Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429/460 In '67 Ranchero opinions

Reply To Thread
    67Ranchero is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1967 Ford Ranchero 500

429/460 In '67 Ranchero opinions

Hi All. First time Ford owner. i was lucky enough to pick up a 2nd owner 67 Ranchero that was originally equipped with a 289 3pd. My plans were to install a late model 302 and overdrive tranny. I was given a 94 Thunderbird where I removed the motor/trans and all wiring/computer and was going to drop change it all over.
    I have been a Chevy owner most of my life running 396-454s in all my toys, so the big block bug is in my blood. I have been seriously thinking of running a 429-460 in the car. I have researched and found all the conversion parts online. I have been reading that the pre '73 engines are the way to go for hp and torque but I know later hp/torque figures are rear wheel hp.

I have the option to buy a '69 T-bird w/429 for $800 with under 80,000 original miles and also know of a 1971 460 for $600 that is supposed to run very well with a C-6 but its not in the car. I also found a 77 460 in a pickup at the junkyard as a rebuildable core for $100. Any suggestions?

Does it really matter what year engine I go with? I don't mind rebuilding the engine and adding different pistons/different year heads etc. I mainly want the car to be fun and smoke my brothers '77 Cutlass with a '70 455 LOL

Thanks in advance.

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

The earlier year 460 had better heads and higher compression, the 77 is a smogger engine and down on power...... Oh yeah, welcome to CHR! I've got a '67 myself, though it's a long ways from stock--or done..... pics in my gallery if you're interested...
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

mooneye777 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1948 ford anglia

There were many configurations of the 429/460 motors. The blocks were all very stout and some models were premium blocks like the DOVE-A and DIVE-AA series blocks. The 429 and 460 are the same block, just a different rotating assymbly. The many different cylinder heads played a big role in the motors performance, and thats where you need to watch mostly are the heads you get. You go through the motor and build it right and put a good series head on it, that 455 should be no problem. (sorry Olds guys). Here are a couple sites to muddle through with some good reading and casting numbers.

Block and head info and casting numbers Very good site

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/components_3.htm

General 385 series article

http://www.mustangandfords.com/techa...ide/index.html

Cylinder head numbers and performance levels

http://www.reincarnation-automotive....s-1-index.html
    Last edited by mooneye777; 01-02-2009 at 05:35 AM.

Live everyday like it were your last, someday it will be.

junkyardjeff is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 37 chevy p/u 55 ford convertable

Get the 69 motor if power is what you are after,you will have to use good gas they have more compression then the 71 and up and do not like the regular blend gas we have now. If it was going to be a daily driver the 71 motor should run on todays gas. Jeff

It will be a daily driver. I am leaning towards the $100 core motor and just rebuilding and picking up a set of earlier set of heads. and aluminum intake, small cam headers and a carb.
    I want it fun, and reliable. I met tack it up to Friday night drags. I'd be happy building a 14 second daily driver.
    67 Ford Ranchero 500 289 3spd, Factory AC, PS (soon to be 460?)

83 S-10 Blazer 2wd V8 th350

junkyardjeff is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 37 chevy p/u 55 ford convertable

If you use factory heads stay away from them with a D2 casting numbers as I think they are a one year only head and they are a screwed up design,use D0 or C9 or D3 and newer. Jeff

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 67Ranchero View Post
    i was lucky enough to pick up a 2nd owner 67 Ranchero that was originally equipped with a 289 3pd. My plans were to install a late model 302 and overdrive tranny.

I have been seriously thinking of running a 429-460 in the car. I have researched and found all the conversion parts online. I have been reading that the pre '73 engines are the way to go for hp and torque but I know later hp/torque figures are rear wheel hp.

I have the option to buy a '69 T-bird w/429 for $800 with under 80,000 original miles and also know of a 1971 460 for $600 that is supposed to run very well with a C-6 but its not in the car. I also found a 77 460 in a pickup at the junkyard as a rebuildable core for $100. Any suggestions?

Does it really matter what year engine I go with? I don't mind rebuilding the engine and adding different pistons/different year heads etc. I mainly want the car to be fun and smoke my brothers '77 Cutlass with a '70 455 LOL

Thanks in advance.
    Keep in mind that the late model 302 roller engine and trans is a much easier and less costly installation into a 1967 Ranchero, especially if you replace the EFI with a carb and aluminum intake manifold. Mileage will also be better.

The 429/460 engine will require many more initial components for the swap, be a tighter fit, and also you better look at your differential, suspension, brakes, etc, as potential upgrade necessities.

If you are serious about the big block swap, then I suggest buying the 1969 TBird rather than just a core engine. For just $800, it will have something that you can drive until you are ready begin the metamorphasis on the Ranchero, you will be able to see the engine run and determine if it even needs a rebuild or just a valve job, etc., and--most important--you will be purchasing not just the engine but a damn-near endless supply of OEM components that will facilitate the install of a 1969 driveline into a 1967 vehicle. You will not get all those extra nuts and bolts, and odds & ends, with the other engine cores...and you will be downright shocked at how quickly those parts can add up. Keep in mind that the 1969 TBird does not have the famed Ford 9-inch rear end but is a different, weaker differential...still worth the $800 for the car, though.

Also, the 1969 engine has the msot power, highest compression, is ready to run, etc. Since it has a 10.5:1 compression ratio, you will need to run pump gas premium but that can be addressed later when you rebuild. Of course, any 429/460 engine core will do for a 500 hp or less engine but the 1969 gives you room to grow with fewer aftermarket parts required.

Good luck keeping the rear tires from spinning on the big block Ranchero. This will be your biggest issue when racing the Olds.

Lastly, we have early and late style cylinder heads if you need them....460 cranks, too, if you do buy the 429 and want to increase displacememnt sometime later.

Paul
    Last edited by Paul Kane; 01-03-2009 at 10:32 AM.

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Paul. Thank you for your input! I know that the 302 would be a much easier swap, if I install it i will keep the EFI and componets. I removed everything when i parted the car out every wire/sensor the computer etc.

I am pretty stuck on the big block swap. I'm not too concerned with the brakes and suspension. I am going rack and pinion and disc brakes. As far as room I was going to notch the shock towers for some extra clearance and order the Crites installation kit and headers/or have them built locally. Gas mileage isn't of concern my V8 S-10 Blazer gives me about 17 mpg and I'm happy with that. I'd be happy with 8-10. It's what i am use to with the 396-402's and 454s I usually run in 67-72 chevy trucks.

I am not afraid of modifications and spending a few bucks making this work. I want a fun. fast reliable toy that I can drive daily if need be.
    67 Ford Ranchero 500 289 3spd, Factory AC, PS (soon to be 460?)

83 S-10 Blazer 2wd V8 th350

Reply To Thread