Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460FRPP into 1972 Mach I?? Difficult?

Reply To Thread
    ed armstrong is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

460FRPP into 1972 Mach I?? Difficult?

Hi Folks, just 2 questions (help needed)

1) I plan to install a new FRPP 460 SCJ into a 1971-1973 302-351 Mach I. Being as some 1971's came with 429's, to me this is an easy, drop in swap. Then I saw all the kits needed to do this. Now it seems more difficult. Anybody have experience with this, and any recommendations on which swap kit to buy, Crites, etc??? If it's that difficult, I would just as soon swap into a 1969 Mach I, but I know those may need shock tower mods., etc., and it may be much more difficult?? Any info. greatly appreciated!!!!!!

2) Also, Jon Kaase dynoed a new 514 with his new SCJ heads. Before the addition of the heads, it dynoed at 645 HP, because Ford underrates them form the factory (factory rated at 600HP). With his heads on it, it went from 646 HP to 700. I was wondering what the true dyno numbers on the underrated 460 "535" hp crate motor is. Calculating from what the true 514 number is, I'm guessing more like 572HP, then plus the new heads at another 50 HP or so totalling out at approx" 622HP? Anybody agree?? The only difference in the new SCJ heads (heads only) from the 460 to the 514 is the hydraulic springs vs. the roller springs. Shouldn't the 460 pick up the same 55 HP or so as the 514??

Thanks a lot!
    Ed

junkyardjeff is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 37 chevy p/u 55 ford convertable

Since 71-3 came with 429s I would think all you would need is the correct motor mounts and maybe the trans crossmember,heavier front springs and definately a bigger radiator. Check in Hemmings motor news for mustang vendors,someone should have whay you need. Jeff

ed armstrong is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

460 bolt in

Hey Jeff and Bill, thanks a lot for the responses. Yes Bill, I sent you a message requesting your email to ask several questions on this if you wouldn't mind, looking forward to contacting you.

Yeah, I'll definitely go with a new radiator and springs. Gonna install the new FRPP 460 SCJ, should be around 630 HP with a stout C6. No racing or slicks, so not too, too concerned with hooking up, but don't want to break anything either. There should be enough room under the hood and will need another drive shaft as well. Didn't know if I should bother with buying the CRites or others swap kits. I think just the mounts for now????

Thanks Ed

Reply To Thread