Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460 Help in a 1947 Ford Panel Truck (COOL HEY!)

Reply To Thread
    Huberpcs is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1947 Ford Panel Truck

460 Help in a 1947 Ford Panel Truck (COOL HEY!)

OK, let me start by stating, I am not a Ford guy and I am definitely not a pro engine mechanic, but here is my problem. I recently purchased a project from someone, a 1947 Ford Panel Truck, with what I was told was a Ford 460 Crate motor already in, but the project was not complete. I had to add a March Performance pully kit so I could get the power steering pump in enough so it would not hit the inner fender. Now with that complete, the Vintage air compressor will fit right on top.

My problem is that I do not believe it is a true Crate Motor brand new from anywhere. The engine is already painted a machine grey color but you can see where some of the stock type brackets were located and there is rust forming in those places. I do believe he had the motor rebuilt but I am pretty sure it is not brand new.

Having said all of that, I have done some research and the 460 was produced for a long time. Running regular leaded fuel and unleaded fuel.

So, here are some of my questions:

1) IS THERE ANY WAY TO TELL WHICH FUEL TO RUN FROM THE CAST NUMBERS ON THE HEAD OR AT LEAST AROUND WHAT YEAR THE MOTOR WAS ASSEMBLED?

2) I READ SOMEWHERE THAT THE 460 HAD A THERMOSTAT HOUSING THAT WAS STRAIGHT UP AND THAT IS HOW YOU CAN TELL THE MOTOR FROM A 429. MINE IS AT A 90* BUT IS AN AFTERMARKET HOUSING. ARE THESE UNIVERSAL?

3) THE ORIGINAL OWNER PUT AN EDLEBROCK PERFORMER INTAKE MANIFOLD ON THE 460 BUT THIS IS WHERE IT GETS STRANGE. HE PUT AN EDLEBROCK 1405 600CFM CARB ON IT. WILL THIS STARVE MY ENGINE? I AM NOT LOOKIN TO RACE WITH THIS TRUCK,A LITTLE TIRE SMOKE EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE WOULD BE NICE, BUT WANT IT TO BE A GOOD CRUISER AT THE SAME TIME. EDLEBROCK RECOMMENDS A 750CFM FOR THE 460. WILL I KILL MY ENGINE IF I RUN THE 600CFM CARB?

I do not have the numbers off the head yet but I will get them today.
    HERE THEY ARE ok...here is what I have on the engine.

On the heads----------D3VE A2A

On the block I found several numbers on the pass side front as follows---58847 and 78H317

I found a tag on the c6 tranny, might help if motor and trans were out of the same vehicle? ---PJD AN4 P14
    D8VP B 07168

Hope this helps.....

Here are some details on the truck.
    1947 Ford Panel Truck, 1979 Pacer front stub with Rack and pinion steering, lowered 8in in front, suicide doors, everything shaved, custom stainless grille, power windows, vintage air, tilt column, swivel bucket seats, c6 trans, ford 9in rear narrowed, Rear frame c-notched and dropped 6in, Disc brakes in rear (1984 caddy calipers and lincoln rotors), Cragers and a whole lot more.
    The truck is not complete yet but I am hoping by spring to have her in the road, this is why I need the help.

I do not want to kill the motor!
    Please help, and yes I will sell it for the right money!
    (A LOT OF MONEY) ha ha

thanks and I hope you can help!
    John
    Last edited by Huberpcs; 01-29-2008 at 08:03 PM.

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Hard to say without casting numbers and date codes off the heads and block.... Then it's still nothing but a guess without knowing what pieces were used in the engine, what the compression ratio is, what cam it has and other pertinent data..... Might be best to take it apart and see what REALLY is inside!!!!!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

stovens is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 48 Ford F1

John read my thread project special k! I have almost the same set up and issues. What I can tell you is Edelbrock recogmends the 1407 performer carb for that manifold. I got on e fairly new off ebay for about 100.00. They are matched to perform best together, they also make a cam kit to go with it! I think you'll get plenty of power with that combo and maybe some headers, Sanderson makes a set for a 460 for 48 fords, may work for you. These guys here are a big help, you might also try 460ford.com and ford truck enthusiasts forums where I will be willing to bet there are several guys doing exactly what your doing. Good luck! Post some pictures when you can, Steve.
    " "No matter where you go, there you are!" Steve.

