Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 information please

Reply To Thread
    hartley808 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

429 information please

I bought a 429 Thunderjet 4V with a C6 transmition out of a old ford truck for 300 dollars it runs. I do not know any thing about the 429 could someone help. My daughter wants to put it in her '74 Rancheo and drag race on the weekends good idea or to much HP. My other kids race a '74 El Camino with a High Perofrmace 350 and a '65 Impala 4Dr SS I do not know much about a ford.The only numbers I could find is listed below

DOVE-A on the heads?
    DOAE-9C485 on valve cover on Drive side?
    These numbers were on the intake maifold behind the carb.
    4 DOVE-9435-B
    F4 9J151

Could anyone tell me what these mean.

Thanks

stovens is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 48 Ford F1

should do nicely. Paul Kane is the 460 expert here, and guys like Dave S. and a few others have made some nice Ford powered drag cars. They should chime in soon. For me I have a 71 460 with DOVE-C heads, pretty good engine capable of some great horse power done with the right setups, which the other guys should be able to stear you in the right direction. I also believe the Dove-a heads are good!
    " "No matter where you go, there you are!" Steve.

shoprat is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 57 RANCHERO

Your other kids don't have a chance. That ol Ford is proly 360 hp.
    Have fun!

HOSS429 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

the usual hop ups will do ..small cam ..280 degrees or so .. intake and big carb .. headers and gears ..and lose all the weight you can .. i make my stuff light and saves on horse power money .. and then there`s always n.o.s .. i ran it on my 429 for 10 years or so .. no problems ..
    iv`e used up all my sick days at work .. can i call in dead ?

R Pope is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

"Too much horse power....." What a novel idea!!!
    The D0VE heads are keepers. 429's (and 460's) really respond to a cam change, the factory ones are pretty mild, just don't go overboard on duration. I agree, your girl's Ranchero should blow the doors off her brothers' rides.

twin blown is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by r pope View Post
    "too much horse power....." what a novel idea!!!
    The d0ve heads are keepers. 429's (and 460's) really respond to a cam change, the factory ones are pretty mild, just don't go overboard on duration. I agree, your girl's ranchero should blow the doors off her brothers' rides.
    to much hp whats that?????

vara4 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1947 International Pick Up

Hartley808; there is 5 combinations for that year 429 and it goes like this.
    with 10.5:1 - 2V is 320hp.
    with 10.5:1 - 4V is 360hp.
    with 11.3:1 - 4V is 370hp./CJ
    with 11.3:1 - 4V is 375hp./SCJ
    with 11.3:1 - 4V is 375hp./BOSS
    Hope this helps Kurt
    Last edited by vara4; 02-09-2009 at 05:14 PM.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by hartley808 View Post
    I bought a 429 Thunderjet 4V with a C6 transmition out of a old ford truck for 300 dollars it runs. I do not know any thing about the 429 could someone help. My daughter wants to put it in her '74 Rancheo and drag race on the weekends good idea or to much HP. My other kids race a '74 El Camino with a High Perofrmace 350 and a '65 Impala 4Dr SS I do not know much about a ford.The only numbers I could find is listed below

DOVE-A on the heads?
    DOAE-9C485 on valve cover on Drive side?
    These numbers were on the intake maifold behind the carb.
    4 DOVE-9435-B
    F4 9J151

Could anyone tell me what these mean.

Thanks
    Wow, a 429 T-Jet with a C6, running. You got a lot for your $300! Best as I can tell based on the info provided, you have a 429 Thunderjet that was manufactured toward the end of 1969. It may have gone into a 1969 year model vehicle but more likely went into a 1970 year model vehicle.

The engine's year of manufacture is not quite as important as the engineering revisions, or "casting numbers."

The cylinder head casting numbers are located on the outside of the head, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust ports. They are visible simply by raising the hood and looking at the engine. You have noted that you have D0VE ("D" "Zero" "V" "E") heads. D0VE-A and D0VE-C heads (which are essentially the same) are the most sought-after of the mass produced passenger car heads and have supported in excess of 700 hp (naturally aspirated) after full porting and in the proper engine combo.

The cylinder block casting number is located on the ouside of the engine, at the rear of the cylinder bank, behind the starter motor and reads vertically. There, you should be able to find a cast-in alphanumeric number, and if you engine is not bastardized since being released from the factory it should be one of the following:
    • C9VE-B
    • D0VE-A
    Or, it may appear similar to one of the above numbers but a little different.

