Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Some assembly required

Reply To Thread
    stovens is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 48 Ford F1

Some assembly required

As I'm getting ready for my long block arrival eta one week, a million things are coming up as questions. I realized that after selling my old 429, a lot of little parts may be needed. One aspect of engines that has always baffled me is the vacuum system. With my new setup, I was wondering what vacuum lines will be necessary. I know I need one for my brake booster, but I'm going to use a mechanical advance distributer. The intake will be an Edelbrock performer series, with maatching carb. So what other hoses will need to be routed where(1972ish 460 presmog, Dove-C heads)
    The valve covers will also be edelbrock, so are vents ok? or do I need a PCV valve on one side running into the carb.
    Next issue that comes to mind is a harmonic balancer. I have the original off the 429(1971). I have been looking at new ones and come across internal and external balanced? Does this have to do with the balancer itself or the crank shaft that it goes to?
    Lastly(for now ) the truck has no heating system for now, so how do I route the water pump lines?
    Did I mention I'm pretty new to this stuff!
    " "No matter where you go, there you are!" Steve.

Itoldyouso is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '27 ford/'39 dodge/ '23 t

Steve, if you are running few or no accessories, and the engine isn't loaded with a lot of smog stuff, you will have very few hoses. You can use one of the threaded intake vacuum holes for your brake booster, or use the big hole in the rear of the carb. You can tap into any other vacuum source back there for your automatic transmission modulator hose too.

I would put a breather on one valve cover and a pcv hose on the other so you have cross ventilation, otherwise you will have the potential for oil seeping out of the two breathers, if you went only with those.

As for the internal/ external balance question, pre '78 engines were internally balanced and '79 up are externally balanced. If you aren't sure what year you have, there may be some numbers on the edge of one of the crank counterweights. Internally balanced engines start with a "2" ( like 2 Y, etc) Externally balanced will start with a "3", or have maybe no number at all. Also, the spacer between the dampener and timing cover will be different. An internally balanced motor has just a sleeve there, and the external balanced one has a sleeve with a protrusion on it, like a weight.

Don

Thank you Don! So using my original harmonic balancer will be o.k., I'm not sure if I ever saw a hose going to the tranny, but I'll check that out since the tranny is sitting in my shop. The PCV valve vents into the aircleaner? If I use an aftermarket air cleaner, will it have a fitting for this?( I'm thinking of going with a Hilborn style). Also at some point, I guess I need a kick down cable from the carb to the c6, since that also wasn't on there with the original setup when I bought the truck. I'm also contiplating going with a Lokar style gas petal, since my current setup is wonky, and the cable is a bit frayed! Anything special to look for in kickdowns or throttle cables? I'm also going to use a stock cable for the choke, since mine is a manual choke!

Itoldyouso is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '27 ford/'39 dodge/ '23 t

Steve: I'd spring for a new harmonic balancer while you are at it, they will come apart on you from age. I forget if the 460 is rubber bonded like the 302, but I had the one on my 302 come apart on me and the thing shook like mad until I changed it. You can pick up an SFI approved one pretty cheap these days, and it is cheap insurance. While you probably won't be buzzing that 460 at high rpms, you will still be getting on it occasionally, so heavy duty parts always pay off IMO.

One of our resident experts, like Paul Kane might have some different thoughts on it, so maybe he, or some of the others, will see this thread and respond.

As for the aircleaner fitting, if your new one doesn't have it, no problem, just plumb it into any vacuum port on the manifold or back of the carb. You can use Lokars stuff for not only the kickdown but the throttle linkage too. I used their stuff and it is good quality and easy to hook up.

Don

Good advice. Summit has a street performance Harmonic balancer(non SFI) for $129, to get the SFI rating you bump between 159-450. I imagine the Pioneer street performance should do the trick, they do offer a stock oem for $89.00, but the street performance sounds good.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

ted dehaan is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 32ford5w,60fordstarliner,55chevy65corvai

steve on your pcv sys you need a hose from manifold vacuum to the pcv then to the valve cover on the other valve cover through a baffel inside the vc run a hose to the air cleaner this is called a kv tube at wot there is no manifold vacuum so without a kv you will blow oil out the breather the pcv and kv sys help keep the oil clean and helps prevent oil leals just trying to help a little .....ted

Reply To Thread