Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 Thunderjet

Reply To Thread
    Mojoedead is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

429 Thunderjet

Hello, I have a 1971 Ford Thunderbird that I had to pull the engine out for a rebuild. Its all original with 38000 miles. My question is while I have the engine out maybe trying for a little more horsepower. Not looking to take it to the drag strip. Sort of looking keeping the engine stock looking. I read where changing the cam / timing chain / head work will give the 429 some more horse power. Can anyone be specific on exactly what I should be looking for? (Maybe Summit Part Numbers). Keep in mind that "Pony Carburetor" just rebuilt the original carburetor that I might want to use on the rebuild. I believe its a Autolight 4300. Mostly I would like the air filter to go back on. I am open for suggestions from modest to the most.
    Thanks.

Hey Guys. I was hoping for more than one opinion on this rebuild. Any one else have two cents to throw in?
    Last edited by Mojoedead; 03-24-2009 at 02:49 PM.

Daffy427 is offline Banned Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: The thing in the avatar

Some of those had the cam timing retarded from the factory...Put it in straight up and gain some torque..Not sure if the 71 429 was one of them or not..
    I remember when hot rods were all home made.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Biggler carburetor such as a Holley 750 or 850, free flowing dual 2-inch exhaust system, advance the ignition timing.

Of course there is a lot more that can be done with these engines, but that's about all anyone can offer without more detailed perfomance requirements from you. Porting the heads, for example, can enable them to be capable of supporting more than twice the hp that your engine currently has.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Mojoedead is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

429 Thunderjet

Paul, Thanks for the reply. I really do not have any performance requirements. About the requirement is to use the original rebuilt carburetor on the rebuild.
    John at "Pony Carburetor" suggested:
    1. Cam duration – do not exceed 220* at .050.
    2. Take compression to 9.5:1.
    3. Use retrofit roller cam and retrofit roller rockers.

I read about making the exhaust ports larger.
    Lowering the compression means less horsepower?

I really do not know much about rebuilding engines. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

R Pope is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Jobber timing sets are marked "straight up." Get a roller chain set while you're at it. Your Autolite is a good reliable street carb. The 'Bird might have D0VE heads, if not try to find some. The intake will be marked D0VE , too, probably.
    Almost any aftermarket cam will be a big improvement over pretty much any stock 429 cam. They were intended to haul purple-haired old ladies to the bingo parlor, not performance .

Reply To Thread