being said, you did not specify what you get for your $700. For example, does the price include the installation of hardenend exhaust seats? 3-angle vavle job? Is a crack repair involved? Etcetera. We can't tell if this is a good deal or not unless you spell out what you get for $700. Also, for your information "40 year old stock 429/460 heads" can be set up to kick the ass out of some of the aftermarket aluminum heads on the market these days, and for equal or less than the cost of the alloy heads.

And you want to put P51's on a little ol' 429??? Are you racing and revving the engine to 8500 rpm? I doubt you are as this would be a pricey combo and you are complaining about a $700 machining estimate, nor do I think you would consider unported iron for such an application. I'm betting that P51's are way, way, way too much cylinder head for your tiny engine and that you will get more usable powe with a different cylinder head choice.

What exactly are you building? How much hp do you want? Must the engine run on pump gas? In what kind of vehicle will it be used? Answer these questions and you might get a more definitive answer about how you should approach your engine build.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

josh bichard is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 64 chevy stepside

Well Paul, I thank you for your reply, but if I knew exactly what I wanted to do with this build, I wouldnt be on here asking questions. And the 700 was and estimate a machinest told me to rebuild the heads to stock form. I don't know exactly what ALL that includes. Once again, If I did know, Why would I ask anyone anything. All I am saying is that I have a very modest understanding of performance applications and what ALL that is involved in a performance build. I am young and am trying to learn some things and look at all options, without people being snappy with me. So please, try to humor me a little without being so rude.
    Thanks, Josh

P.s. "A man wouldnt know how to tie his own two shoes if someone did not show him how".....josh bichard

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by josh bichard View Post
    Well Paul...please try to humor me a little without being so rude.
    Thanks, Josh
    Josh,

After reading your latest post, I went back and re-read mine. And I don't see where I am being rude. On the contrary, I believe I am providing a great deal of insight towards head selection, and also inquiring about the details of the machine shop quote so as to get a repsonse from you where we can better determine if your price quote is a fair one or not.

Good luck with your build,

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Kane; 09-05-2009 at 10:01 AM.

429/460 Engine Fanatic

sg4356 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 32 ford roadster

Josh did you try jims machine shop out on 287 going towards Dumas. He machined a engine for me once it was the best engine i ever had, and i remember him doing a big ford for some guy there in amarillo and it ran real well also. tell him Dennie sent you
    Sometime Kool is the Rule But Bad is Bad

josh bichard is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 64 chevy stepside

I have heard good things about jims. I'll probably give him a call.
    Paul, sorry for the misunderstanding. You know it's hard to judge tone through text.
    Thanks for being mature about all this.
    josh

Reply To Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2