The 1969 & 1970 Thunderjet engines were actually base model 429's, but they advertised 10.5:1 compression ratio and 360 horsepower. In reality they had slightly less compression ratio and generated about 325 hp, which is still quite respectable for a base model engine. Further, that engine is a fine foundation from which to build a really high performance engine capable of more power than most hot rod enthusiasts really need, in fact my Biz partners have made 4-figure horsepower with those heads and that 2-bolt cylinder block in a blown alcohol race car.

If you have the C9VE block that is just fine, but if you have the D0VE-A block, well, people will pay more for a BARE D0VE-A block than you paid for the entire powertrain. But even if you have the C9VE-B block rest assured that it can supprt big hp. Most all 460 blocks can.

I would be wary of drag racing with the 40-year old cast pistons, worn timing chain, etc. Regardless, that engine in a 1974 Ranchero will have rear tire traction problems for sure, as my 1974 Mercury wagon with 460 (which had almost 100 hp less than your 429) smoked the tires like it was nobody's business.

Adding headers and a Holley 750 or 850 will help that engine breathe better above 4000 rpm, but the unfortunate truth is that the exhaust ports in the 429/460 heads are highly restrictive and start backing up above 4500 rpm or so. Clean up the exhaust ports (etc) and the upper rpm power is transformed a la Jeckyl and Hyde.

For a brief description of cylinder block differences, click HERE.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Kane; 02-09-2009 at 06:53 PM.

429/460 Engine Fanatic

I post a respons acouple od day ago did anyone get it

I found the casting numbers it is C9VE-2 and inside the heasd the number was 9F12 there was not other numbers under the value covers.

I want to get about 425 to 450 HP out of the old girl can anyone help me and my daughter with a set remember that we have never done this beofre, my sons engines were built by a Mech. I bought a DVD which shows alot but it shows how to build a 514 Stoker which is 850 to 900 HP to much for a street car.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Hartley and Sheyann

Cool

I want to get about 425 to 450 HP out of the old girl can anyone help me and my daughter with a set remember that we have never done this before...

Thanks again for everyones help.

Hartley and Sheyann
    Shortblock, basic parts: C9VE block, get an OEM 460 crankshaft (you will use the 429 rods, exact same as 460 rods), Speed-Pro L2404-030 pistons, double roller timing chain installed straight up, CompCams Cam Kit (Summit Racing part number COMP Cams K34-247-4, includes cam, lifters, valve springs, retainers, locks, timing chain), 3/4-groove main bearings, balance the rotating assy, etc.

Top End, basic parts: Ported C9VE heads 2.19/1.72 stainless valves, 3-angle valve job, roller rocker valve train, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake manifold, aftermarket distributor or Ford OEM Dura-Spark electronic distributor (recurved), Holley 850 cfm carb, List #4781

The above is basic parts only, the rest is typical rebuild parts (gaskets, oil pump, etc) Do not cheap out by purchasing no-name hot rod parts! It can cost you your entire engine.

Your engine will displace 466 cubic inches and have a pump gas friendly 9.6:1 compression ratio.

This is for basic reference only.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Thanks a million, I will start from here and keep you up to date may tak awhile becasue i am learning.

Thanks Again
    Hartley and Sheyann

Paul,

You stated "Ported C9VE heads 2.19/1.72 stainless valves" Can I use my DOVE A Heads or change them out?

Hartley

Cool

Paul,

You stated "Ported C9VE heads 2.19/1.72 stainless valves" Can I use my DOVE A Heads or change them out?

Hartley
    Sorry about the confusion. C9VE heads and D0VE heads are essentially the same configuratioin cylinder head. Yes, you may port your D0VE heads and they wiill work excellently.

However, if you intend to port them yourself and know little about these engines, then I strongly suggest that you pay a $25 subscription fee to the website noted below which shows a very effective method for porting 429/460 iron cylinder heads. The value is worth every penny (and a lot more) and will prevent you from ruining your cylinder heads.

www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Go to the above website and pay the $25 fee to gain access to D0VE cylinder head porting. Bigger is NOT always better and Scotty (website owner) gives pages and pages of detailed pictures and instruction on how to make your heads rock 'n' roll.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Alittle off subjet but I have a 1965 Chevy Caper addiotn with a 350 engine, it was running off the chart and I replace the Termastate, High Flow water pump, and a new radiator and the engine is now running about 220-230 at 65-70 mph what is the normaol operationg temp of a Chevy 350 and now what do dI do?

Reply To Thread