Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: Need a little 460 advise

Reply To Thread
    highlander1s is offline Registered User Visit my Photo Gallery

Need a little 460 advise

This looks like a very informative forum and I have a few questions before getting a 460 built. Firstly the engine is going in a 74 Bronco, 456 gearing, C-6 trans.with a 3000 high stall torque converter and shift kit. Summers axles and beefed u-joints. Maybe some Nitrous in the future. This truck will just be a streetable weekend driver for car shows and an occational 4x4 mud drag. And definately want the chevy truck guys to see the tail lights sat nights. I just want a very strong running 460.

I'm not going with alum heads, just the standard D3 type thats been ported and polished. The engine is a D1VE but not sure of the exact year. The heads are from a 1973 Mercury 429. I guess the main question is what type of cam should I use. I was leaning toward the Comp XE284H but not sure if there will be any valve clearance problems. Can roller lifters be used here? I can also go with different pistons if I need to. Not real sure what the CR is.

What year timing chain and gear should be used, I've heard use the early one but how early?? pre-70? I guess this is it for now so, I thank you guys!

48fordnut is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

your block is a 71,D=70s. the timing set to use is a multi key way, as the 429/460 used a retarded gear set to meet emissions.. I would use a flat tappet cam myself .several yrs ago HRMagazine had a real good artical on building the 460. made 500 hp. I had a similiar eng in a van, less cam, and used it for towing. it went 9.30 ,in the 1/8 mi, 6000 lbs with a 600 holley and the stock intake. very durable eng.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by highlander1s
    This looks like a very informative forum and I have a few questions before getting a 460 built. Firstly the engine is going in a 74 Bronco, 456 gearing, C-6 trans.with a 3000 high stall torque converter and shift kit. Summers axles and beefed u-joints. Maybe some Nitrous in the future. This truck will just be a streetable weekend driver for car shows and an occational 4x4 mud drag. And definately want the chevy truck guys to see the tail lights sat nights. I just want a very strong running 460.

I'm not going with alum heads, just the standard D3 type that's been ported and polished. The engine is a D1VE but not sure of the exact year. The heads are from a 1973 Mercury 429. I guess the main question is what type of cam should I use. I was leaning toward the Comp XE284H but not sure if there will be any valve clearance problems. Can roller lifters be used here? I can also go with different pistons if I need to. Not real sure what the CR is.

What year timing chain and gear should be used, I've heard use the early one but how early?? pre-70? I guess this is it for now so, I thank you guys!
    Get forged pistons now (due to the nitrous). The D3VE heads and flat top pistons will put you at about 9.5:1 compression ratio, a little more if you zero-deck the block (recommended).

The XE284 is a bit much cam for the stock D3VE valve train. Go with the XE274 at most, and with the right associated hardware (valve springs, hardened pushrods, etc). Check that the stamped steel rocker don't run out of room at the pedestal during max lift with that cam. The D3VE heads MUST be ported on the exhaust side so as to improve the flow characteristics and allow this engine to breath well above 4500 rpm preferrably work the intake bowls too.

A double roller timing chain with a 3-position keyed crank gear installed straight up is what you need. An agressive advancing distrbutor, Weiand Stealth # 8012 and a Holley 850 double pumpper (#4781) and headers will put you at perhaps 450HP.

If you intend on nitrous, a connecting rod upgrade is mandatory along with the forged pistons.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Reply To Thread