Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Engine finally starts, But.................

Reply To Thread
    topgun is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

Engine finally starts, But.................

Well I finally got my engine fired up and ran it at a little over 1500 rpm for the recomended 1/2 hour and it ran fine. During that time I had the pet cock open and a water hose on to maintain cool water for the engine during the run in. I also set the timing and checked the trans. All went well. After the run in I set trhe idle to about 800 rpm and even though I didn't drive it yet I parked the car outside. I started and shut it down a couple of more times and it seemed all was well. Anyway As I stood there with it running I was just taking a couple of minutes to admire my work when suddenly I started to hear a slight ticking noise and the oil light went on. Now, The car has no guage just a light so I could not see the actual oil pressure but the pnmp is like everything in the engine, Brand new. I had also replaced the pump shaft. I have a oil pressure tester at work that I will bring home on Monday But I am wondering what could be going on here. Has anyone here had this occur and what could be the problem other than the pump? I am confident that I had performed the run in properly , Or Have I? Any opinions?

Daffy427 is offline Banned Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: The thing in the avatar

Sounds like it might have spit out a pushrod and launched a lifter..You should be able to tell by pulling the valve covers

I will pull the valve covers tomorrow but I would not think that is what happened because when I started it again there was no ticking but the light was still on

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

What did you use for assembly lube, and did you change the oil after the run in???? Could have gunked up the oil pump pickup screen with assembly lube possibly???????
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

I used moly assembly lube and I have not changed the oil. Should I have?

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

I always dump the oil and filter after the run in. Gets rid of all the assembly lube plus any dirt that was in the oil system when you assembled the engine. I also like to be able to get a good look at the oil after the run in to make sure there's nothing there but oil!!!!! I cut the filter open, too.......
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Henry Rifle is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 34 Ford Low Boy w/ZZ430 Clone

You may just have a sticky lifter. However, I wouldn't run it again without an oil pressure gauge.

I never believed in the running water process during start-up. An engine needs a bit of temperature to break in correctly and run well.

From your other thread, you took quite a bit of time getting it stated - due to the wrong size battery cables, I believe. That can cause cam problems.

Before you start it again, I suggest you pull the valve covers, rotate the engine by hand and see what's going on with the valve train.
    Jack

Gone to Texas

Thanks Dave. I will do that tommorrow. The engine since the moment it fired up even till now run nice and quite.Also the oil is still pretty clear and does not even look dirty is this normal? It's like new oil with a very slight darkness not like what used oil that I am used to seeing, You know, Dark and dirty.

Daffy427 is offline Banned Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: The thing in the avatar

Quote Originally Posted by topgun
    I will pull the valve covers tomorrow but I would not think that is what happened because when I started it again there was no ticking but the light was still on
    If the lifter popped out there will be no ticking and no oil pressure...But there will be a dead miss..

Reply To Thread