Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: need a carb for my 429 thuinderjet HELP!

Reply To Thread
    69t-birdchris is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 68 tbird tudor

need a carb for my 429 thuinderjet HELP!

hi guys long time no posts for me lol well im back yet again this time with a 68 tbird not a 69. its got a 429 with c6 tranny which i think is stock . still living all the way over in england lol

the carb packed up on me its been a nightmare working out what the problem was and after looking at fuel pump, filter, points etc vacume stuff, spark plugs, leads, everything, it came down to carb faileur so i want to replace it. i think its the autolite 4300 or similar all original. i want a new carb but a good one as i will tune engine in the future. as its just a thunderjet i dont know what i can and cant do. was looking at triple carbs or something reeeal nice. any ideas remember though getting help around here for one of these engines is pretty hard .

CHEEEERS GUYS

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by 69t-birdchris
    h a 68 tbird not a 69. its got a 429 with c6 tranny which i think is stock .

the carb packed up on me its been a nightmare working out what the problem was and after looking at fuel pump, filter, points etc vacume stuff, spark plugs, leads, everything, it came down to carb faileur so i want to replace it. i think its the autolite 4300 or similar all original. i want a new carb but a good one as i will tune engine in the future. as its just a thunderjet i dont know what i can and cant do. was looking at triple carbs or something reeeal nice.

CHEEEERS GUYS
    Although not original by any means, I think that a Holley 750 cfm would work well on your engine in that T-bird.

A good place for remanufactured Holley carbs at a good price is Lyle Stahle of Stahle Carbuetors, and he may be found here:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZlst...QQfsooZ2QQrdZ0

He has all kinds of carbs (alcohol, blower, etc) so MAKE SURE you are buying the correct carb for your application! Tell him Paul Kane sent you.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

stovens is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 48 Ford F1

I agree with Paul, the 750 Holley was the first thought that came to mind. If you want more economy consider the Edelbrock 1407. Both good carbs, for that old beast! Edelbrock also makes a balanced set that goes with this, that includes a cam with hydrolic lifters, and an aluminum intake manifold. This is the setup I'm going with, but it is mild, and it sounds like you would be happier with the Holley!
    " "No matter where you go, there you are!" Steve.

R Pope is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

I've seldom seen a carb so bad that a rebuild kit wouldn't fix it. Your 4300 is a good street carb, not popular as a performance piece but in good condition it will run as well as anything else and better than most. Changing to a Holley or other aftermarket setup can open a whole can of worms that won't be easily remedied across the Big Ditch without the resources available on this side. Unless you're an experienced, die-hard tinkerer, I'd advise a rebuild or a remanufactured stock carb.

Reply To Thread