Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 460 from a truck?

Reply To Thread
    peteyx is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '74 Ranchero 429/C6

460 from a truck?

I can get a 460 out of a 1975 F350. It is in good condition, with low miles. Can this be made into something nice (and inexpensively) to put in my '74 Ranchero, or should I be looking for a car motor? I think the difference is just in the pistons, but with a mild cam, 750cfm edelbrock and headers where would I be power/torque-wise?

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by peteyx
    I can get a 460 out of a 1975 F350. It is in good condition, with low miles. Can this be made into something nice (and inexpensively) to put in my '74 Ranchero, or should I be looking for a car motor? I think the difference is just in the pistons, but with a mild cam, 750cfm edelbrock and headers where would I be power/torque-wise?
    What you have available to you is the common carbureted 460, spec'd essentially the same from 1973-1986, the primary exception being 1979-up is externally balanced and 1978-earlier is internally balanced.

With your addition of a mild cam and non-retarded double roller timing chain, 750 carb and headers, you will be barely north of a realistic 350HP. Usable street power will be quite good, and I bet the Ranchero will smoke the tires all day long.

Should you want more power than that: two factors will be keeping the power restricted, namely the 7.9:1 compression ratio and the restrictive exhaust flow on the cylinder heads. You may port the heads and install flat top pistons and be over 400HP...with the potential for much more with a cam change. Or, you may swap out the heads for early style higher comrpession heads so that compression goes up without taking the shortblock apart. These suggestions assume you are hoping for way more horsepower than 350+.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

peteyx is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '74 Ranchero 429/C6

Thanks Paul, just the type of info I am looking for. As it happens, I do have a set of '69 heads (C9VE) from a 429 that I was going to use, and a set of D3VE heads as well. The '69 heads would probably need to be redone.

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by peteyx
    Thanks Paul, just the type of info I am looking for. As it happens, I do have a set of '69 heads (C9VE) from a 429 that I was going to use, and a set of D3VE heads as well. The '69 heads would probably need to be redone.
    The 1974 460 already has D3VE heads. The 460's D3VE headed valve train will not transfer to the C9VE heads. You will need the complete C9VE valve train or will need to convert to a roller rocker valve train. Also, it would be a worthwhile to port the C9VE's before they go onto the engine.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Reply To Thread