PS how does it run right now with the current engine?

TedIII is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 67cougar 70caddy deville 06 HD RKC

>460 Help in a 1947 Ford Panel Truck (COOL HEY!)
    OK, let me start by stating, I am not a Ford guy <

You are now officially a Ford Man Now! Welcome!!!
    http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e44/tzamk2/

67 cougar burn rubber not your soul!

I got the numbers!

Thanx for the replys so far...that was quick!

ok...here is what I have on the engine.

On the block I found several numbers on the pass side front as follows---58847 and 78H317

I found a tag on the c6 tranny, might help if motor and trans were out of the same vehicle? ---PJD AN4 P14
    D8VP B 07168

Hope this helps.....

Hey Stovens...I have not run the motor yet...the truck is still in pieces.....can you do me a favor on those headers.....take a picture from the top and the bottom and send them to me........my stock manifolds are really close to the frame and I am not sure headers will work. Also my steering may be in the way. As far as the Ford460.com I am still waiting for my e-mail so I can use the site....Thanx everyone...I am gonna work on the picture....

Quote Originally Posted by Huberpcs
    As far as the Ford460.com I am still waiting for my e-mail so I can use the site....Thanx everyone...I am gonna work on the picture....
    They never emailed me back but after a month I was able to get on with my login and password. Kind of frustrating.
    Another member here, Dagored, has loaded a few shots of them. I still have my stock exhaust manifolds, so no photos to share. Search for this thread , " Sanderson custom headers",here http://www.clubhotrod.com/forums/sho...r-service.html

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Huberpcs
    My problem is that I do not believe it is a true Crate Motor brand new from anywhere. The engine is already painted a machine grey color but you can see where some of the stock type brackets were located and there is rust forming in those places.

1) IS THERE ANY WAY TO TELL WHICH FUEL TO RUN FROM THE CAST NUMBERS ON THE HEAD OR AT LEAST AROUND WHAT YEAR THE MOTOR WAS ASSEMBLED?

2) I READ SOMEWHERE THAT THE 460 HAD A THERMOSTAT HOUSING THAT WAS STRAIGHT UP AND THAT IS HOW YOU CAN TELL THE MOTOR FROM A 429. MINE IS AT A 90* BUT IS AN AFTERMARKET HOUSING. ARE THESE UNIVERSAL?

3) THE ORIGINAL OWNER PUT AN EDLEBROCK PERFORMER INTAKE MANIFOLD ON THE 460 BUT THIS IS WHERE IT GETS STRANGE. HE PUT AN EDLEBROCK 1405 600CFM CARB ON IT. WILL THIS STARVE MY ENGINE? I AM NOT LOOKIN TO RACE WITH THIS TRUCK,A LITTLE TIRE SMOKE EVERY ONCE IN A WHILE WOULD BE NICE, BUT WANT IT TO BE A GOOD CRUISER AT THE SAME TIME. EDLEBROCK RECOMMENDS A 750CFM FOR THE 460. WILL I KILL MY ENGINE IF I RUN THE 600CFM CARB?

Hope this helps.....
    John
    John,

I don't know of any factory Ford crate motors that came with D3VE heads, short of the marine applicable 460's that Ford offered in the 1970's-1980's. There are plenty of rebuilder 460 motors out there other than Ford crate motors, though.

D3VE heads are typically 96-97cc's in the combustion chamber and with flat top pistons, c/r is usually around 9.25:1. However, no rebuilders that I know of use flat tops because of todays low octane fuel. Usually, the standard rebuilder piston used is a 24cc dished piston that puts c/r at a dismal 8:1 with the D3VE heads.

