Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 water pump

Reply To Thread
    mrc013 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 64 Galaxie Convertible

Talking 429 water pump

I am in the process of buying a hi volume water pump for my 69 429. PAW doesn't list anything pre 1970. Is there something different on these pumps, from 69 to 70? Does anyone make an aluminum pump? All I can find is cast iron.

Itoldyouso is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '27 ford/'39 dodge/ '23 t

I find PAW's information hard to understand sometimes, it isn't real accurate or clear IMO. Summit shows 68 up being the same:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...115&autoview=s

Click on "check to make sure this fits your application".

My understanding is that the water pumps are all the same from 68 on.

Don

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mrc013
    I am in the process of buying a hi volume water pump for my 69 429. PAW doesn't list anything pre 1970. Is there something different on these pumps, from 69 to 70? Does anyone make an aluminum pump? All I can find is cast iron.
    Edelbrock, Weiand, and Ford Racing all make aluminum waterpumps.

The 1968 and 1969 460 water pumps are different than 429 waterpumps, so be sure to get a 429 waterpump if you must give the year of the engine/vehicle when ordering.

Paul

p.s.: Your requested cylinder head portwork will require some lead time, so please plan for it.
    Last edited by Paul Kane; 10-10-2007 at 09:44 AM.

429/460 Engine Fanatic

mrc013 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 64 Galaxie Convertible

Thanks, Paul. All my speed catalog sources only list water pumps after 1970. You say that they are different. In what way ?
    My engine/installed situation , pulleys, radiator inlets, and belt configuration is based on the 429 pump. If the 429 pump is not available in a hi vulume unit, will I have to switch to a 460 pump?

Itoldyouso is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '27 ford/'39 dodge/ '23 t

If the 429 pump is not available in a hi vulume unit, will I have to switch to a 460 pump?

If you read this link I posted, it IS for a 429, and it IS high volume.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...115&autoview=s

Here is the application page for it:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...124+4294925082

Don

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Thanks, Paul. All my speed catalog sources only list water pumps after 1970. You say that they are different. In what way ?
    The 1968 & 1969 460's came in Lincoln Continentals only, and these 460's had a gear-driven power steering pump mounted directly on the crankshaft...right up against the timing cover. Then, the harmonic balancer had the fan belt pulleys machined right into the OD of the balancer (no pulley bolted to the balancer). And so the 1968-1969 460 waterpumps have a shorter impeller shaft so as to be closer to the engine and align its waterpump pulleys with the belt pulleys that are integrated into the harmonic balancer. Those 1968-1969 460 "short shaft" waterpumps are hard to find these days, as are rebuild kits for the gear-driven power steering pumps. Even the timing cover is different, and guys restoring 1968/1969 Lincolns pay big bux for them.

But 1968 & 1969 429's are like any other 429 year and the 1970 & up 460's, in that the power steering pump is a belt-driven accessory and the crank pulley bolts in front of the harmonic balancer.

My engine/installed situation, pulleys, radiator inlets, and belt configuration is based on the 429 pump. If the 429 pump is not available in a hi vulume unit, will I have to switch to a 460 pump?
    The original 429 & 460 pumps are the same assuming 1970 & up, and the 1968 & 1969 429 waterpumps are the same as the aforementioned. Only the 1968-1969 460 waterpumps are different...in the Lincolns.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Reply To Thread