Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460 Stroker

Reply To Thread
    hot19rod69 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 68 Ford Galaxie

460 Stroker

I have a 1996 FI 460 out of an F350 in my 1988 Bronco that I would like to juice up. Can I put a 552 stroker kit in it? Do I have to modify the block to do-so? Will E6TE 460 heads bolt on to that block?

Does anyone have any good performance books that they would recommend that I read for the build-up I'm thinking of?

Sorry to have such generic questions but this is my first BBF build-up.

Thanks in advance for any info.

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

Quote Originally Posted by hot19rod69 View Post
    I have a 1996 FI 460 out of an F350 in my 1988 Bronco that I would like to juice up. Can I put a 552 stroker kit in it? Do I have to modify the block to do-so? Will E6TE 460 heads bolt on to that block?

Does anyone have any good performance books that they would recommend that I read for the build-up I'm thinking of?

Although I've built a few Lima motors, I'm certainly not a guru whose knowledge is specific to them. I have built motors for 50 years though, so I know a little something about how things work.

First off, I would not be considering a production cylinder head on a 552 inch motor. That's tantamount to forcing an Olympic runner to breathe through a straw. Here's the type of head I'd be thinking about for such a combination...
    http://www.trickflow.com/partdetail....1&autoview=sku
    If you plan to keep the EFI, I have no idea if it would bolt up to these heads. I would think that it would bolt up ok, but call the manufacturer and ask. I also have no idea how to tweak the EFI to work with 552 cubic inches. I'm a carburetor guy, so if this were my build, I'd adapt a 1050 Dominator to a Edelbrock RPM dual-plane intake. I don't care for single-plane intake manifolds.

Putting it together at 10.0:1 and using this hydraulic flat tappet cam....(max torque with this combination)....
    http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...?csid=990&sb=0
    produces these results....
    RPM HP TQ
    2000 210 552
    2500 265 558
    3000 336 588
    3500 419 629
    4000 490 643
    4500 553 645
    5000 597 627
    5500 602 574
    6000 557 488
    Last edited by techinspector1; 06-29-2009 at 04:32 PM.

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

We ran one of them, a 557" engine one year, then went back to the 501" strokers, plenty of performance and they hang together very well!!! As Tech said, forget the stock heads!!!! We have one engine with some much reworked Edelbrock aluminum heads, and the other has a set of Ford Cobra Jet aluminum heads...both do a bit over 500 horse and torque at the wheels on the chassis dyno.

As for your Bronco, you didn't say what mods you have to the transmission and drivetrain, but the stroker motor will turn the stock parts to junk with all the extra torque!!!! 500+ ft lbs of torque due a lot of damage to driveline parts that are only rated for about 350 ft. lbs!!!!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

DaveMax is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 70 F100 pro street

go to 460ford.com you will find all you ever wanted to know about 460 stroker combos there. ask any question, everyone is there to help. alot of pro builders there. I am building a 588 for my F100. I'm using a motorsport 460 block though for the extra strength and 4 bolt mains. better oiling also, but I'm shooting for 900 horse on pump gas. There are some good cast heads. some of the guys on there are making some good horse with them. there class requires OEM heads. I am using TFS a460 heads.
    Dave.
    I'm under Dave Maxwell on there if you make it over.
    Paul Kane on here is a very respected member on there for parts and 460 knowledge

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

The common offshore 552 stroker uses a 4.5-inch stroker crank, and they fit the 429/460 blocks without any clearancing. The E6TE heads bolt on; whether or not you choose to use them depends on what kind of engine you are building.

Tell us more about your intended engine build....in other words, desired hp/tq, compression ratio, must be pump gas friendly or no, how the vehicle will primarily be used, etc.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMax View Post
    I'm under Dave Maxwell...Paul Kane on here is a very respected member on there for parts and 460 knowledge
    Hey Dave! All the way back from the Network54 days!

"Hey Bro..."

How've you been?

P

429/460 Engine Fanatic

I'm trying to get away from the 245HP that the motor came stock with. I would like to keep the stock EFI if I can get say 400HP on pump gas. I will be running 39.5" boggers for playing in the mud. I'm not a mud drag or TTC guy just a wortking stiff who would like to play in the mud on the weekends with my boys.

The Bronco has a Recently rebuilt C-6 and a good transfer case. The guy who rebuilt them said they would easily handle 450-500 lbs of torque.

I would rather break a driveline/u-joint or axle shaft rather than run out of power. I can always bolt on running gear additions but rebuilding/installing a new motor seems more time consuming.

I guess I've always been the guy who started with a good motor and worked outward.

The last thing I want to be is "all show and no go."

I just have to say thanks for all your great information. You guys really seem to be in the know.

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

[QUOTE=hot19rod69;357299]I'm trying to get away from the 245HP that the motor came stock with. I would like to keep the stock EFI if I can get say 400HP on pump gas. I will be running 39.5" boggers for playing in the mud. I'm not a mud drag or TTC guy just a wortking stiff who would like to play in the mud on the weekends with my boys.

The Bronco has a Recently rebuilt C-6 and a good transfer case. The guy who rebuilt them said they would easily handle 450-500 lbs of torque.

I would rather break a driveline/u-joint or axle shaft rather than run out of power. I can always bolt on running gear additions but rebuilding/installing a new motor seems more time consuming.

I guess I've always been the guy who started with a good motor and worked outward.

The last thing I want to be is "all show and no go."

QUOTE]

Now that's the right attitude!!!!! I've heard of people having too much horsepower, but can't imagine it ever happening to me!!!!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Cool

I'm trying to get away from the 245HP that the motor came stock with. I would like to keep the stock EFI if I can get say 400HP on pump gas. I will be running 39.5" boggers for playing in the mud. I'm not a mud drag or TTC guy just a wortking stiff who would like to play in the mud on the weekends with my boys.
    The FI heads and FI intake must be kept as a set. The carb heads, carb intakes carb exhaust manifolds must be kept as a set as well. They are not interchangble among each other. If you want 400 hp with the OEM FI fuel system and the OEM FI top end, you are pushing the limits of the OEM FI system.

400 hp would be much easier with ported E6TE heads, aluminum intake, bigger carab and a camshaft.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Thanks Paul!

I had a feeling the EFI was going to head south. I just picked up another '69 460 block and a set of '73 heads so I now have enough parts for my '88 Bronco and '68 Galaxie.

Is the 545/552 stroker kit from carsbycarl the best quality/cost effective way to go? do you have any better recommendations for a 4.5" crank kit?

pat mccarthy is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery

i have a 429 block hot tank mag std bore could of fix you up with a short block machine and done .call competiton products i am sure they can build you a kit they have the steel 4340 for $700.i would use the JE pistons 170879 for 545 or 170880 for 557 with the compstar H beam rods 6.700
    Last edited by pat mccarthy; 07-22-2009 at 04:05 PM.
    Irish Diplomacy ..the ability to tell someone to go to Hell ,,So that they will look forward to to the trip

Cool

Thanks Paul!

I had a feeling the EFI was going to head south. I just picked up another '69 460 block and a set of '73 heads so I now have enough parts for my '88 Bronco and '68 Galaxie.

Is the 545/552 stroker kit from carsbycarl the best quality/cost effective way to go? do you have any better recommendations for a 4.5" crank kit?
    CarsByCarl offers fine stroker kits for your intended build.

For 500 hp or so, you will be fine with a cast crankshaft, well below that part's power handling capabilities. I have a personal preference for the 4.3 stroke over the 4.5 stroke, but my reasoning behind this does not apply so much to a 500 hp build, so go for a 4.5 stroke if you want.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Reply To Thread