Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 429 ponys

Reply To Thread
    fordguy33 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

429 ponys

hi guys new member here i have a question for ya all i am building a mud truck it is a 77 scout and i ran into a 429 for $200 for the block ,crank,heads good deal?? i think so he also has a 289 for 125 just the block. what do ya suggest is the best for mud running the truck will have to have the whole drive train flopped over but thats ok i am willing to do so i am a die hard ford man and i want my truck to have lots of balls!!! the 345 motor in it is only 190 ponys and is 700lbs and only revs 3800rpm at its peak what should i do guys???

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Well, the big blocks will produce huge amounts of torque. Physically a lot bigger so the fitting will have it's challenges, but if torque is the consideration then a big block is the only way to go!!!

Welcome to CHR, sounds like a fun project, keep us updated on your progress.
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

mooneye777 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 1948 ford anglia

a 429 is IMO a better choice for a mud truck. twice the torque of the small block, torque is where it is at for mud and backwoods messing around. 429, 429, 429!!!!!!!!

Live everyday like it were your last, someday it will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Severson
    Well, the big blocks will produce huge amounts of torque. Physically a lot bigger so the fitting will have it's challenges, but if torque is the consideration then a big block is the only way to go!!!

Welcome to CHR, sounds like a fun project, keep us updated on your progress.
    ya i will thanks for the feed back. 429 all the way i guess that will make that little scout scream!!!

shawnlee28 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 66 c 10 fleetside longbed

For about 1500 bucks,you can turn the 429 into a 545 ,with a crank rods and pistons.........
    Its gunna take longer than u thought and its gunna cost more too(plan ahead!)

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fordguy33
    hi guys new member here i have a question for ya all i am building a mud truck it is a 77 scout and i ran into a 429 for $200 for the block ,crank,heads good deal?? i think so he also has a 289 for 125 just the block. what do ya suggest is the best for mud running the truck will have to have the whole drive train flopped over but thats ok i am willing to do so i am a die hard ford man and i want my truck to have lots of balls!!! the 345 motor in it is only 190 ponys and is 700lbs and only revs 3800rpm at its peak what should i do guys???
    • What is the year of the 429? If it is a 1972 or 1973, then you would have a rather powerless engine unless you rebuilt iot with heads and/or pistons (depending on specific year). Get the casting numbers of the heads and report back. They are located on the OUTSIDE of the head, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust port. Should be something like C9VE-A, or D0VE-C, or D2VE-AA, or D3VE-A2A, etc.n Once that info is provided, your options can be more closely specified.
    • How does a 1977 Scout compare to a 1968 Scout? I ask because my business partner recently installed a 460 into a 1968 International Scout, and what a HUGE job that was. He basically had to refabricate most of the firewall rearward so that the engine would fit, re-hang the pedals to the side, and then the transfer case driveshaft is on the wrong side of the powertrain because the Scout front diff gears are on the other side of the powertrain. Maybe this has changed between 1968 to 1977 models...but maybe not.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

well i dont no the year yet but i am running into the same problem the drive train is set up like a chevy so the front pig is on the other side than ford that sucks!!!SO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD but if there is a will there is a way i could change the front end i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Kane
    • What is the year of the 429? If it is a 1972 or 1973, then you would have a rather powerless engine unless you rebuilt iot with heads and/or pistons (depending on specific year). Get the casting numbers of the heads and report back. They are located on the OUTSIDE of the head, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust port. Should be something like C9VE-A, or D0VE-C, or D2VE-AA, or D3VE-A2A, etc.n Once that info is provided, your options can be more closely specified.
    • How does a 1977 Scout compare to a 1968 Scout? I ask because my business partner recently installed a 460 into a 1968 International Scout, and what a HUGE job that was. He basically had to refabricate most of the firewall rearward so that the engine would fit, re-hang the pedals to the side, and then the transfer case driveshaft is on the wrong side of the powertrain because the Scout front diff gears are on the other side of the powertrain. Maybe this has changed between 1968 to 1977 models...but maybe not.

Paul
    what are the power years

well i dont no the year yet but i am running into the same problem the drive train is set up like a chevy so the front pig is on the other side than ford that sucks!!!SO BACK TO THE DRAWING BOARD but if there is a will there is a way i could change the front end i guess
    Just put the Ford-style running gear in, all the way to the axles.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

what are the power years?
    Most any 429/460 can be made powerful, thanks to the immense parts interchange between the years. In order to find out how to get power from your engine, we need to know a little more about it. Get the casting numbers of the heads. The casting numbers are located on the OUTSIDE of the head, along the valve cover mounting rail and between the 3rd and 4th exhaust port. Should be something like C9VE-A, or D0VE-C, or D2VE-AA, or D3VE-A2A, etc.

Once that info is provided, your options can be more closely specified.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Reply To Thread