Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: thinking about building a 429/460

Reply To Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Quote Originally Posted by mrc013
    Did you do anything special to the valve train? Rockers, studs, push rods, ect?
    Yes, roller rockers, guideplates and hardened pushrods, steel retaiers with 10* locks, stainless valves, etc. The OEM valve train that comes with the C9VE heads cannot accomodate a camshaft of that specification.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

Paul Kane is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: Southwind Jet Boat & Dimarco Hydro

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by mrc013
    Paul, Wher would be the best place to purchase a 514 stroker set up? Is this the engine that you recomend building? Next up, detailed machine work on the heads/port work. Cost?
    Contact Brian Adams at AD Performance. His prices are competetive and his parts are high quality and not the cheaper stuff (too many headaches with the lesser budget parts). He selss Eagle and SCAT sroker kits and they can be fit with many different brands of pistons.

Email: scatstroker@hotmail.com

Tell him Paul Kane sent you.

In regards to the heads, "at least 550HP" with the 501 combo noted on page 2 assumes well prepped cylinder heads. As-cast C9VE's wont do the trick and will require porting, as the factory iron heads are plagued with a dismal flowing exhaust port. Proper porting of the factory iron transforms the oem iron head capability a la Jeckyl and Hyde. I know of castings like yours supporting in excess of 700hp on natrually aspirated stroker engines. Prices on porting varies, and you usually get what you pay for. I'm not as inexpensive as most people, but I'm not the most expensive either.

We set most customers up with well ported iron heads, oversize stainless valves, 3-angle valve job, resurface, new valve stem seals, locks and retainers, etc. Call or PM if interested, or you can pay a fee to gain access to a self porting website and do it yourself...but with stroker engines I think that expert porting is the wise thing to do.

Paul

429/460 Engine Fanatic

mrc013 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 64 Galaxie Convertible

Another question...........

This Galaxie runs too warm to suit me. The temp guage says 210 most of the time. I would like to gain a margin of safety with this new engine. What do you recomend for brand of water pump. I would like to continue running the 69 ford cross flow (new) including the factory shroud. Electric fans seem to be too noisy. Do the aluminum cross flow radiators really help enough to warrant the cost? I had a speed shop work on the timing, and the Unilite. It's better, but in Arizona, you need all the help you can get. Paul, I will look up your phone number, and call you about the heads for this build. Thanks to all you good old Ford boys for your help. I was born and raised on chevys! Why do I have this obsession with this Galaxie? Because I think it's cool, and most of all.......it's different than your run of the mill 57 Chev. I have owned several of those. There cool too, but ... just something about riding "on top" in a FORD.

mrc013 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 64 Galaxie Convertible

429 Water pumps

Are the water pumps, pre 1970 diffewrent on 429s? I am looking to purchase a hivolume pump from PAW, and they don't list anything pre 1970.

outsider is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

you can port the stock 460 heads for good performance or you can look into the aftermarket. Edelbrock and John Kasse both have awesome heads for the 385 series behemouths. the P-51 heads are killer heads for these engines even if its just a .30 over 466. you can't go wrong with a good 460

Reply To Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3