Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460-429

Reply To Thread
    FordManMike is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1977 Ford Pickup

Smile 460-429

Hows it going everyone? Im new to this fourm and i have a 460 Block i would like to rebuild and make it in to a 429 to get some more rpms for racing. I race at pismo Dunes so its all sand for my truck and i was woundering what you guys thinking about me go with the 429 over the 460. my buddy had a 460 and a 429 and he says he recomends the 429 over the 460 build for race beacuse of the RPM'S. I would like your guys input in what i should do with the 460 block i knwo i dont want to stroke it so im staying with the 429 or 460. Im hoping you guys could point me out to a good website where they have kits to de-stroke my motor and point me out for a good build. The truck is going to be a weekend truck so im going to mob some dunes race and drive in on the weekdays here and there i was thiking some where around 500hp but like i said i willing he see what everyone has to say about it. Im sure this came up alot on this fourm but i really need help. one last thing my friend said the 429 is the same block as the 460 and i want to make sure if thats true.
    Thanks
    Mike

shoprat is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 57 RANCHERO

It,s the same, just stroke and pin height diff. I run a 429 and like it.
    I use the early 70 heads cam, intake, and headers andit runs quite good.

shawnlee28 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 c 10 fleetside longbed

429-460 same block /different crank stroke on them.
    Sounds like your buddy does not want you going faster than him
    Do you hill climb /sand drag/ jump?
    Itended use will make all the difference in what to shoot for on the engine.
    Its gunna take longer than u thought and its gunna cost more too(plan ahead!)

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FordManMike
    The truck is going to be a weekend truck so im going to mob some dunes race and drive in on the weekdays here and there i was thiking some where around 500hp but like i said i willing he see what everyone has to say about it. Im sure this came up alot on this fourm but i really need help. one last thing my friend said the 429 is the same block as the 460 and i want to make sure if thats true.
    Thanks
    Mike
    Mike,

Everything is the same between the engines except the cranksaft and pistons.

Do you want to rev to more than 7000 rpms? A 429's stroke is only 3.59", while a 460's is still only a mere 3.85". The 460 can be built to rev as well, but why the need for high rpms? More $$$ will have to be invested in valve train, lighter parts for the rotating assembly, engine will require more frequent service/preventative maintenance...and likely won't last as long. Also, forged 429 piston selection is very limited while 460 pistons are literally everywhere.

Finally, with the big 5-9 psi tires in the sand dunes I'd think you'd want both rpm and torque.

500 hp is easy with the factory 460 parts and would still be quite streetable (to and from Pismo beach), while 500 hp from a 429 makes for a rather obnoxious street driven vehicle.

Either way (429 or 460) can be done with the stock parts no problem, so why give up 31 free cubes and the broader (usable) power range? I know truck pullers that rev their 460's to 7500 rpm or more...you just need to know how to build these engines/know the proper combinations.

I'm in the San Francisco bay area and might be able to help...have tons of 429/460 parts...blocks, heads, crans, porting knowledge, good combos, etc.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

I want to start by saying thanks for the replys everyone its helped and heres a little more info. Im going to be racing up comp hill mostly then climbing random dunes basicly what ever is in the way.as far as my friend gose he will always be faster then me he has a build 429 super cobra jet with dual 660 carbs so im not warred about beatting him i just want to slap on all my friends with chevy that give me shit for being a ford guy or give them a run for there money at least. I would like the motor to rev up pretty good so thats why im saying 429 and the comp hill over here is pretty dam small so i think the rpms will help me get to faster speeds befor the end of our little comp hill and on big weekends might run paddles idk yet got to see how the motor comes out. after all that info what do you guys think 429 or 460
    thanks
    Mike

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

I've never done any sand racing, but IMO it would seem the quicker and higher revs of the 429 would be a definite asset.... Would seem the bigger torque numbers of the 460 would only tend to put the tires in the spin mode and limit the traction. Both are great engines, on either good heads and valve train bring the biggest power increase!
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

429 boss?

i do have one another question 429 boss is that just a 429 with hemi heads are is that a spical breed of motors diffrent block, diffrent heads, pistons, crank... and are those some kinda of special heads are can you get them anywhere. while we are talking about 429's and 460's i figuared i could just throw it out there. trying to learn all i can about ford big block and make use when i build a motor its the motor i want
    Thanks
    Mike

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by FordManMike
    i do have one another question 429 boss is that just a 429 with hemi heads are is that a spical breed of motors diffrent block, diffrent heads, pistons, crank... and are those some kinda of special heads are can you get them anywhere. while we are talking about 429's and 460's i figuared i could just throw it out there. trying to learn all i can about ford big block and make use when i build a motor its the motor i want
    Thanks
    Mike
    A Boss 429 uses differnt carb, different intake manifold, different heads, different pistons, different rods, different crankshaft, different block, etc. Still based on the 385 Series (370/429/460) engine family, but a different deal altogether, too. And it's pricey.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Alright thanks for the info everyone its really been helpful.

Reply To Thread