I think the engine would produce greater power with a larger carburetor than the Eldelbrock 600. In 1974, the 460 came with an Edelbrock (Carter, bought by Edelbrock) carb that was 800 (or so) cfm. The Edelbrock carb will allow decent fuel economy and run well; a Holley 750 (or even 850) will make a lot more power than the Edelbrock and have better tunability, but it will provide less fuel mileage. Personally, I would replace the current carb with a Holley if you want the "tire smokey."

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

thnx but need more?

Just want to say thanx to everone for the replys, but I am still kind of lost. I think I need to keep the 600cfm carb on for ther first year, will I starve my engine and kill it? My first year of driving will be mild to work out all of the bugs in the truck. If there is no problem with that, I will keep it on for now. I am not an engine guy so the compression and all that stuff does not help me. If I have a compression test done on the engine will this help me in determining if I can use unleaded gas or not? I have a buddy that can do that for me.

I am looking into a new carb but the cost is not in my budget right at this time, besides, I would like it to have the auto choke on it and mine is a manual 600cfm. Any one have a larger carb with an auto choke they wanna trade?

Just let me know , any help is good help!

thanx, John
    I may not know what I am doing but it sure looks good, I took the little bus to school!

John
    I was reading this link on another forum. This guy is using the same carb as you. Also talks about d3ve heads.
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/15...d-of-dove.html
    I have never heard about riuning your engine with an underpower carb. Alot of people went to smaller carbs during the 70's gas crisis! As for the unleaded vs. leaded issue, some of the guys with more experience will have to answer! My engine is a 71, and is running on unleaded! Steve.

Steve....your the BOMB!

Steve......I dont know what I would do without you. Too bad your not a chick, but my wife would not like that. I just have to say you have helped me a ton. I have read a lot of threads and most of all, the ones you have sent me. I am pretty confident that I will not KILL the 460 with the 600cfm carb now with your help. I am working on looking for the edelbrock Thunder 800cfm carb #1813-(4)<--the shiney one, at a good price but I will probably do the start up with the 600cfm. I hope I will find a new carb at our swap meets this spring Like in Jefferson WI but I still have to wire the whole truck, build a custom fule tank and finish the floor and exhaust.

oh Steve, do you have a fuel tank for your truck?
    I have a BRAND NEW Rock Valley stainless steel fuel tank that may work for your truck. I believe it will work for your 1948 but it was built for my 1947. The tank is located on the driver side inbetween the frame rails and I even have the original mounts for the tank and the straps.

I am going to build a custom tank in the back and fill behind the plate. My truck is too low to the ground to run the dual exhaust around the tank cause it takes up the whole area, I believe it is a 16 or 18 gallon tank. If you are interested I can send you some pictures and a price,,,,,,cheep! I am located in Wisconsin. If you are even slightly interested I can hold off but I was going to put it on ebay next month.
    And again...thanx everyone!
    John
    I may not know what I am doing but it sure looks good, I took the little bus to school!

Here's ashot of the my current setup that camee with the truck. It is one of the issues I have to tackle as well. Yeah I'd love to see some shots and may be interested if I can fit it in the back. Not the best pic, but you get the drift.

How much did you want for the gas tank?

I dont think the tank will work for yours Steve. It looks like the tank for your truck is behind the seat? Mine fits inbetween the frame rails under the floor running from under the seat, all the way to the rear end. My fill hole is on the driver side. Yours looks like it is on the pass side. Sorry to get your hopes up.....you could modify it to fit. I will get you some pictures this weekend.

Thanx again.
    John

Geez....I just looked again......2 tanks? The one in the bed of your truck is what I am looking into doing. I see the original tank looks like it was behind the seat. I think Rock Valley makes a replacement tank for your truck in stainless and regular steel. I will check it out. But I still dont think mine will work for you.
    John

Reply To Thread