Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Timing chain cover front seal placement?

Reply To Thread
    stovens is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 48 Ford F1

Timing chain cover front seal placement?

Last week I was very frustrated with my aftermarket timing cover, because the front seal had a tear in it and it was a flanged seal with a lip that gets pressed in the cover from the inside, whereby the lip catches the edge of the cover to stay in place. Since it is not a stock seal, I couldn't get a replacement for it. So I called summit and ordered a new Summit brand timing chain cover, which arived Monday. It is identical to the Dorman one I had previously purchased, but came with a stock seal with no lip/flange. Now I fell pretty stupid, finding out you can use a stock seal. I figured you needed something to keep the seal from working its way out the front of the crankshaft hole in the timing cover. My stock old cover looked like it had an indentation where the seal seated itself.
    So with this new knowledge I might as well use the Dorman cover with a stock seal(and send the Summit one back-pricey). When putting in the seal, which way do yo place it in the cover. The seal has a rolled lip on one side and just a thin metal edge on the other. Next, what is the bestway to pound it in there(and how far)? Is there a special tool for this? Sorry for all the questions I figured it must be simple since no instructions come with these parts.
    " "No matter where you go, there you are!" Steve.

Anyone? My engine build book is very vague about the cover seal and proper seating.

Ken Thurm is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 4- 32 fords

I wish I could help, but I'm not familiar with ford stuff.
    Ken

No problem, I just went to Napa Auto and a few of the counter guys set me straight! I feel like an idiot sometimes!

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

Seal presses in from the front side on a steel cover. Use a large socket or piece of pipe that is just slightly smaller than the O.D. of the seal to tap the seal in after putting a light film of Permatex Aviation goop around the O.D. of the seal. The open part of the seal (usually with a spring on it) goes to the oily side of the motor. I usually try to place a short length of tubing behind the seal hole that is slightly larger in o.d. than the seal hole to support the sheet metal and not bend it up.
    Last edited by techinspector1; 10-30-2008 at 12:00 PM.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

tech do you mean it presses in from the water pump side or outside? This is exactly oposite of what they told me, but makes more sense since the seal has a beefier rounded edge that would less likely bend. I also was told to push it in until the edge of the seal is flush with the inner edge of the cover.

Tech I missed the cast cover part. So here are photos of the stock cover(can't see hole in it where it is broken) and the Dorman cover with a new seal in it, I made a small dent in the lip of the seal, do you think this is ok? see photos below
    Stock cover

New cover:

techinspector1 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '32 Henway

The seal is always installed by pushing on the solid side of it. You can't be pushing on the open side. Open side goes to the oily side of the motor.
    PLANET EARTH, INSANE ASYLUM FOR THE UNIVERSE.

Reply To Thread