Welcome to Club Hot Rod!  The premier site for everything to do with Hot Rod, Customs, Low Riders, Rat Rods, and more. 

•  » Members from all over the US and the world!
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and hundreds of thousands of posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Thread: 2.5" or 3"???

Reply To Thread
    peteyx is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '74 Ranchero 429/C6

2.5" or 3"???

I need to decide what size exhaust system for my Ranchero. It has a 429, Edelbrock 750CFM carb and manifold, CompCams X4270H cam and HEI ignition. I am shopping for headers although those from Crites seem good. I want the exhaust to include an X- or H-pipe. I can choose 2-1/2" or 3" pipes. What is the best choice?

Dave Severson is offline CHR Member/Contributor Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '67 Ranchero, '57 Chevy, '82 Camaro,

Quote Originally Posted by peteyx
    I need to decide what size exhaust system for my Ranchero. It has a 429, Edelbrock 750CFM carb and manifold, CompCams X4270H cam and HEI ignition. I am shopping for headers although those from Crites seem good. I want the exhaust to include an X- or H-pipe. I can choose 2-1/2" or 3" pipes. What is the best choice?
    On a big block, the smaller 2 1/2" pipe seems to help the low and mid range power with an H-Pipe... I'm sure the engine experts now why, I just know from my own experience that the smaller pipe makes better streetable power....
    Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, Live for Today!
    Carroll Shelby

Learning must be difficult for those who already know it all!!!!

Sinister is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 76 camaro

A smaller pipe will give you more velocity and help expel the gasses quicker.

If the gasses exit quicker, it can create a kind of mild super-charging effect, helping to fill the combustion chamber.

I'd go with the 2.5 inch myself.
    I ain't dumb, I just ain't been showed a whole lot!

peteyx is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: '74 Ranchero 429/C6

That settles it. Thanks guys.

lightning1901 is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

i allways thought the larger the exhaust pipe the faster the fumes would get out, what if you didnt have the H or x pipe then what ?

if you had shorty headers and coupldnt put long tube headers on, if you ran a 3" pipe to the muffler would that help to simulate longer headers ?

Quote Originally Posted by lightning1901
    i allways thought the larger the exhaust pipe the faster the fumes would get out, what if you didnt have the H or x pipe then what ?
    The larger volume of the pipe would decrease the velocity of the exhaust flow..... Correct exhaust sizing is critical to get the right balance of volume and velocity.,....
    Carroll Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by lightning1901
    if you had shorty headers and coupldnt put long tube headers on, if you ran a 3" pipe to the muffler would that help to simulate longer headers ?
    Nope, doubt it would do anything good for the engine. Again, increasing the size does not necessarily improve the exhaust flow because of the velocity. It would be better to use a large tube header (even shorties). When shopping for headers, avoid the cheapies with the super tight bends, spend the extra $$$$ and get some good ones. I've always had very good results with BBK headers... Hookers are good, too.
    Carroll Shelby

i got a set of JBA shorties,

Sidedraft Deuce is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery
    Car Year, Make, Model: 32 Ford Hi Boy

Quote Originally Posted by peteyx

I would run a 2 1/2 Mandrel bent system if you have the funds. The 2 1/2 pipe can really bunch up going over the axle restricting flow. Just had one done with Delta 50 Flow masters and a cross over. Sounds Badazz. An X pipe works better at high RPM than an H but causes more clearance issues. For your setup I would use the H it makes maintenance easy. Chris

i am running a ford truck, weight 3800, have a 460 bored 30 over, edelbrock rmp intake and cam, edelbrok 800 carb, d9 heads that have been gasket matched, bowl blended, 3 angle ground, with a set of tri y headers will be straight exhaust about 4 ft long including magna flow mufflers dumped after the cab have a 4.11 posi rear end, should i go with x pipe or h and what size pipe ?

I'd go with mandrel bend 2 1/2" pipe. As for the X or H pipe, not sure. Putting my first ever H Pipe on my pickup cuz everyone sez it will help the performance and sound..... We were having this discussion the other day, maybe some of the guys with more experience or dyno time with crossovers will chime in.....
    Carroll Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Severson
    I'd go with mandrel bend 2 1/2" pipe.
    no bends, headers come out perfect, will be straight pipe, no cat's thinking of straight pipe with H pipe to mufflers and dumped off the mufflers,
    Last edited by lightning1901; 10-23-2007 at 02:22 PM.

outsider is offline CHR Member Visit my Photo Gallery

i got a 78LTD2 with a 514 in it. i used a set of hedman headers and 2-1/2 exhaust with flowmasters. sounds good and runs good although i'm considering removing the flowmasters and using some magnaflows. its been found that the flowmasters might be a bottle neck as rpms increase. on 460.com there has been several people who gained more torque and horsepower with just a muffler swap. good luck with your Ranchero there are not many good looking big block examples out there.

Reply To Thread