Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: need timing set info

Reply To Thread
    68parts is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

need timing set info

replacing the timing cover due to it corodid,gone. im replacing all i can while im in there timing set, water pump, fuel, etc etc. my ? is the timing gears i took off are s-420 for the cam and the crank is s-493. all the sets i find around here at the local parts store are the same for the crank but the crank is a s-421. they both look the same other than the new gear the s-421 is off about 1/2 a toth if i was to put it on. my guess is that the old gear the s-493 is retarted abit. is it worth my time to seekout the 493 or is there much of a differance. gas milage, low end tork, etc etc. this motor is in a large box truck and heavy. kinda shooting for the gas milage. thinking of taking parts back and getting a 3 key set to advance or retart the timing. this new gear i gotten looks as though it will turn the crank clockwise a 1/2 tooth.is this advancing the timing. and what are the efects on power and gas with advancing or retarding.
    Last edited by 68parts; 02-04-2008 at 09:17 PM.

68parts is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

can anyone suggest jetting for the for 460 with a holley 600 vac scondaries. motor seam to be pretty stock.73 heads etc. will a cam change out help on gas also,thinking an r.v. cam and do i have to replace the cam bearing if i change out
    Last edited by 68parts; 02-04-2008 at 09:04 PM.

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

I'd use the straight up gears. Ford used the retarded timing deal as a stop-gap thing to battle the federally mandated emissions standards. The straight up gears should result in improved efficiency...

As for jetting,,,, I've never tried to use that small of a carb on a 460....How do the plugs look now, and what is the engine in, and how is it driven???? Would seem a 600 may have a tendency to lean out a bit with any heavy running with a 460.....
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Reply To Thread