Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Water neck question

Reply To Thread
    stovens is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 48 Ford F1

Water neck question

Stupid question but here it goes
    I am currently not running any heat system in my 48 ford. As I am gathering parts for the 460 big block I've run into several gray areas. I need to purchase a water neck for the long block. All of the chrome versions(i.e. least expensive) have a threaded hole on top. I'm not running a vacuun distributor, or heat system. I take it this hole will work for a heater bypass. So do I run the hose from the water pump to a nipple that screws in here to bypass the heater? What if I buy an expensive swivel aluminum water neck? Am I then stuck with running a heater? Eventually I'd like to buy and heating and cooling system for the 48 ford truck, but not right now. The 12 dollar water neck seems fine. Just wondering what to do with the heater system and the threaded hole in the water neck. Are their bypass tubes that thread into this?
    Here is a picture of the part if it helps. Thanks.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...US242%26sa%3DN
    " "No matter where you go, there you are!" Steve.

NTFDAY is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '66 Mustang, 76 Corvette

I'm not positive, but I think the threaded hole on the top of the water neck is for a temp gauge and I would plug it and I would do the same on the water pump if you're not going to run a heater.
    Ken Thomas
    NoT FaDe AwaY and the music didn't die
    The simplest road is usually the last one sought
    Wild Willie & AA/FA's The greatest show in drag racing

My old engine had a hose that was kinked because of the tight angle that went from the intake to the return on the wter pump completely bypassing the heater core. If the temperature thermostat goes there that's fine. I will be running a full set of guages!
    Last edited by stovens; 10-20-2008 at 05:00 PM.

NTFDAY is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '66 Mustang, 76 Corvette

I just went to Summit and looked at both water pump and intake manifold from Edlebrock for a 460. On the manifold there is a threaded hole right aft of the water neck that is used for the temp gauge. On the water pump there is a threaded hole on the passenger side for the heater hose. I would plug the hole on the water pump and plug the one on the water neck.
    Ken Thomas
    NoT FaDe AwaY and the music didn't die
    The simplest road is usually the last one sought
    Wild Willie & AA/FA's The greatest show in drag racing

R Pope is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Heater circulation is not necessary for engine cooling. Just plug the holes.

IC2
    IC2 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

You can either solder any WP connections with a copper pipe cap (it's probably brass), or yank them out, tap the WP (carefully) with a pipe tap - 1/2" is my recollection, and install a pipe plug. The one on the intake - a brass pipe plug should work. If you choose to yank it out of the WP, you only need a brass pipe nipple from Home Despot for a couple bucks to install a heater hose.

There's a bypass hose between the WP and manifold, just below the water neck - that can't be plugged. And unless you like cussing, install that little SOB of a hose when you install the manifold

On my 5.0, the hole in the water neck has my fan switch sender and the one in the manifold, my temp gauge sender.

(I just found my long lost '79 Ford P/U Engine shop manual and 460's are well featured there)
    Dave W
    I am now gone from this forum for now - finally have pulled the plug

Dave
    Thanks. I think for now I'll just run a small piece of hose between the two heater ports, and plug the goose neck. I figure to put a nice hot rod air/heat system down the line, and will need the ports at that time. I also plan to put a electric fan on eventually, so good to know!

IC2
    IC2 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote Originally Posted by stovens
    Dave
    Thanks. I think for now I'll just run a small piece of hose between the two heater ports, and plug the goose neck. I figure to put a nice hot rod air/heat system down the line, and will need the ports at that time. I also plan to put a electric fan on eventually, so good to know!

Steve - in that case, you can get rubber caps at a good parts store. Just use a couple of worm drive clamps. On a Ford, they should be 5/8"
    Dave W
    I am now gone from this forum for now - finally have pulled the plug

Reply To Thread