Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460 with D0VE heads what do I need?

Reply To Thread
    67460Galaxie is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

460 with D0VE heads what do I need?

First time posting. New to the Forum and New to the 460 world. I have a few questions. I bought a Good set of D0VE-C heads for my 460. These need the screw in studs, rocker arms and push rods too. What do I ask for at the auto parts sotre? (what year and size motor?) everything is stock, I will be putting in a mild cam nothing big. just something with a little lope to it. All opinions welcome. Very Nice site here and GOOD FORUM!!
    Thanks! Doug

I all ready know I want to use them I just wanted to be able to go to the parts store and get what I need. I have read I can use BB Chevy roker arms and studs but I do not know what Push Rods to get. is any of this true?
    Thanks for the reply and links DW

Also I dont need to get roller rockers if I dont have to

Thats where i am confused.My rocker arms on the heads I have now(on the Car) dont work They are Non-Adjustable And my new heads are stud type, so I will need adjustable rocker arms and studs. What engine (size,year) do I get them for? And will my push-Rods be the same? Sorry to sound so dumb about this,but I just want to get the right stuff the first time

erik erikson is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: BLOWN 540 57 CHEVY

Quote Originally Posted by 67460Galaxie
    Thats where i am confused.My rocker arms on the heads I have now(on the Car) dont work They are Non-Adjustable And my new heads are stud type, so I will need adjustable rocker arms and studs. What engine (size,year) do I get them for? And will my push-Rods be the same? Sorry to sound so dumb about this,but I just want to get the right stuff the first time
    If you want to save a few bucks just order the big block Chevy mark IV 1.7 ratio roller rockers.
    They work great and cost less.
    You will need to buy a "push-rod length checking tool to pick the right length push rods.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by 67460Galaxie
    Thats where i am confused.My rocker arms on the heads I have now (on the Car) dont work. They are Non-Adjustable And my new heads are stud type, so I will need adjustable rocker arms and studs. What engine (size,year) do I get them for? And will my push-Rods be the same? Sorry to sound so dumb about this,but I just want to get the right stuff the first time
    The stamped steel pedestal-type rockers are what came on your D3VE-A2A heads. You are correct that they will not fit your D0VE heads, as your D0VE heads have an altogether different valve train setup, specifically they have a stud mount rocker system and not a pedestal mount rocker system. By the way, the early style valve train rocker system is also non-adjustable, just like your stamped steel rockers on your D3VE heads.

Most any auto parts store should be able to order for you the parts you need, which is all the valve train parts for a 1968, 1969 or 1970 Lincoln Continental with a 460 cubic inch engine (7.5 litre). The 8.55" length pushrods from the D3VE heads ought to work with the 1968-1970 oem valve train. You will need oem style positive stop rocker studs, oem-style 1968-1970 rockers, the oem-style half-sphered fulcrums and the oem-style locknuts. Tell the guy behind the counter that you think the parts are still available from Pioneer.

The irony here is that by the time you $pend money needed to get all those parts, you are very well on your way to a roller rocker valve train, which is a far superior setup and offers you much more room to grow. Please note that, 1) your roller rocker valve train may not fit under your oem stamped steel valve covers, and, 2) you cannot know which pushrod length to choose for your roller rocker valve train until you evaluate valve train geometry with the specific brand roller rocker that you purchase.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Very Good information Guys and thank you!. Paul, if I am right about there Money wise for the rollor set up dose any one make a kit I can just order to get what I need? I might as well do it now while I am in there. I dont need top shelf stuff. The car wont be running down any track. I just want something good and stought with a nice sounding lope and pep when I take the wife out on Saturday nights...And to show the kids Old School Horse Power sounds much better then any Ricer with those "Fart Can" mufflers
    Thanks in advance.
    Doug

Reply To Thread